Notary Rotary
New
Notary Discussion History

New
Go Back to April, 2005 Index

Posted by Yoop/San Diego on 4/5/05 2:19pm
Msg #29749

New

I am thinking of a career as a notary signing agent in San Diego, CA. Would that be a good idea? Would it be possible to just quit my job and start with it?
Any suggestion is greatly appreciated because I am totally new to this.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/5/05 2:22pm
Msg #29753

Do not quit your job to do this.
You will find there are over 400 signing agents in the San Diego area, and refis seem to be slowing down.
If you plan on doing this, at least start out part time.

Reply by Veronica_CA on 4/5/05 2:30pm
Msg #29755

I'm in San Diego and I have to say that at this time if you don't have established relationships with mortgage companies, title cos, and signing services, you are not going to make enough money to make this a full-time job. Things have slowed down for a lot of my clients and I'm feeling it.

Good luck, whatever your decision is! Smiley

Reply by Anonymous on 4/5/05 2:34pm
Msg #29756

I'm a new California notary in San Diego too and am just starting out. I have 16 years real estate experience (legal secretary/assistant, notary, mortgage company closing department, real estate agent) in New Jersey. I'm hoping signing/mortgage/title companies I solicit will consider the NJ experience I have.

Reply by Dorothy/MI on 4/5/05 3:09pm
Msg #29763

This questions has been asked so many times in the past, I have copied and saved this so I don't have to retype it all the time (once or twice a week at least).

Advice for anyone just starting out. Depending on the area that you are in, you may or may not be able to get work, i.e. Many areas are saturated with notaries who fell for the NNA get rich quick scheme. Having said that, if you think you want to pursue this business, read every notary board you can find, learn all that you can learn, network (if possible) with other notaries and MARKET, MARKET, MARKET yourself. There is no fast road to success. Also be sure that you want the life style that we have to live (last minute signings, slow and or low pay, not being able to have much of a social life, especially from the 15th to the 25th of each month, be prepared to sit at a kitchen table trying to work while dinner was cooking, phones ringing and borrowers jumping up to answer, kids screaming, dogs barking, couples fighting, etc). All of us could tell you stories that would either curl your hair, or make it fall out,. You also should be someone who does not require a structured life because in this business (if you treat it like a business and not just pin money) almost everything is subject to change. It is not unusual to have five signings in your appointment book and end up with one or none due to cancellations or rescheduling! You will have little or no control over your schedule; you might have one for 9 a.m. and not another thing until 8 or 9 p.m. or 4 or 5 one day and then none for the next several days. And the problem with starting new in a saturated market is that everyone wants experience and references. When I started 3 years ago the business was at its zenith and the first 2 or 3 months, I was lucky to get 2 or 3 signings a week and I turned down nothing! I also worked at least 40 hours a week just trying to get business. Also, you will need a fast computer, a hi speed internet connection, a fast laser printer(PCL6), a plain paper fax machine, a copier, a reliable car and a cell phone with at least 1500 anytime minutes. Don't expect to recoup your initial investment for at least six to twelve months. I don't mean to paint such a black picture, but it is reality.

Reply by Laura_NH on 4/5/05 3:14pm
Msg #29765

This is great information! I appreciate it so much! I have been doing this for 2 months, and doing okay; but finding i am not charging enough, or making enough to even barely cover expense. Does anyone charge for fax backs for qc'ing? I had to fax back 23 pages today for a qc and at a buck a page; that was $23 dollars. At getting paid $55; plus gas, it doesnt make it worth my time.... am i doing something wrong??? any advice? and thank you in advance....laura

Reply by Ernest_CT on 4/5/05 3:19pm
Msg #29769

"a buck a page"?!

You mean you're paying somebody to fax for you?! You'll never survive. Your own fax machine is essential. Yes, you can use a virtual fax machine for inbound documents, but you've got to have your own physical fax machine for sending back signed documents. Paying Kinko's just won't work.

Reply by Laura_NH on 4/5/05 3:26pm
Msg #29770

Re: "a buck a page"?!

Yes, EACH time. I feel like i am putting more into this than the ss company. lol! I had 12 signings last month and after expenses of gas, edoc downloads ($10 bucks a pop+2 copies at 7c a page~no less than $25 bucks each) and a buck a page faxes; I just barely broke even. Sigh.

I will get a fax/scanner/copier/printer machine. I have been reading the board, most standard fees people are saying should be $75. Is that also for a certified signing agent? I am taking the NNA certified signing agent class, so i can have a certification. Or do people charge more if they are certified?

Reply by Anon_CA on 4/5/05 3:37pm
Msg #29772

That is a nightmare! But... in a pinch I have wondered about printing docs at Kinkos. How would I do that? Just drop the docs on a CD and take to Kinkos to print out? Anyone ever do this when their printer is down?

Reply by Ted_MI on 4/5/05 4:01pm
Msg #29775

Hi Anon,

I have printed docs (or rather have had docs printed) at Kinkos on several occasions. I have done it the way you indicated, but through trial and error I found the best way is to just email the docs to your local Kinko's office and just tell them exactly what you want in a cover letter (number of sets of copies; letter or legal, etc.) And then I also give them my time framework. A follow up call is also not a bad idea just to confirm and clue them in that you have sent them a project. This approach was much less time consuming.

Reply by Ernest_CT on 4/5/05 4:16pm
Msg #29781

Yes, Kinko's or Office Max or ... in an emergency, ...

... such as when my older fax machine bit the dust. But for day-in, day-out faxing and printing, the minimum you need something like an HP multi-function machine. Being able to print and copy (in my virtual jammies [don't ask; it's not a pretty sight]) at 11:30 PM, after getting back from the last signing of the day, in preparation for the first signing of the following day is, as the MasterCard commercial says, priceless.

Reply by Stephanie/CA on 4/5/05 4:28pm
Msg #29785

Re: Yes, Kinko's or Office Max or in an emergency,(Smiling!)

Reply by Victoria/FL on 4/5/05 4:24pm
Msg #29782

Thanks for the great information. I've been wondering about this myself.

Reply by CaliNotary on 4/5/05 4:27pm
Msg #29784

of course the real question is, why on earth haven't you already bought a laser printer and/or fax machine? You can get a cheapie fax machine for less than $50, why would you continue to pay a buck a page after doing it once?

Reply by Margaret/Florida on 4/5/05 4:42pm
Msg #29789

I started out with a cheap fax machine I got for $20.00 at a yard sale before I purchase the laser fax machine I have now that cost $200. You can also scan documents and use Efax from your computer. I scan documents into my laptop in my car and fax through email. All the equipment I have has been paid for with my earnings and has also enabled me to do much more than loan signings. I even have a Blackberry so I always have my email where ever I go. A lot of my inspection assignments come through email.

Reply by Laura_NH on 4/5/05 4:59pm
Msg #29792

I just bought a fax machine........

Okay, I went to Staples today and bought a Lexmark 4 in 1 fax/scanner/printer/copier machine for 150 bucks with a 50 buck rebate. It has a USB port and the computer i currently have running doesnt. giggle. So, I will be troubleshooting that tonight!

What is an inspection assignment? i see that the notary rotary asks if we do inspections. Inspections of what? Thanks for all your help, having you all to talk to is a great resource!
laura

Reply by CarolynCO on 4/5/05 5:11pm
Msg #29794

Re: 4-in-1 ...

Is this a laser or an inkjet? It doesn't matter so much with the fax, but it is an absolute must if you are going to be using the *printer* for e-docs that it be a laser. Also, is the *printer* PCL 5 or 6 compatible? If not, you *might* not be in any better shape to handle e-docs than before you bought it.

Reply by Laura_NH on 4/5/05 5:18pm
Msg #29796

okay, it has print cartridges, so its probably not a laser, eh? sigh. and as i am looking at this book i am not seeing that i can do legal size faxing either. hm. its a lexmark x6100, i will check out the websites. what does pcl 5 or 6 compatible mean?

Reply by CaliNotary on 4/5/05 5:37pm
Msg #29800

It means that you REALLY need to read the old messages on this board as it would be extremely beneficial for you as a signing agent. Printer types and PCL have been discussed ad naseum on this board and you would have gotten the right printer the first time with a little research.

Put "PCL" into the search button on this board and you should find all you need to know.

Reply by BrendaTX on 4/5/05 11:03pm
Msg #29873

Spelling Police

ad nauseum

I owed you one. Smiley

Reply by CaliNotary on 4/6/05 12:31am
Msg #29882

Re: Spelling Police

I think you owe me more than one, but good catch!

Reply by CaliNotary on 4/5/05 5:32pm
Msg #29798

Re: I just bought a fax machine........

Is it a laser printer or an inkjet? If it's not a PCL 5 or PCL 6 compliant laser printer you really should return it.

Reply by CaliNotary on 4/5/05 5:32pm
Msg #29799

D'oh! Is there an echo in here?

Reply by Anonymous on 4/5/05 10:21pm
Msg #29859

Could you please tell me the name brand of a good fax machine with pcl5 or pcl6
Thank you

Reply by BrendaTX on 4/5/05 10:25pm
Msg #29861

I use the HP 3015 fax/printer/scanner/copier. I like it a lot, so far. I have had it since July. Some don't care for it.

When I purchase a PCL capable back up, however, I will purchase a Brother. I have read many good things about Brother here.

Reply by Margaret/Florida on 4/5/05 6:14pm
Msg #29802

Residential, Commericial (Business) Insurance loss. I do these in between Notary signings. Like now when things are really slow. I always do research on the internet and I find all kinds of ways to make money. I am currently investigating another avenue of income but I am still researching it and even contemplating working part-time in the field to learn more, then start my own business. The internet is so full of resources but most people do not spend the time or spend money that it takes to do the research. I bought a book and I am reading it now.

Reply by Laura_NH on 4/5/05 6:19pm
Msg #29803

Re: residential commercial business insurance loss

are you talking about like being an insurance adjustor? i work in insurance during the day and do notary work in the evening to supplement my income. (divorced single mom, 3 kids, 2 of whom are teens, giggle). If I can use my notary for something insurance related, that would be AWESOME! can you tell me the name of the book you are reading? thanks, laura

Reply by Margaret/Florida on 4/5/05 6:31pm
Msg #29805

No, It is not insurance adjusting. Inspections for repairs completed, shopping center annual property inspections, and foreclosure inspections. I joined SOFI, the Society of Field Inspectors www.sofi.us and I purchased the field inspectors directory and I signed up with all the companies. I have gone to Texas and Colorado to train for different inspections. I have a background in Property Management and a HUD background. The foreclosure inspections are for HUD. Right now I would rather not say what book I am reading right now

Reply by Laura_NH on 4/5/05 6:50pm
Msg #29813

okay, cool. I will have to do some research on that. As for the book you are reading, i thought it was to do with Notary work, and inspections, informational sort and I was going to check it out.
I am sorry if I offended you or anyone else, as it seems i have: however, i also do my own research on the net, and that is how i found out about Notary work. From reading others posts, i saw that it was okay to ask for information from someone 50 miles or farther away, as then it is not seemed to be competition.

Reply by CaliNotary on 4/5/05 7:07pm
Msg #29821

"From reading others posts, i saw that it was okay to ask for information from someone 50 miles or farther away, as then it is not seemed to be competition. "

Keep in mind that this is a public board. Just because you might be hundreds of miles away doesn't mean that there arent 100 people within 10 miles of Margaret who are quietly reading her responses on this board with great interest.

Reply by Laura_NH on 4/5/05 8:43pm
Msg #29846

again thank you for your input.

Reply by CaliNotary on 4/5/05 6:34pm
Msg #29807

Subtle point?

"The internet is so full of resources but most people do not spend the time or spend money that it takes to do the research."

"can you tell me the name of the book you are reading?"

I don't really think that's the initiative Margaret was talking about. She spends her time looking for info that suits her needs, not asking others to give her the info they've come across.

Reply by Laura_NH on 4/5/05 6:47pm
Msg #29811

Re: Subtle point?

thank you for your opinion.

Reply by Margaret/Florida on 4/5/05 6:53pm
Msg #29815

I learned a few years ago after my online bookstore business sales started to decline. I sold used books on Amazon.com and on Ebay and Half.com. Business did very well for several years. I went to estate sales, garage sales, etc. and purchased hardback books for resale. I would pay as much as $1.00 for a book and resell for up to $25. Once I bought a whole box of books for .10 each, 1.00 for the whole box and sold two of the books for $50.00 each. I used my knowledge of books and the internet to make a pretty good living. People saw me buying up every out of print book I could find. I tried not to tell anyone what I was doing but other people started showing up and we were competeing with each other. I sold almost anything on ebay for a profit and I still do on occasion. I then started charging people to sell their stuff on ebay for a fee. This also was very profitable as I sold boats, cars, motorcycles and very expensive antiques. One of my clients was an antique shop and I sold a painting for $150,000 on ebay.
Sold a Rolltop desk for $12,500 and a sports car for $34,000. I worked out commission on all of the deals. I once sold all the equipment for a 1 hour Photo store for the owner. I was an Ebay Trading Assistant listed on Ebay, people got my name from Ebay and called me. No one told me how to do what I have done. In fact it has been 15 years since I have worked as an employee of anyone.

Reply by Laura_NH on 4/5/05 6:58pm
Msg #29819

Wow! that is awesome! I had no idea that people would actually buy something on ebay for 150k. I buy little stuff, but nothing like that....that is amazing. I hope in 15 yrs i wont be an employee of anyone but myself too! Thank you for your insight!

Reply by BrendaTX on 4/5/05 7:49pm
Msg #29836

Re: Subtle point? Margaret ...

Half.com & Amazon was "tha' bomb."

I, like Margaret, had a great book business before the market was flooded with booksellers. I, like Margaret, found a niche business in books and made lots of money on 10 cent books sold for $15, $1 books sold for as much as $75.

But, then too many booksellers made the supply too plentiful. One I have had and sold, but still have another copy of is Pleasant Avenue Connection by Durk, David which I paid $.50 current value is $150.00 for sale in same condition. The best deal I ever ran into was a $2 book which sold for over $300. I cannot remember the name of it, but it was a limited 1st ed. published post-humously in the 80's. One of my favorite things purchased for $2 (which I never attempted to resell) is my lithograph by John Gould of the Otis Macqueen - similar pieces are listed for $1200.

It was fun, wasn't it Margaret?

I, like Margaret, look for self-employment opportunity all the time. Neither of us, however, jump into a business without doing plenty of research.

Reply by Margaret/Florida on 4/5/05 10:07pm
Msg #29856

I once purchased a book for $3.00 and sold it for $350, there were only 2 on the internet and the other one was going for $600 and had been on sale for several months at that price. Mine sold in 2 hours. I priced my items to sell. The great thing about Amazon is you can place your order for a book on a waiting list, put what you are willing to pay and then when a seller has it and lists it for the price the buyer is willing to pay, boom you have a sale automatically. When you listed it, it would tell you how many buyers were waiting and how much they were willing to pay. You just priced it to the highest price. It was too easy.

I was the one who got Jeff Bezos (The Owner of Amazon.com)to give all us merchants a vacation button. We sold 24/7 7 days a week and had no way to take any time off. I sent him a Birthday present through Amazon.com and sent him a gift from his wish list. I encouraged other merchants to do the same and if he got enough requests, that he would help us. You have the option of enclosing a note with the gift. He contacted me personally to thank me.

Reply by BrendaTX on 4/5/05 10:21pm
Msg #29858

I was there when the vacation button arrived! I was very glad to see it come on.

Reply by Anonymous on 4/6/05 2:39pm
Msg #29970

GO MARGARET! WISH I GREW UP KNOWING SOMEONE LIKE YOU! I TOO AM NEW TO THE MOBILE NOTARY BUSINESS AND APPRECIATE ALL OF YOUR INSIGHTS!

Reply by christi/socal on 4/6/05 11:15am
Msg #29922

WOW.... I am in awe!!! n/m

Reply by Mysti_FL on 4/5/05 7:20pm
Msg #29824

Re: Margaret, Can I ask you an offline question?

Would you mind providing me your email address?
Mysti

Reply by Margaret_FL on 4/5/05 7:30pm
Msg #29828

Re: Margaret, Can I ask you an offline question?

My email is [e-mail address]

Reply by Reggie on 4/5/05 8:08pm
Msg #29841

Hi Margaret

How long did it take you to begin getting assignments for the Home Inspections? And what companies are you doing inspections for would you email me a list of those companies. I would be grateful it you did. My email address is in my profile just click on the orange square.

Thanks

Reggie
Kansas

Reply by BrendaTX on 4/5/05 10:36pm
Msg #29865

http://www.zomd.org/category_206261.html

Reggie, et al:

I did a search on yahoo.com for "field service company lender" and this was one of the links that turned up a list. Once you look over the links you'll get the hang of types of companies you can sign up with.

Also try searching yahoo or google for "property preservation"

Join http://groups.yahoo.com/group/fieldservicerepsneeded

Reply by Margaret/Florida on 4/5/05 10:58pm
Msg #29867

Try this link http://groups.yahoo.com/group/fieldrepsneeded

Reply by BrendaTX on 4/5/05 10:59pm
Msg #29869

Thanks, Margaret. n/m

Reply by Reggie on 4/6/05 12:18am
Msg #29880

Brenda TX

Thank you for the listing I have already used it. and I think it will give me many more places to look for the inspections.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.