Notary Rotary
New Notary Who to Get Started With
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2005 Index

Posted by dgreen on 4/15/05 9:45am
Msg #31930

I am a new notary and I was wondering if anyone could name a couple of companies who will send out a new notary without experience. I am trying to gain experience and I am also trying to go over the notary book. I am from Maryland and there is no class to take.

Thanks for your help.

Reply by Charm_AL on 4/15/05 9:57am
Msg #31933

There are tons of signing companies in the Signing Service tab.
Also reading all the past posts will help you become familiar with those that work with new people, those that pay low or slow or not at all.
Also when you post include your state with your name

Good Luck Smiley

Reply by Roger/OH on 4/15/05 10:01am
Msg #31935

I believe in Maryland you are required to be a Licensed Title Producer in order to do loan signings.
Check with your Secretary of State's office, or scroll through the forum to contact other Maryland notaries here.

Reply by BrendaTx on 4/15/05 10:03am
Msg #31937

Ooops...Roger's right. n/m

Reply by BrendaTx on 4/15/05 10:02am
Msg #31936

www.Landamerica.com - got my second signing from them

Pacdocsign.com - got my first signing from them

athomesignings.com - have heard they will give new notaries a shot

Reply by Art_MD on 4/15/05 10:09am
Msg #31942

Maryland requires a title producer's license to do any closing where there is title insurance being produced. That would be refi's, purchases and some helocs.

There is a section in the notary handbook regarding real estate closings and what you can't do.

Where in MD ??

For threads, in your search use "maryland"

Art

Reply by dgreen_MD on 4/15/05 10:19am
Msg #31945

Hey Art, I am in PG County. Now I had a loan done and a notary public completed it. She did not have a producer's license. She just witnessed the documents and it was a refi. I also read the document on the mortgage insurance website (I can't remember the addy right now). But it stipulated that if you were just witnessing documents then you did not need a title insurance producers license.

Okay I found the website it is http://www.mdlta.com/.

It says "A notary who merely attends a real estate closing or settlement that is conducted by another person or entity and who merely witnesses signatures in consideration of the statutory fees that a notary is permitted to charge does not, in the view of the MIA, fall within the scope of § 10-101(i) and is not required to secure a title insurance producer’s license in order to perform such services."

I also tried calling and I am waiting to hear back. What do you make of this?

Reply by Art_MD on 4/15/05 11:24am
Msg #31959

call me at 610-737-2159

Art

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/15/05 1:15pm
Msg #31978

Re: New Notary Who to Get Started With- Dgreen_MD

What this is saying, if I am reading it correctly, is if you are there just as a notary along with another person or entity (which would be a title officer or someone who holds the necessary title producers license) then you do not need the title producers license, and could only charge the notary fee for your state.

We are not just witnessing the documents, we are conducting the signing, no-one else is there with us, so as a signing agent, you would need the title producers license.

Reply by Reenie/CA on 4/15/05 11:50am
Msg #31961

The web address of www.landamerica.com is no good. Do you have any other contact information? Please advise.

Thanks!

Reply by BrendaTx on 4/15/05 12:01pm
Msg #31962

www.landam.com n/m

Reply by Reenie/CA on 4/15/05 8:33pm
Msg #32088

Re: www.landam.com n/m

Thanks much!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.