Notary Rotary
Notary at work question
Notary Discussion History

Notary at work question
Go Back to April, 2005 Index

Posted by Clint_CA on 4/15/05 1:02am
Msg #31894

Notary at work question

I have talked to my boss at work (not a notary related job) about offering to notorize documents for customers that come in. Since I will be on the clock the entire time, I offered to give the fees collected to the company I work for. My question is whether or not I would record the fee collected in my journal since the fee will be paid my employer, not me. For the record, my employer did not pay any of my expenses to become a notary and I do not have an agreement with them pertaining to providing notary services at this time.

Any imput appreciated.

Reply by Goldie_CA on 4/15/05 8:10am
Msg #31910

Yes, you still record the fee in your journal. Collect the fee from the customer yourself, your boss is not the notary public you are. If you are going to give the full fee to your employer it would probably be best to make a list of what was done each day and the fee that was charged. Example: 04/15/05 John & Mary Doe 2 signatures $20.00 Remember, your journal is your property and the information in it (addresses, drivers license numbers etc.)is private.

Reply by Hampton/CA on 4/15/05 9:23am
Msg #31925

The notary fees will still be considered income, so you will have to give your employer a 1099 at the end of the year for the amount that you gave to him, or else you will be liable for taxes on the fees collected.

Since it is your commission that you paid for, why are you giving all of the income to your employer. Even if you keep the fees, he will benefit by having a added service for his customers, which helps bring more people through his doors who may then buy more of his products.

Unless, of course, he is selling mortuary plots.

Reply by Brandi on 4/15/05 9:47am
Msg #31931

Re: 1099

Would he have to give his boss a 1099? Employees of places like banks and Postal Annex work for someone, turn over the money they make and don't give their empoyer a 1099.
Your journal doesn't have to match your income. Just asking

Reply by ca on 4/15/05 2:03pm
Msg #31997

Maybe it's me.... I would not be giving those fees away! Exactly what Hampton/CA said!

Reply by ManyBell_Tx on 4/15/05 4:14pm
Msg #32038

I am with you, I will not give those fees away you keep that money!!

Reply by BrendaTX on 4/15/05 4:17pm
Msg #32039

Journal/Info in it Query

*Remember, your journal is your property and the information in it (addresses, drivers license numbers etc.)is private.*

In Texas, I am almost sure (will have to re-check) that the info in our journals is public info which can be retrieved by a simple request from the public.

Is it different in CA?

Reply by brandi on 4/15/05 7:00pm
Msg #32065

Re: Journal/Info in it Query

Reply by Brandi on 4/15/05 7:11pm
Msg #32068

Re: Journal/Info in it Query in CA

8206 (c) Upon written request of any member of the public, which request shall include the name of the parties, the type of document, and the month and year in which notarized, the notary shall supply a photostatic copy of the line item representing the requested tracsaction at a cost of not more than thirty cents per page.

Reply by Stephanie_CA on 4/18/05 6:10pm
Msg #32519

Re: Journal/Info in it Query

It's the same in CA.
A written request is required to provide lines copied for requestor.

Reply by JanetK/CA on 4/16/05 1:20am
Msg #32162

I agree with the others questioning why you would give away your fees - except for the fact that you are talking about working on company time. If you did it on your own time (lunch, after hours) he wouldn't have any say about that. However, if you do decide to give away any fees generated, you should at least be reimbursed for all your expenses related to acquiring your commission OR perhaps you could arrange to keep fees generated up to your break-even point, then pass the fees on to the company, if you choose. Keep in mind that you are adding value to the company with nothing in return. Are you hoping that it will make you a more valuable employee and that he will recognize that when salary review time comes around? A possibility, I suppose, but you need to look at what the company track record has been for any similar situations. Good luck!

Reply by Clint_CA on 4/16/05 1:57am
Msg #32167

Thanks for all the input. My thought is that it does make me more valuable to the company and it will probably be rare that anyone actually comes in looking for a notary. Not the kind of business where you'd expect to find one. In recognition for this offer and other suggestions to help bring in more business, I did get a $2 an hour raise this week.

Reply by Mary on 4/16/05 4:22am
Msg #32169

Wow, Clint! That's a nice raise. Sounds like this offer did pay off for you. I'm glad. Smiley

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.