Notary Rotary
Really Bad Question for Sylvia or Brenda
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2005 Index

Posted by Mary Mantz on 4/21/05 2:44pm
Msg #33159

Okay. This is going to really get me some flack, and I deserve it - no question. But I've looked all over the site, and I cannot find anything like this (probably because no one else has ever had a question as dumb as this one!) But, I've got to know, so here goes:

I am currently studying to become an NSA, but I still have a lot to learn before I can get certified and go out on signings. Anyway, that said, when I became a notary, it was because the man I worked for needed to have stuff notarized regularly. Well, he has since passed away, and while I remember for a fact that we did purchase insurance for me, I cannot find the paperwork, and there is no way I am going to call his poor elderly wife to ask her if I can go dig through the stuff from his office (if you know what I mean - poor woman has other things to deal with right now.)

So, here's my really embarrassing question: Do you know how I can find out who my insurance carrier is? (Please don't hate me because I'm beautiful...oops! that has nothing to do with it, but I am incredibly fat - oops! I mean beautiful! LOL!)

Thanks! By the way, if there is no easy answer, I totally understand.

Reply by Dave C on 4/21/05 3:09pm
Msg #33164

The state you are a notary in will have a record of who is holding your bond.If any other insuance was taken out for errors or omissions it is probally with the same company.

Reply by Mary Mantz on 4/21/05 3:12pm
Msg #33165

Thanks, Dave! Smiley

Reply by BrendaTX on 4/21/05 4:34pm
Msg #33181

Really Easy Answer for Mary

Mary, If you are talking about your bond, you can call the SoS and ask them (I think) but read on....

I got my notary commssion re-newed through www.texasnotary.com and I DO NOT have a CLUE who my bond is through.

The main thing you need to know is that you cannot become a Texas Notary without your bond (Unless you go in under a government office like criminal clerk...different story.)

SSs have gotten this "Um...I don't know." answer from many...including ME .

It confuses them because I have had them call and ask me if this is the straight skinny after getting a few new apps. Yep. Hold your head high and tell them you cannot be a notary without this bond in place. For web forms...you can use your notary commission number for your Bond policy number and then send a note saying that is what you did.
If you are talking about your E&O insurance, I would say check with Western Surety, but I don't have a phone number on them to give you. I will find my policy and try to get it for you...but I don't think there's much on there to go by.

E&O is like $52 for $100,000 on NNA for Texas notaries...you can get E&O for about $30 for $35,000 so if you cannot find it, you can get it again. Harry may even sell it here. Not sure. It's cheap enough if you cannot find your policy. I'd be surprised if you had E&O at your former job, however. It's just not that big of a deal to the general employer at large (outside of our type of biz).

Reply by PAW_Fl on 4/21/05 5:16pm
Msg #33198

Re: Really Easy Answer for Mary

>>> SSs have gotten this "Um...I don't know." answer from many...including ME . <<<

When asked for a bond certificate number, I simply reply, "Held by the State of Florida". Works for me. Smiley

Reply by PAW_Fl on 4/21/05 5:33pm
Msg #33203

Not so easy answer for Brenda ...

But of course it would seem funny coming from BrendaTX. <gr&d>

Reply by BrendaTX on 4/21/05 5:37pm
Msg #33206

Re: Not so easy answer for Brenda ...

Thanks a lot Paul. I have been mass updating the last hour and putting "Held by the State of Florida."

Reply by Paul2_FL on 4/21/05 6:39pm
Msg #33224

Re: Held by the State of Florida

I received a bond number from the same Agency that I got my E&O Certificate from. Here's what happened.. Like most of you, an SS asked for the bond certificate number and since I didn't receive one when I got my E&O insurance, I called the bonding agency and asked for it. They told me they submit a block of names using one number to the State so there is no certificate. I simply asked for that number and voila I have my bond number!

Reply by Mary Mantz on 4/22/05 1:39am
Msg #33291

Re: Really Easy Answer for Mary

You know what? I think you're right. I don't think I actually have E&O; I have a bond. This is another keeper message! Thank you, Brenda!! (Again, I wish we could somehow save links to these great messages! I'm going to copy and paste all of these into a Word doc.)

Many thanks! Smiley

Reply by dcinnv on 4/21/05 6:58pm
Msg #33232

If you worked for him for long and he had a regular insurance agent or company they would have it or know who they got it from. That is how I found out my bond #. They even called Western Surety and got me a copy of it.

Reply by Hishughness, CaliNotary sub on 4/21/05 7:06pm
Msg #33235

The objection is not to dumb questions, not that yours is. The objection is to those who ask the question without ever having tried to find the answer themselves. You don't fit that category.

How long has it been since you took out insurance?

Reply by Mary Mantz on 4/22/05 1:43am
Msg #33292

Actually, after reading a message from Brenda, I'm now convinced that I did not get insurance; I got a bond. I'm going to call the SoS and find out that number. I'll go ahead and get the insurance after I get certified as an NSA, but before I actually try to start doing signings.

Thanks so much for your input, Mr. Hughness! Smiley

Reply by Art_MD on 4/22/05 7:02am
Msg #33302

If you are going to do any type of notarizations, I would consider getting E&O insurances now. The cost is minimal.

As I understand it, the bond protect the public against you somehow ripping them off and legal impropriaties. E&O protects you if you make an honest mistake and get sued.

Art

Reply by Mary Mantz on 4/22/05 3:05pm
Msg #33384

Thank you, Art. I really appreciate all the feedback from everyone. Smiley mmary

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.