Notary Rotary
SSN/Drivers License
Notary Discussion History

SSN/Drivers License
Go Back to April, 2005 Index

Posted by RP_CA on 4/19/05 6:07pm
Msg #32724

SSN/Drivers License

How do you guys feel about giving this info (and copies of your cards) out on applications to signing services? I know they need it if they pay you, but there are lots of signing companies I've signed up to and given this sensitive info (esp in these days where fraud is so rampant!) to who I haven't worked with yet. I'd like to just give it to them upon completion of my first signing with them.

Do you guys always fill it in or if you leave it blank will they still complete your registration and call you?

Thanks!

Reply by BeccaWI on 4/19/05 6:15pm
Msg #32727

I do give out my Drivers License(some suggest blacking out info you don't feel comfortable giving) but I do not give out my ss because I have a tax id. I have had no problem thus far.

Reply by MaggieMae_CA on 4/19/05 6:17pm
Msg #32728

The companies want to make sure you are who you say you are and that's tough. I can understand where they are coming from. I recommend getting a Federal ID number (EIN#) and sending the IRS letter confirming your EIN. That way you don't need to give out your social security number.

Food for thought... I worked for an adoption facilitator at one time. She had copies of my social security card, licenses, etc. I worked in her office. I was an employee paid by her company. I left after 9 months because I figured out she wasn't on the up and up. Just before I left I started receiving phone calls at home and at work for an Adrienne Smith. Turned out she was using my last name and her first name and my social security number to apply for credit cards.

This was someone I worked for. Someone I knew well. Someone I adopted two of my 3 children thru.

Reply by mobilesigner on 4/19/05 7:44pm
Msg #32734

I specifically got an EIN number for the simple fact that identity theft is on the rise and to me my ssn and dl number are precious alnog so my identity. You can get one from the irs website instantly.

Reply by christi/socal on 4/20/05 1:20am
Msg #32783

ein's are sooo easy & fast to get n\m

Reply by Dee-FL on 4/20/05 6:52am
Msg #32792

Great idea. I don't give out my social on the apps. either. I didn't know I could get one on the IRS website instantly. Thanks for that info.

Reply by RP_CA on 4/20/05 12:52pm
Msg #32889

Thanks for your input! I dug up my old EIN and called the IRS (which wasn't as painful as I thought it'd be!) to see if I could use that now. I just had to fill out a form with my new info and since my old EIN is still in their system, so I'm good to go.

MaggieMae, I can't believe that happened to you. I'm so sorry, and I hope you got it all straightened out with the credit bureaus and all. What a violation of your trust and a major headache!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.