Notary Rotary
Same Name Affidavit
Notary Discussion History

Same Name Affidavit
Go Back to April, 2005 Index

Posted by Grammy824 on 4/15/05 8:36pm
Msg #32091

Same Name Affidavit

Usually whenever I receive this document, the state and county are left blank for the notary to fill in, however, today I received the document with the state and county typed in. The state is correct, but the county is the county that the customer lives in, not the county that I am commissioned in. Should I line through the typed-in county and put in my county instead? If I were completing this information, I would put in my county.

Reply by Brandi on 4/15/05 8:38pm
Msg #32092

Yes, and initial the correction.

Reply by BrendaTX on 4/15/05 8:40pm
Msg #32093

STATE OF [Where the act of notarizing occurs] §
COUNTY OF [Where the act of notarizing occurs] §

Line through whatever needs to be corrected and put in the correct information.

Reply by Grammy824 on 4/15/05 8:46pm
Msg #32094

The signing was done at the customer's home, in their county (right over the line from my county).

Reply by BrendaTX on 4/15/05 8:52pm
Msg #32100

In Texas, jurisdiction is statewide.

The venue is where the act of notarizing the documents occurs. Period.

If you are only commissioned for covering one county, I cannot speak to this further as I have zero knowledge of that situation.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/15/05 8:56pm
Msg #32103

This is why it is so important to indicate your location in your name.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/15/05 8:47pm
Msg #32095

If you are doing the signing at the customers home, then the venue would be correct.
Notary certificates always reflect the venue where the notarial act is performed.

This is basic notary knowledge, and this is something you should really know.
Study your states notary laws thoroughly!

Reply by Grammy824 on 4/15/05 11:49pm
Msg #32156

I am new at this and am trying to learn. So afraid I'm going to make a mistake. Thanks for all the help.

Reply by Mary on 4/16/05 4:37am
Msg #32170

Hey, Grammy, I was JUST reading this article by Victoria Ring (author of "How to Start, Operate, and Market a Freelance Notary Signing Agent Business," a book I HIGHLY recommend - buy it on Amazon.com for $14.95) and she gives some excellent advice. In particular, she warns to IGNORE unfriendly responses to postings on notary message boards; after all, there are several ways to get any message across. Most of the people here seem to be friendly and helpful, but I did notice this one that chastises you for not knowing more. Ms. Ring suggests that message board exchanges are an EXCELLENT way to gain practical insight that studying simply cannot provide, so I say HANG IN THERE, and BEST OF LUCK! (I, too, am trying to learn, and I really get a lot from the boards on this site.) It takes courage to ask for help, and it's usually only someone who needs to feel superior who is going to slap you down. Smiley

Reply by BrendaTX on 4/16/05 9:11am
Msg #32182

Hey, Grammy, I was JUST reading this article by Victoria Ring (author of "How to Start, Operate, and Market a Freelance Notary Signing Agent Business," a book I HIGHLY recommend - buy it on Amazon.com for $14.95) and she gives some excellent advice.

>>I agree that many would have a little more insight if they'd read this book to get an *overview* of this business. VR comes from a paralegal background and had a background to build upon. Her #1 best advice in this book is get part-time employment in a title company if you don't have a clue about this business.<<

In particular, she warns to IGNORE unfriendly responses to postings on notary message boards; after all, there are several ways to get any message across. Most of the people here seem to be friendly and helpful, but I did notice this one that chastises you for not knowing more.

>>Her #2 best advice in this book is to get control of your emotions before you start this business. Never get mad. You cannot let yourself get huffy about exchanges on a board if you plan to be a business person.<<

Ms. Ring suggests that message board exchanges are an EXCELLENT way to gain practical insight that studying simply cannot provide,

>>Agreed!<<

so I say HANG IN THERE, and BEST OF LUCK! (I, too, am trying to learn, and I really get a lot from the boards on this site.) It takes courage to ask for help, and it's usually only someone who needs to feel superior who is going to slap you down.

>>And, no matter what anyone else needs to feel on the board, the only person who can "slap" you down is you. If a poster chooses to feel slapped down, they have been. <<

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/16/05 10:25am
Msg #32186

Re: Same Name Affidavit - Mary

I didn't notice anyone slapping Grammy down. Unless you are referring to where I said it was basic notary knowledge and she should study her state's notary laws.

That was just "friendly advice" and not meant to slap her down in any way, shape or form.

Reply by Mary on 4/16/05 11:25am
Msg #32190

Very true, but still no excuse for rudeness. Smiley

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/16/05 12:23pm
Msg #32195

Mary
I am sorry you read "rudeness" into my reply. It was not rude nor meant to be.

Reply by BrendaTX on 4/16/05 12:44pm
Msg #32197

About Rude - Sylvia

I find you disgustingly non-rude, and exceedingly polite--a true lady.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two truths I have recently learned:

"Rude" can mean something another person does not want to hear.

"Lies" can mean something another person does not want said.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 4/16/05 3:11pm
Msg #32217

Re: About none Rude - Sylvia

>>> I find you disgustingly non-rude, and exceedingly polite--a true lady. <<<

Ditto. Lady Sylvia is indeed a lady in every sense of the word. Her demeanor and decorum are always above reproach.

Reply by Mary on 4/16/05 12:43pm
Msg #32196

Really, Sylvia? Because you have a very patronizing way of stating things. Here is something you might want to consider when posting replies: Does your message ENCOURAGE the poster to continue asking questions? It should. You should NEVER discourage anyone from asking ANYTHING. We want to encourage people to ask questions, and that's true in any profession. If people feel intimidated, they will become more guarded in the questions they ask, thus limiting their learning potential. There is absolutely no reason to word something in a manner that makes a person feel bad about their question For instance, you stated, "This is basic notary knowledge, and this is something you should really know.
Study your states notary laws thoroughly!" Well, did you really need that exclamation point at the end? I don't think so. A more positive way to convey the same message (without the insult) might be, "A good way to learn more about your state's notary laws is to check your state's Secretary of State web site, blah, blah, blah." While it's true that we can choose to be insulted, etc., I still think it's much better to make an effort NOT to be insulting and rude. It's not good business, and people new to the business (such as I) might become intimidated or off-put.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/16/05 1:24pm
Msg #32208

Mary
I actually find your message rude!

And more to the point, I am more concerned that Grammy took my response in the way it was intended by me, and not they way you (and only you apparently) perceived it.

And sure I could have responded in the way you suggested, but "study your states notary laws" is short and to the point.

I really think this conversation with you is at an end. As Brenda stated, there are those who will find it rude if it is not the answer they want.

Anyone who has read my posts over the last 5 years knows that I am not rude, and certainly not patronizing. I have never refused to answer any question posed by those new to the industry, and have always helped out when I can - often looking up the posters phone number and calling them with help, or even telling them to look at my profile and call me if I can help.

I really do not need you to tell me how to reply to posts. Maybe you would like me to e-mail you my replies first for your approval before I post.

or, better yet, as you feel you are more gifted in responding to messages, I will just sit back and let you answer the questions.

Reply by Stephen_VA on 4/15/05 9:37pm
Msg #32111

I believe you are missing a fundamental point. The county that you are commissioned in, at least in Virginia, is nearly irrelevant. When you write out the notarial certificate the county should be where the act takes place.

Reply by brooke/ca on 4/15/05 11:25pm
Msg #32152

As Monica says-
WHERE IS YOURE BUTT AND WHAT DAY IS IT??LOLOLOOL
best advice ever

Reply by JanetK/CA on 4/16/05 1:36am
Msg #32165

On some documents there are two different places asking for a state and county on the notary certificate. The request underneath the notary signature line should not be confused with the venue. The venue (before the rest of the notarial wording) should ALWAYS be where the signing takes place. (If there isn't one, you should write it in, and if it is wrong, you should line through it and correct it. That happens often.) As Monica says, the venue is where your butt is parked for the signing. Under your signature, you will sometimes see wording that says something like "Notary Public in and for the state of....county of...." That's where you would fill in where your commission is registered. (At least that's how California is set up. Can't say about other states.)

Reply by Grammy824/NC on 4/16/05 4:02am
Msg #32168

Thank you, Janet. On thhe Deed oof Trust, under the acknowledgement, they had typed in the county where the couple lives. I lined through it and put in the county I am commissioned in. Like I said, I was unsure if I did the right thing because this line is usually not filled in by the lender when I receive it.

Reply by BrendaTX on 4/16/05 3:59pm
Msg #32228

Re-Visiting Grammy's Venue Problem

Sometimes I recieve docs where the blurb under the notary's signature says:

*Notary commissioned in and for the State of ____, County of ____.

A Texas notary's jurisdiction is statewide, the County of ___ has no relevance.

Therefore, the way I complete the above * line is:
Notary in and for the State of [Texas], County of [*N/A*]

(Statutorily correct verbiage is: Notary Public, State of Texas.)

Reply by PAW_Fl on 4/16/05 4:15pm
Msg #32233

Re: Re-Visiting Grammy's Venue Problem

A Florida Notary's jurisdiction is also statewide as is the same in just about all states (Louisiana, duly noted exception). However, the purpose of the County beneath the notary's name is for the county the commission is registered or issued in, not the county of jurisdiction. Now, Florida does not issue commissions by county, but at the state level, so we don't have a county of commission. When I see those lines beneath my signature, I write in "At Large" for the county.

Reply by Shannon_Va on 4/16/05 4:00pm
Msg #32229

You put in the county where you were when the borrowers signed, not the county where you received your commission. Your commission comes from the state so you can notorize anything within the state lines. You always put the county you are in when the borrwers sign. NOT where you received your commission from.

Reply by Ernest_CT on 4/16/05 4:06pm
Msg #32230

First, good luck.

Second, thank you for putting your state's abbreviation in your name. It does help!

Third, as other people have posted, you really do need to study thoroughly your own state's Notary Manual or Handbook. That advice is not offered as a put-down. You'll find it in many, many posts on this Forum. Knowing what county you should put in the notarial block is one of the most basic things any beginning notary must know. You must also know whether you are commissioned for the whole state or just your home county. These are just too basic questions for you to be signing loan documents. There's too much at risk for the borrowers.

We urge you to read all the posts on this Forum. Yes, all the way back to the beginning. You'll get a good education.

Again, good luck.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/16/05 4:48pm
Msg #32239

Re: Same Name Affidavit - Ernest

Be careful - Mary will accuse you of being rude and patronizingSmiley

Reply by ZLee_Califia on 4/16/05 6:32pm
Msg #32248

Injustice to Sylvia-Shame on Mary

I am fairly new to this industry/Notary Boards from California, and I was offended by the unjustified and out of line attack by Mary. I look forward to any and all comments by the experienced and always very gracious to others Sylvia. Mary is way out of line with her remarks and rightfully owes an apology to an obviously dedicated, well-informed and excellent teacher to us novices.

Z

Reply by Mary on 4/16/05 7:45pm
Msg #32253

Re: Injustice to Sylvia-Shame on Mary

I'm sorry. I clearly got it wrong. Please accept my apology.

Reply by Grammy824 on 4/16/05 11:25pm
Msg #32280

First of all, I want to thank all of you for taking the time to reply to my question. I appreciate all feedback and did not take offense to any of the responses. I wish I had my notary handbook here at home, but, unfortunately, I left it at my office over the weekend, so did not have it wwith me to look up the answer to my question. I do realize I need to read through and study it again (it has been almost five years since I received my commission). Also, I have never done a signing outside my own county, so this was something new for me. Again, thanks for all of your help!

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/16/05 11:43pm
Msg #32282

So happy to see my response did not offend youSmiley

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.