Notary Rotary
Scheduling
Notary Discussion History

Scheduling
Go Back to April, 2005 Index

Posted by Becky on 4/26/05 12:28pm
Msg #34047

Scheduling

Been stricken by bad luck lately. Been declining signings due to scheduling conflict and sometimes loose the confirmed signing due to reschedule or cancellation. **sigh**

I've noticed some of you say stuff like you have 4 tonight 3 tommorow 4 yesterday etc... When I get calls, everyone wants signing done between 5 - 8. I can only schedule 2 during those hours. Anything more, I won't have enough time. I allow at least an hour per signing plus travel time. I tried squeezing a third one in same neighborhood once and it was a mess when the first signing took more time.

Do you all negotiate appointment times with the schdulers? I feel that I'm declining more than I should.

Reply by Art_MD on 4/26/05 12:53pm
Msg #34059

I admit I "fudge" a little in scheduling one in a while.
I'll arrive 20 min early to the first, letting me just get to the 2nd on time, and maybe run 1/2 late on third. This is done when e-docs are involved or I know I'll ge the docs early (there are a few out there who do get them to you early in the day!!)

What I also try to do is to call the 1st borrowers and say " Is that time still best for you? I can make it earlier if its convientent". More often than not, they'll go for a little earlier.

Art

Reply by ColleenCA on 4/26/05 1:04pm
Msg #34063

Re: Scheduling- Good Question

Many of the contracts from SS's state that any appt. changes must be approved through the SS first. But, that seems silly if you are contacting the borrower to confirm and because of scheduling conflicts they don't mind changing the time to earlier or later. As long as I let the SS know that the borrower agreed to a different time, isn't that ok? Also, I have told a SS that I could conduct the signing at 6pm instead of the 8pm scheduled time due to a conflict, they said they would call back and never did. I guess that answers that question of trying to negotiate with the SS when they call with a specific time.

Reply by MaggieMae_CA on 4/26/05 1:08pm
Msg #34065

Hey Art... What about those contracts we sign that say we're going to go to the assigned location at the assigned time, etc.?

(With eDocs it can sometimes be impossible to abide by them because of the late arrivals of eDocs.)

In any case, has anyone of the different companies you act as a signing agent for ever complain that they've heard you show up early at a location? I've been tempted to get to a location a little early, but haven't because I've been worried the company would not like it.

Reply by Stephanie_CA on 4/26/05 2:02pm
Msg #34084

Re: Scheduling...MaggieMae_CA

Many of the companies that I work with prefer that I arrive 15 minutes prior to appt. time.

When I confirm with borrowers, I let them know I may be 10-15 mins. early; they never have a problem with that. On occasion, the borrowers will ask if I can come earlier.
So, it does seem to vary in regards to arriving early/before scheduled appt. time.

Reply by MaggieMae_CA on 4/26/05 2:53pm
Msg #34094

Re: Scheduling...MaggieMae_CA

Thanks Stephanie! Very good to know

Reply by Becky on 4/26/05 1:32pm
Msg #34074

Moving up 1st appointment sounds a good idea, if borrowers agree ahead of time. I take it you haven't gotten any heat from the schedullers. But what if you accepted the 3rd appointment and the 1st would not budge to change time? That would be a mess.

I usually allow extra time in case a situation arise where borrowers need to talk to LO or in case edoc comes in late for subsequent appointments. Am I being too conservative? Many TC and SS say that appt cannot be changed without their/LO approval; Do not be late; So, I usually limit myself to 2 appts between 5 - 8pm. I'm wondering how other SA get to do 4 a night without getting any heat from TC or SS by rescheduling, or is it really quite alright to move times up or down by 30mins or so?

Reply by Joan-OH on 4/26/05 8:50pm
Msg #34186

I try very hard not to overbook and never double book, but even the best of days can get ugly especially at the end of the month. At those times I handle it like this:

If I have a 6pm appointment with one right before it let's say @ 5pm, I might confirm, "Is 6 to 6:30 still good for you?". I usually get an affirmative response. If 6:30 isn't going to be acceptable because of the borrower's plans, I try to confirm my 5pm the same way except earlier - "I'll be there between 4:30 & 5. Is that OK?" You just have to feel them out. It helps that my GPS tells me exactly what time I will arive and I can call them 10 minutes before to tell them I am just a short distance away.

Joan-OH

Reply by Claudia_NJ on 4/26/05 1:28pm
Msg #34071

If I'm booked I always try to give an alternate time which they usually will agree to. They'll ask if I'm available for a closing at 6pm in XYZ and I'll say that I'm not available at 6pm but I can get there 7pm. Most times the TC/SS has no problem with the alternate time.

I'll also call the borrowers if the evening starts to get packed and try to re-organize the schedule in a manner that is more convenient for me. The traffic patterns alone can cause you to loose an hour sitting in traffic if you have to on the Parkway at 5pm but if you go on at 4:30 or at 6pm you may not hit any traffic so I just arrange it so it's convenient. I'll do the same if I have to jump from town to town - I'll arrange them so it makes the most sense logistically - I save on driving time and on gas.

Of course this is all dependant on the docs being ready.......

Reply by Becky on 4/26/05 1:35pm
Msg #34077

So you reschedule after getting your orders lined up? Are TC and SS generally quite understanding about this?

Reply by Claudia_NJ on 4/26/05 1:43pm
Msg #34080

I have never had a problem!

I can start doing sigings after 4pm so I beat most of the traffic out of my area. Once I have the docs it's up to me to get there and do the signing, if the borrowers are available to sign earlier or later I'll adjust as needed - unless the LO is going to meet me at the closing and can't adjust - which they have.

I work for mainly TC's and they know me and that the job will be done correctly - they don't care at what time it gets done as long as it's done. As long as the docs are ready then it's ok...

You have to look at this as your business and you are your own boss therefore you make your own schedule. As long as everyone is happy (the job is done) then I don't worry.

Reply by Becky on 4/26/05 1:47pm
Msg #34083

Ok- great tip Claudia (n/m)

Reply by Mike/NJ on 4/26/05 2:03pm
Msg #34086

Since its been slower this month TC have made a point about being on time now. Even Countrywide has docs ready early this month so I know things are slow if they're on time.

be carefull about pushing off times without letting the TC/SS know first. Could hurt you if its the wrong borrower or lender.

Reply by Claudia_NJ on 4/26/05 2:22pm
Msg #34088

As far as it goes for me I use common sense - If I need to change the time I call the borrower and ask if it would be ok if we changed it to 7 rather than 6 or vice-versa . if I get any kind of resistance I drop it and work it out on my own. The way I see it there's no harm in trying.....

Reply by MsRobboPA on 4/26/05 3:32pm
Msg #34103

I usually have the majority of my closings between 5 and 8 pm. Most borrowers are very flexible about adjusting their scheduled time and the SS are usually fairly good as long as you notify them that the time has changed. They would rather do this than not have the loan close! Another problem that SS run into are the notaries that double book. I have had many complaints about notaries being late especially when the closing is at a mortgage company. Let's face it, no one likes to wait.

Reply by VA_Notary on 4/26/05 3:40pm
Msg #34108

In my experience, as until now I was working full time, I would ask them if I can change the time to a later one and they always say as long as borrower agrees to it they don't have any problem...

Reply by Brijoe_WA on 4/26/05 4:06pm
Msg #34120

I had my wife bevome a notary and traned her on how to do loan signings. Now I can take all I can get and she will pick up the slack if I am double booked or over booked at all.

Reply by Becky on 4/26/05 5:33pm
Msg #34149

Each time I get a call for signing and there is a time conflict, I've asked if it would be alright to do it an hour later or after, whatever it is. TC/SS says they'll check and call back. But they don't call back which I presume that meant they found someone else who could do it at the exact time. By mistake I had double booked once and when I tried to reschedule after accepting the signing it became a big mess. Borrower was ok with it but SS didn't like it.

Reply by Ernest_CT on 4/26/05 11:14pm
Msg #34219

Don't double-book! It will come back to bite you!

Cancellations are a PITA, and we all get 'em. They're a fact of NSA life. They're especially annoying when we've turned down another signing. (sigh)

If a signing service finds out you've double-booked, be prepared for them to drop you. And they will find out! Signing services do call borrowers to check up on us.

Unlike the people in my area who seem to treat loan signing as a hobby (to be done in their spare time in the evenings and on the weekends), I do daytime signings as well as evenings and weekends. One borrower, whose appointment had been scheduled for 9:00 AM, told me when I called to confirm "You don't want to know what time I'd like to sign!" I assured him that I SERVE my signers, and that he should feel free to set the time at his (and his wife's) convenience. He asked if we could change the time to 7:30 AM. "Of course!" I said. "If that is more convenient for you, I'll see you at 7:30." (The signing service was thrilled. They'd been afraid to ask me for such am early time. Want to guess who was their hero, and who gets called?r)

For overnight docs, if the earliest appointment is already scheduled early enough, I could accept another two overnights if they were at appropriate intervals. More than three in an evening would be pressing my luck. Edocs are another story entirely.

The timing of edocs can be an absolutely nightmare! When they come in AFTER the appointment time AND with errors, that throws our whole schedule off. Beware of edocs when setting your schedule!

Good luck!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.