Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
She doesn't know he's refinancing....oops!
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2005 Index

Posted by Becky/KS on 4/20/05 3:42pm
Msg #32936

Called borrower to confirm appointment. Wife didn't know why a notary was calling to confirm an appointment. Started to get upset at the mention of "loan docs". She YELLED out to hubby who came to the phone and said that she doesn't know about it yet. My, my, my....think I'm going to have an interesting evening! Maybe I should keep my car unlock when I get there in case I need to make a quick exit!

Reply by Christina Dudaklian on 4/20/05 3:48pm
Msg #32937

lol you poor thing....those situations happen once in a blue moon but when they happen they're terrible. I've heard of borrowers throwing chairs at eachother and being drunk at the signings. good luck...

Reply by Melody on 4/20/05 4:41pm
Msg #32947

I've run into that

Those are MISERABLE signings.

Call the title company (not SS) and ask for advice. Tell them what you heard. See if you can get the title company to take charge of the situation.

Most LOs don't care. I would contact Title.

Does the TC or SS that hired you pay for no-funds? If yes, do they only pay a "trip fee?" If you don't get full pay if the loan doesn't fund, back out the job.

I would back out of it anyway.

Reply by Roger/OH on 4/20/05 5:05pm
Msg #32954

That's WHY most states...

have homestead/dower rights laws, so the other spouse knows what's going on with half of his/her money. Did he think she wouldn't have to sign the RTC, TIL, and mortgage (assuming KS is a dower state)?

Reply by Becky on 4/20/05 5:12pm
Msg #32960

Re: That's WHY most states...

Yes, KS is a dower state. Melody, I did immediately review my contract with SS. There is a cancellation clause. Signing location is 10 mins. away. If it goes down, I'll go to Cold Stone (5 mins from location) for my favorite cream cheese ice-cream with graham cracker mix. Got it all planned out!!! Pathetic fool I am. What a great excuse for ice-cream on this wickedly humid day in Kansas! Can you tell I have such a great sense of humour (for now)?

Reply by Ernest_CT on 4/20/05 7:55pm
Msg #32996

There's an earlier post about the messages we leave, ...

... and that we are not supposed to breach anyone's privacy by saying "loan", "mortgage", or anything similar.

Here's my script for leaving a message on an answering machine: "Hello this is Ernest ___, a notary public. I am calling to confirm an appointment for date/time at your home that is scheduled with (borrower's name and any other person that will be signing any other document).

Please feel free to call me at ###-#### with any questions you may have regarding this appointment. Please call me if for any reason you need to cancel our appointment.
If I am not avaliable for your call, please leave a message.

Once again, my number is ###-####.

Thank you!"

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/20/05 8:13pm
Msg #33000

Re: There's an earlier post about the messages we leave, ...

But when it is not an answering machine, and it is the borrowers wife, who has to sign some of the docs, there should not have been a problem.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.