Sylvia I've got a dumb question for you
Go Back to April, 2005 Index

Posted by Marie-fl on 4/15/05 9:41pm
Msg #32115

Sylvia I've got a dumb question for you

Reply by Marie-fl on 4/15/05 9:43pm
Msg #32118

Oops!

Now for the question. In a notorial certificate where it asks for type of ID which is correct:
a. Fl Drivers License
b. Fl DL

Reply by Marie-fl on 4/15/05 9:43pm
Msg #32119

Oops!

Now for the question. In a notorial certificate where it asks for type of ID which is correct:
a. Fl Drivers License
b. Fl DL

Reply by Stephen_VA on 4/15/05 9:45pm
Msg #32120

I am not Sylvia, but I just always write it out with the idea that there is no ambiguity.

Reply by Marie-fl on 4/15/05 9:51pm
Msg #32122

Yeah, I write it out too but I wouldn't mind saving a little time by using initials. I've had several signings where I'm the second notary (spouse signed in a different city or state then the docs where sent to me). The first notaries have all used D.L.. Just wanted to know if that was legal and acceptable.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/15/05 11:30pm
Msg #32154

I always put drivers license (if it is an out of state license then I indicate "Virginia drivers license or New jersey drivers license or whatever state the license is from.
But, I have seen certificates with DL on them.
If the blanks for the ID are not preprinted on the certificate and I have to write in "and who provided drivers license as identification" myself, then I just use the identification stamp sold her under the "Notary Supplies" - great timesaver.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 4/15/05 11:37pm
Msg #32155

I'm lazy when I can be. On recordable documents (deed, mortgage, etc.) I attempt to use my very best printing (which is still atrocious) and fully spell everything out. For ID, I always write "driver license" (I do not indicate which state issued the license). For other docs, I often write DRV LIC, especially when there is limited space.

Here's list of long and short forms that I typically use:
"military ID card" or abbreviate "military ID"
"state issued ID card" -- "state ID"
"Passport" -- "Passport" Smiley
"Inmate Identification Card" -- "DOC ID" (DOC stands for Dept of Corrections) or "DOJ ID"
"Sworn Law Enforcement Statement" -- "FDLE Stmt" (Florida Dept of Law Enforcement)

The DOC ID is only used for inmates that are in custody of the DOC and have an ID card assigned. The FDLE Statement is for inmates that are in custody, but have not had an ID card issued, so a written statement from a sworn law enforcement officer stating that the person's IDs have been confiscated and they identify the person to be the named person in the document.

Reply by Becca/FL on 4/16/05 8:31am
Msg #32181

I too started using abbrreviations. I used to write out "Fla. drivers license(s)" now I just use FLDL, FLID, etc.

Reply by Ernest_CT on 4/16/05 4:12pm
Msg #32232

On the docs I write out "Connecticut driver's license" but write CT DL in my journal.

Reply by Don-NoCA on 4/16/05 8:17pm
Msg #32258

I write "CA Photo Driver's License." I want them to know I saw something that identified the signer.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.