Notary Rotary
Waiting for docs...
Notary Discussion History

Waiting for docs...
Go Back to April, 2005 Index

Posted by THoermann on 4/25/05 8:35pm
Msg #33902

Waiting for docs...

I just wondered what others would do in my situation...it is 9:30 pm and I am still waiting for edocs. The drive is just over one hour...apparently it has to close today...the borrowers are fine so far with waiting for me until whenever. I don't care about the fee...but it is rainy and dark and late....how late is too late and can I reschedule without jepordizing my reputation??

Reply by Roger/OH on 4/25/05 8:56pm
Msg #33907

You give the company an absolute deadline for receiving the docs. After that time, they either find someone else or that borrower goes to the end of your appointments for the day (already there in your case). You may choose to go the extra mile in this situation to save the loan and score some points wityh the company, but as a general rule you can't let the companies control your time.

Reply by CTNotary on 4/25/05 8:57pm
Msg #33908

It's up to you how long you want to wait. I just had one of our closers go out now for a closing and it's an hour away...but we are being paid for the distance, etc. The end of the month always gets crazy. If it's not your main job and you don't depend on the income you make the call, but if it is...you never know when business will drop off...and it's nice to get the fee.

Reply by CarolynCO on 4/25/05 9:04pm
Msg #33909

Re: What time was the signing scheduled for?

My *drop dead* deadline for receiving e-docs is is two hours before the signing appointment. You have two plus hours of driving time ahead of you (RT), figure another hour for the signing -- it's going to be after midnight before you get back home. You have to decide how much longer you want to wait. Why is the fee not important to you?

Reply by THoermann on 4/25/05 9:07pm
Msg #33910

It was originally 8:00 and then 9:30....I just got the email...but still waiting for the HUD of course.

If we sign after midnight it is technically tomorrow anyway....???

I don't know what to do.

Reply by THoermann on 4/25/05 9:09pm
Msg #33911

I asked for 150 and he said that they are getting 150 so how about 125?? I said ok. I feel that I am getting the max and don't want to jepordize the relationship....

Reply by CarolynCO on 4/25/05 9:15pm
Msg #33912

You have to account for your travel time though (2+ hours). IMO, $125 is not enough for this distance. As for signing after midnight, technically, it would be tomorrow.

Reply by THoermann on 4/25/05 9:34pm
Msg #33916

Would you have pushed for more even when he said that he is only getting 150? or not taken the job...I need the $$.

Reply by CarolynCO on 4/25/05 10:10pm
Msg #33924

**Would you have pushed for more even when he said that he is only getting 150? or not taken the job...I need the $$.**

You need the money, but exactly how much are you going to *pocket* with this particular signing -- 2+ hours of driving in inclement weather, one hour for the signing, printing/copying the documents and waiting, waiting and still waiting for *all* the documents? Additionally, it's the end-of-the-month, and if the signing does actually have to be signed tonight, and considering the time already, could they really find someone else to do the signing if you were not accepting the $125? With all this added to the picture, no, I probably would not have even accepted it for $150.

Reply by BrendaTx on 4/25/05 10:16pm
Msg #33925

The old I'm just getting $150 routine...

If it is an AQ...it is probably paying the SS $250 - $300.

It does not matter what they are getting, set a price you'll profit on and stick with it. Otherwise, you'll get deeper into debt in the long run.

Thursday I got a call for an appt tomorrow. I quoted $100. NO! Too high! Ok.

Got a call back today for the signing at the price I quoted.

SS: Now you get right on that phone and call the borrower's as soon as we hang up! (Stupidity inferred...no offense taken...after all, I have walked through fire on the boards and I am not afraid of a little abrasive reprimand.)

While on the phone with the bwr's wife who said the appointment was for Wed 11/not Tues at 10. Also, it was in her husband's name so she would not be there...

Me thinking...hmmm, someone has got these folks pretty mixed up.

Then, the title company beeped in but I did not want to interrupt bwr so I called them back. They said to make darn sure I went there on time. 10 am sharp. No EXCEPTIONS!!!!!

I said "...alrighty then...but, the bwr's wife said it was at 11/Wed."

Title co: WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT???? WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT????
Me: (smiling and thinking about people who think POSTERS treat new nsa's rudely)
"...and the wife won't be there."

Title co: NO, NO, a thousand times NO. SHE HAS TO BE THERE...DID YOU TELL HER!!!!??? WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT????

Me: (smiling...thinking...posters...new...rudely) Actually, what I told her was I thought I'd better contact someone who would know for sure and that I would call her back.

Title co: Oh. Will you please hold while I call her on the other line?

Me: Certainly.

Moral of the story: Embrace the rudeness and smile...it's good training.

Reply by CarolynCO on 4/26/05 8:28am
Msg #33966

Re: Changing the subject, kind of.

Last week I got called by a TC begging me to do this particular refi signing that *HAD* to be signed the next day. He would overnight the docs and was $200 enough for me?? He was to fax the confirmation. It never came and I was also unable to call the Borrowers because I had no info. The next day I didn't get home until home 6:00 p.m. Package was here and I was going through it trying to find Borrowers phone number when my cell rang. It was the TC. He gave me their phone number at that time. I called and told them that I hadn't eaten all day and that I would be there in an hour after eating. Also, there was no confirmation in the package either -- I know, I know ... Borrowers only lived a couple of miles from me. Very cordial and nice people. We get five minutes into the signing and realize that it is an ARM and not fixed. Borrowers blow up -- not at me, but at the TC. Apparently, this has been going on for three months. I've never gotten to hear both sides of the conversation at the table when there is a problem, but Borrowers put their cell phone on hands free speaker. This guy is just sweet talking them like nothing flat all the while Borrowers are telling him that he lied to them and that it was supposed to be a Fixed and not ARM. The new refi's interest rate was one point higher than they already had, and their monthly payment was going to jump $200. This conversation went back and forth for 30 minutes while the Borrowers are just getting angrier because the loan officer isn't even listening and only thinking of the money he's going to be making off of it. He would make a good living at selling cars. The last thing the loan officer said was "well, I guess I'm going to have to pay the notary out of my own pocket." He didn't know that I heard him. Borrowers said they were witnesses and if I needed them, they would testify. Listening to how unethical this guy was, I decided that first, I would never get paid, and second, I didn't want to be a representative of this particular title company. I simply put the docs back in the envelope and FedExd them back without an invoice or anything. The loan officer didn't even bother calling me. Sometimes it's just better to eat the signing fee and instead accept the new-gained knowledge of the TC re ethics. The signing itself stopped after 5 minutes. Listening to the 2-way conversation was worth the 30 minutes "free."

Reply by Joan-OH on 4/26/05 8:36am
Msg #33970

Gotta love thpse speaker phones

Anymore, whenever I have to call in, I tell the company I am sitting here with the borrowers and you are on speaker phone.......

Works out much better that way. They are sooooo much nicer when the borrowers can listen in and I don't have to repeat everything to them.

Joan-OH

Reply by CarolynCO on 4/26/05 8:41pm
Msg #34182

Re: Gotta love thpse speaker phones

This guy was such a sleeze (sp ??). He talked to the Borrowers as though they were idiots and didn't know any better. During the intial call to me, he told me what a sweet deal he had given them. In all seriousness, why on earth would they refi for a point higher and an additional $200/month? I was just sitting there in awe while listening to his reasoning of how this would better the Borrowers. I knew that I wouldn't be able to comment after the call ended -- even if I had been able to, I was speechless.

Joan, btw, the SS from a month or so ago, has turned out to be a great company. Thanks for advising me to give them a chance to see for myself. I owe you.

Reply by Kari/CA on 4/25/05 10:21pm
Msg #33926

Check that Hud when if ever you get it.

And yes, after midnight is tomorrow, the date changes!

Reply by Nd_WA on 4/25/05 9:38pm
Msg #33918

Ask if the borrower can come to your place or meet you half way somewhere. That's if they really want to close tonight and understand the situation...IMO

Reply by Kari/CA on 4/25/05 10:28pm
Msg #33928

Good answer!!! I had them come to me once. I knew them and was still printing the docs at 10:30 pm. That way I could present the docs while the borrower set was printing and I didn't have to worry about finding the house in the dark. He was president of our HOA and every one around here seems to know my house.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.