Was wondering if people read this?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2005 Index

Posted by Mike/NJ on 4/20/05 9:19pm
Msg #33015

Important Notice
If you are going to ask a question, please consider consulting the Search feature before doing so. Many questions have been asked and answered repeatedly on this forum by expert notaries: Should I buy a laser printer? • What are e-docs? • What is a signing agent? • How much should I charge? • How do I get started? Answers to questions like these are just a few clicks away!

Reply by Becca/FL on 4/20/05 10:17pm
Msg #33028

Does make you wonder..........Hmmmmmm?

AND

If they can't read this simple piece, will they read the instructions from the contracting Co?

Ahhh, is this why Co's pay only $50?

Reply by Brijoe_WA on 4/20/05 10:37pm
Msg #33030

i wonder what the big deal is. Seems like every 3rd post is someone telling someone to use the search feature. What is the big deal if someone asks a simple question that may or may not have been answered in the past.

Reply by CaliNotary on 4/20/05 10:44pm
Msg #33032

It's the give a man a fish, teach a man to fish analogy. It's a much better learning tool than simply giving them the information with no effort on their part.

Not to mention, it gets quite boring seeing the same old questions asked and answered over and over and over again. This board is a discussion board for those already active in the industry, it's not really meant to be just a training ground for newbies, especially when most of the information they're looking for is already at their disposal. All they have to do is search for it.

Reply by Brijoe_WA on 4/20/05 11:02pm
Msg #33036

Ok, well Ill give ya the fish thing I agree with that analogy. But when you say its boring with the same old questions asked, its really no different than seeing all the post on here about "is this company good?, "anyone worked for this company? "Anyone heard of this company?". Now that is what bores me. We should all be concentrating and sharing more ideas on marketing, with the rate doing what they are doing we are all going to need as many ideas as we can get.

Reply by Becca/FL on 4/20/05 11:14pm
Msg #33038

>>>WE<<< get it! Others just don't.

Brenda eaplainded it last week, as only she can. I was educated, I think Brenda nailed it.

Reply by Anonymous on 4/21/05 12:17pm
Msg #33144

Okay, so now it's the newbies fault if the pay is low!! I'd say that we new people are trying VERY HARD to do it RIGHT, and we spend so darned much time searching the net, reading books, etc., trying to do everything we possibly can to get it right, that you can be darned sure WE WILL get it right once we get going!! So, maybe we miss a question that's been asked before. It doesn't make us idiots! As for repetition, well, I see the same few people posting the same patronizing thing day after day: "Search for the answer! Do it yourself! You have no right to ask such a basic question!" THAT is what gets boring. If you don't have time, or if you don't want to read the question, SKIP IT!! Turn the channel!! You don't HAVE to put your two cents in on every single issue!!! Leave it for someone who isn't going to get all bent out of shape about a question, for pity's sake!!! GEEEEEEEEEZ!!!

Reply by CarolynCO on 4/21/05 11:23pm
Msg #33272

and want umpteen faxbacks!

Reply by CaliNotary on 4/20/05 10:38pm
Msg #33031

Don't the messages on this board pretty much confirm how many people don't read it?

Reply by Anonymous on 4/20/05 11:08pm
Msg #33037

The messages on this board confirm there are many arrogant, self righteous, egotistical idiots here who think too highly of themselves and have no regard for the feelings of others. I wonder what your Higher Power thinks of you. I know I do not think very highly of many of you who keep slamming people who are simply asking for guidance and help.

Imagine if your parents were as cold and unnurturing as you are. What would the world be like?

Reply by Brijoe_WA on 4/20/05 11:25pm
Msg #33039

Well put Anon. I agree totally with your statement there.

Reply by Anonymous on 4/21/05 12:20pm
Msg #33145

Me, too!!! Me, tooo!!! OMGGGGG!!! ME TOOOO!!!!

Reply by Becca/FL on 4/20/05 11:39pm
Msg #33042

Keep my Higher Power out of this. That's between me & my higher power.

Have you not noticed that you are on a professional board? Please, keep it business ONLY. Everyone, quit crying and get on with it.

Reply by Anonymous on 4/20/05 11:49pm
Msg #33044

Truth hurts?

Professionals share their knowledge, expertise and strive to set and maintain standards in their industry. Seems to me the "professionals" here want to see others crash and burn while they stoke the fire.

Reply by JanetK/CA on 4/21/05 12:42am
Msg #33050

Here we go again...

I don't even know where to begin with this thread. I hate to say it, but I think some of you have your attitude a tad twisted. I may get flamed for this, but here goes...

First, here's some of what the old Webster dictionary I have says under "professional": "particpating for gain or livelihood in an activity or field of endeavor often engaged in by amateurs; engaged in by persons receiving financial return" and "characterized by or conforming to the technical or ethical standards of a profession."

Most people become professionals in their field by going through rigorous training, study and practice over time. And once they acquire their expertise, they rightly expect to get paid for it - not to give it away to anyone who asks. So when someone else doesn't appear willing to go through that process, but wants to benefit for free from the pros' hard earned expertise, it can certainly rub people the wrong way.

Just an example... If you were a tailor and others opened up tailor shops in your neighborhood (even though they were fairly new at it), then kept coming to you to ask simple questions that had answers easily available elsewhere, how would you feel about continuing to answer them over and over again? It doesn't mean you want the others to crash and burn, you just don't want to be taken advantage of or wast your time. After all, you are in business to make money.

No one here is under any obligation to provide anyone any answers - or to train their competition, which is essentially what is often being done. Answers are provided out of the goodness of their hearts and in the interest of bettering the profession. But no one owes anyone any answers. When people expect something to be provided to them and are unwilling to make take simple steps to learn it on their own, it's very easy to get soured on going through the effort. I'm not saying that everyone is doing that, but believe me, it does get old after a while. You begin to wonder why you should waste your valuable time if the other person is looking for shortcuts. And in fact, some of the most knowledgeable folks don't bother posting anymore. (Fortunately there are still a few left, as Brenda ably posted a few days ago...)

Sooo, folks, you can choose to continue filling up this message board with the same old questions over and over again and getting indignant with those who make good suggestions regarding how (with some effort, of course) you can avoid having to ask them. OR you can be thankful for having this resource at all and use it to its maximum potential. You and your business will be better off for it! If you're not willing to put in the effort, you don't deserve the results. And you may find you'll learn stuff you didn't even think to ask about!! What a concept!!! JMO

Reply by Jeanie-fl on 4/21/05 1:14am
Msg #33052

Re: Search feature

I've encountered problems with the search feature.

Example: My mother is also a signing agent. She asked me about a SS. I did a search on NotRot and found related listings. She however came up dry. Thinking it was "Mom's fault" I back tracked to lead her through it. Guess what? I came up dry. Tried again, double checking my spelling, still nothing. In all these searches the company name was listed the same way.

Several times since I've had similar search results. I've even copied and pasted the search criteria and come up with varing responses.

Moral of the story: If someone says they've performed a search give them the benefit of the doubt!

Reply by JanetK/CA on 4/21/05 1:33am
Msg #33055

You bring up a fair point - and good for you for trying. I have no quarrel with anyone who makes the effort. It's the ones who don't even bother - or wonder why they should - that my message above is directed to. Frankly, I've never tried to use the search feature on this message board, so maybe there's some work that needs to be done there? OR maybe someone else has some suggestions re: how to be more effective using this search feature??

Reply by Jeanie-fl on 4/21/05 2:12am
Msg #33057

My point was to give someone the benefit of doubt and that a search on this site isn't alway's reliable. However, I agree with Janet, I don't have a problem with people who do a search or understand why they should perform a search. If I can answer their questions I'm happy to do so.

Reply by BrendaTX on 4/21/05 10:54am
Msg #33119

Nothing happens overnight. Janet:

Janet,

Thanks for taking the time to post this. Unfortunately, it has surely been dismissed by those who could learn from it as "RUDE" (aka, not the answer they want to hear).

I don't think it's totally their fault because I think somewhere along the line they were sold a bill of goods that said being an NSA is easy money. "All you have to do is take this course, buy this list of companies, and you'll be set."

The actual work alone is not the problem if you take it seriously. It's getting the work and keeping it coming that's so difficult.

Lurking, researching, and learning is the key. To continue to tell those who *will* share that they are RUDE = Crippling Your NSA Business...removing a great tool...making it harder on yourself.

I have made personal friends from this board from Texas and other states who funnel great educational and lead info to me. I do likewise. However, if you want INSTANT friendship and NSA buddies...there ain't no such thing.

Patience and relationship building is a great key to success in this business.

Nothing happens overnight.

Reply by Anonymous on 4/21/05 12:25pm
Msg #33147

Re: Here we go again...

Your message implies that if we post questions here, we haven't tried to find the answer elsewhere. First of all, I wonder why this forum exists, if it's not to share knowledge, or at least to point people in the right direction, which is what most of us want. I see old members ask questions DAILY, the answers to which they could easily get elsewhere, such as information on filling out forms, etc. But they go to the other NSAs because these are the people with the practical experience. I cannot believe that none of you old members never used the boards to get help when you first started out. When I think of the time you waste writing your rude replies, I have to wonder why you complain at all. If you're worried about wasting your precious time, then why don't you just SHUT UP!?

Reply by NotaryAnon on 4/21/05 2:12pm
Msg #33155

sure, right, yeah...uh, no

" First of all, I wonder why this forum exists, if it's not to share knowledge, or at least to point people in the right direction, which is what most of us want."

REally????!!!!
If this is the truth, then people pointing to the SEARCH button is exactly what you say you newbies want. Get it straight...do you want it spoonfed to you so you don't have to sift through it all, or do you want us to point you in the right direction? I think oldies here are sick of the same questions and are pissed because no resources existed when we began. We had no choice but to educate ourselves with our own hard efforts. We're sick of people asking for contacts, asking questions that are often on the very page they ask it and people that are trying to take the short cut. In any vocation, you have to pay your dues to get better wages. This work is no different, yet some how, because they're now 'self-employed', the field must be leveled for them. Bull crap. I don't owe you anything. You chose to be here, you get to take the lumps like we did. I'm earning my way and not by mooching. Do likewise and you'll stop getting blistering responses from oldies here.

as for prices being low, that's two fold--newbies giving away the farm to get their feet wet, and signing services slitting each others throats by selling CHEAP instead of selling QUALITY to their clients. That's the only thing they can truly sell, price, 'casue the quality is sorely lacking. There is no such thing as CHEAP QUALITY--it just doesn't add up. Don't believe it? Well then, why are so many title co's starting to put together their own databases....to get rid of the cheap, slacker notaries that keep jacking up their closings.

Reply by Anonymous on 4/21/05 2:30pm
Msg #33156

Re: sure, right, yeah...uh, no

OMG!!! Just think of all the precious time you WASTED with your holier-than-thou message!!! Oh, my! Are you sure you can afford it??? If not, surely you can find a way to blame us for every little problem in your life! OH, WAIT! That's right! You don't HAVE

Reply by Anonymous on 4/21/05 2:31pm
Msg #33157

Re: sure, right, yeah...uh, no

Make that:
You don't HAVE a life! (oops! made an error!! Did I waste more of your precious time??? PLEASE forgive me!!!)

Reply by JUST ME on 4/21/05 2:36pm
Msg #33158

JUST A THOUG. wHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND. JESUS DIDN'T GIVE NEWBIES A HARD TIME DID HE.

Reply by Anon on 4/21/05 2:44pm
Msg #33160

No but Jesus helps those who help themselves.

Reply by CaliNotary on 4/22/05 1:26am
Msg #33288

"JESUS DIDN'T GIVE NEWBIES A HARD TIME DID HE."

I nominate this for funniest quote of the year. It's been a long long time since I picked up a bible, but I don't seem to remember signing agents being mentioned in it.

Reply by BrendaTX on 4/21/05 10:39am
Msg #33103

>>Truth hurts?<<

(1)
When people engage the tongue-clucking posture, they usually do so to gain some self-perceived control over others, and it seldom achieves the purposes desired but rather builds antagonism.

>>Professionals share their knowledge, expertise and strive to set and maintain standards in their industry. <<

(2)
If everytime you went to an professional association's meetings, and you heard a colleague tell you "if you want to get more clients do A, B, C..." But, you get angry and said RUDE! because you wanted them to do A, B, C *for* you... the association's members would probably shun you...maybe even hoped you'd find another profession.

>>Seems to me the "professionals" here want to see others crash and burn while they stoke the fire.<<

(3)
Refer to (2).

Reply by Paul_IL on 4/21/05 2:21am
Msg #33058

Another post from the Anonymous whiner!

Try not being a coward and post with your name.

Reply by Jeanie-fl on 4/21/05 3:02am
Msg #33061

Re: Another post

"Try not being a coward and post with your name"

Why? All to frequently if you have a different opionion you're cut down because of it on the boards. I can certainly appreciate an Anon or Anonymous opinion without thinking less of them. Especially if the subject concerns a Signing Company or Title Agency. They may receive a substantial amount of their income from this company. Why should they chance this income to public question or redicule?

Reply by Jay on 4/21/05 4:15am
Msg #33065

RIGHT ON!!!!!!!! and yes, that was shouting.

Reply by Anon on 4/21/05 6:30am
Msg #33068

Amen, Jay.

Reply by tee FL on 4/21/05 10:32am
Msg #33100

ABSOLUTLY!!!! I Agree Totally

Reply by Anonymous on 4/21/05 12:34pm
Msg #33149

Oh THANK YOU SO MUCH, Jeanie! THIS is why seeing people declare the IP address of others is SO alarming. The poster may want to be anonymous for reasons that have nothing to do with the hot shots on this board! And it might be really harmful to the poster for people to try to tell everyone else who the poster is. (Not to mention how downright scary it is to post opinions that differ from those of the old members!) But when someone tries to publicly identify anon postings, they are potentially causing financial harm to the poster. Thanks again for pointing out the obvious, Jeanie! Maybe it will cause people to reconsider before the blast the identities of others all over the board (doubtful, though, when I consider some of the posts I've seen - not sure they really care.)

Reply by Anon on 4/21/05 6:26am
Msg #33067

Amen and well said Anonymous

Reply by thnotary_NY on 4/21/05 9:21am
Msg #33083

To new persons, I being somewhat new myself can say that this search button works. In filling out an app. for a ss, they had one of these question and answer quizes. One question I wasn't sure about so I came here to do a search. Sure enough there was the answer, as if someone else had had the same question. Use it, it works.!!

Reply by Anonymous on 4/21/05 9:57am
Msg #33087

when it comes to the search feature for those real basic questions it can be helpful. However it doesn't always pull up the same result. The other thing that annoys me to no end is the fact that the search pulls up a thread containing many posts with one which mentions what is being searched for instead of the post that contains what is being searched for. I have gone through 13 posts or more a couple of times to find what I'm searching for and still have it not cover what I'm looking for. Very annoying and a waist of time...

Reply by Terri - CA on 4/21/05 10:47am
Msg #33111

Actually, try a Google Search. Or how about searching another board for the answer as well. When I first started, I googled, I searched various boards for information, sometimes found it and sometimes didn't. If I didn't find it, I read archives. Boy did I read and read. That's what helped me.

It's truly best to attempt to locate the information on your own, thus learning, then to ask that it be handed to you. That being said, it's hard for readers to determine if you've "searched" for the answer, when the post/message doesn't read as if you had. Perhaps the message should request assistance in searching for the information if what you've done came up dry?

Thoughts to think about.

Terri
Lancaster, CA

Reply by BrendaTX on 4/21/05 10:58am
Msg #33122

**I have gone through 13 posts or more a couple of times to find what I'm searching for and still have it not cover what I'm looking for. Very annoying and a waist of time...**

Yes, it is annoying, but IMHO you'll do well to develop the patience to do it. Patience and determination have been my friends.

Reply by Anonymous on 4/21/05 11:17am
Msg #33132

It's not just a patience thing. I have been on other boards (not notary ones) that use different software systems that just are far superior to this one in functionality. But when all is said and done there is some real good info here and I search for it. I've found alot of great stuff. I just hope I find what I'm looking for before my eyes are bugging out of my head. So maybe I'm just spoiled by other boards. If NotRot ever wants to update thier system I would be happy to share the ones I like and don't like. Till then I guess it's happy searching.

Reply by CaliNotary on 4/21/05 10:48am
Msg #33113

"Imagine if your parents were as cold and unnurturing as you are."

Well, since nobody on this board actually suckled at my teat, I'd say I don't owe anybody any sort of nurturing.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.