Notary Rotary
What do you answer?
Notary Discussion History

What do you answer?
Go Back to April, 2005 Index

Posted by Doris/CA on 4/11/05 1:55pm
Msg #30926

What do you answer?

I am new in signing. I had only one call on March 24. All last week I signed with companies, no call. This weekend we decided to go to Las Vegas. Saturday night my phone rang and the man said " I am a loan officer, can you do a signing tomorrow(sunday) morning." The voice was not very professional and crude anyway I answered "I am sorry I cannot tomorrow" so he said ok bye.
First I should have answer with my name Doris... speaking right? Should I say I am sorry I am booked tomorrow all day or I am out of town coming back tomorrow (sunday) but I can do monday.
Was it not suppose to name himself and the company he works for? I felt so bad all evening thinking I was not very professional but I got caught by his demeanor I guess. Help me for the next call and again excuse my english it is my second language.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/11/05 2:07pm
Msg #30929

OkSmiley

When a company calls me and says "I am a loan officer, can you do a signing etc", if I cannot do it, I would just answer as you did apologising but saying you cannot do it.

Now, if the same loan officer was to call and I was available, I would say "What company did you say you were with?" And when they tell me the name of the company, if is is one I want to do business with , I will tell him I am available, get the location of the signing and give my fee. I will also get his name for future reference.

Does this help?

Reply by Art_MD on 4/11/05 2:07pm
Msg #30930

I use my cell phone for business and personal. I always, unless the caller id tells me who it is, with my name - nothing else (just my way of answering).
If you are not available, just tell him you are unavailable. Usually, if the time conflicts with another closing, I give the person options as to when I'm available. i.e. If I have a 4:00 closing and the call is for one at 4, 4:30 or 5, I may say " I'm available at (if they didn't tell you where, ask and then do a quick mental calculation as to when you could get to the closing they are calling about ) x time. They may say thats fine.
I get many calls where they say the closing is at x time, when what they really need is for it to be done after x time. x is usually when the borrowers get home from work. If I'm available, I always give a time on that day that I am available. Trying to get the day changed is very difficult if there is any competition in your area.

It is very unprofessional for the person not to identify himself. It would throw up a "red flag" to me. To give him the benefit of the doubt, if it was a Sat nite, and he wanted a closing on a Sun, probably somebody screwed up, or a SA cancelled at the last minute and he was in a bind.

Hope this helps.

Reply by Ted_MI on 4/11/05 2:13pm
Msg #30933

Doris,

Yes, when you answer your phone, I think you always should give your name. At least that is what I always do. Like when my cell phone rings I always say: "Hello; Ted ________ speaking.". This way they know that they are talking to the person they are calling.

My general approach to how to respond to these matters is that honesty is generally the best policy. I suppose there are exceptions. Do I think it would have made any difference if you would have said "I could do it on Monday"? Nope. He wanted someone on Sunday morning.

Yes, i suppose he probably should have identified himself. Since he didn't I would have asked. Given your impressions of him, it doesn't sound like you missed a whole lot though.

Reply by Doris/CA on 4/11/05 2:35pm
Msg #30943

Thank you so much for all you answers. I have the feeling that I did not miss alot from this guy. So next time Doris _____ speaking and I am very sorry I can't tomorrow. I will also ask for the company he represents and his name.
So I should not say I am out of town or I am booked?

Thanks

Reply by Doris/CA on 4/11/05 3:18pm
Msg #30953

So I should not say I am out of town or I am booked?

Reply by Charm_AL on 4/11/05 3:22pm
Msg #30955

I simply answer my phones " Hello this is Cheryl"

If I can't take the job I simply say "I'm sorry, I wish I could, but that time is booked already.

Reply by Tami/Oh on 4/11/05 2:38pm
Msg #30945

First off..GOod Luck to you!

In my opinion you don't have to sound ultra professional when answering your cell phone. Mainly, because most know that they are calling your personal cell phone. I usually just say a cheery "Hello!". Then the signing service usually will say "Hello-Tami!" and they will proceed in letting me know their name and what signing service they are from. To me as far as our business is concerned, when the the signing services or title company calls just be pleasant and ready to listen to what they have to say. I wouldn't answer the phone while calling the kids or ordering food from a fast food restaurant-that may not sound the best. I make sure my cell phone voicemail sounds somewhat professional. Meaning, I give my full name and request a message be left and I will call back-thank you. I keep it simple. Most times calls from signing services are relatively quick. They ask if you can do a signing on this particular date and time. You answer yes or no and procede from there. They aren't really formal or anything. Most will say their name and company. Some will just give their name and I'll ask them what company are they from. Once you start doing jobs with the same company then you become more comfortable with the scheduler and it's more casual.

So, don't beat yourself up over this one. Other jobs will eventually call you. I don't know if you are a full or part-time signing agent, but I'm part-time and my first few calls I had to decline because they were during the day and I work full time during the day. That was really discouraging at first. However, I would always politely say "please call me for other signings in my area". I later started getting calls for times that I could do. It's basically hit or miss most times. They go down a list or however they get our names and if you can take the job-Great; if not they move on to the next person. I don't think it's personal. It gets easier when you start doing jobs for the same signing services and you get to know the schedulers. Even then you still decline jobs sometimes and if you do good work they call back!

Good luck.

Reply by sue on 4/11/05 3:29pm
Msg #30957

...most know that they are calling your personal cell phone...

Not me. I am a business, use a business line. I feel if someone wants to be in business they should answer their phone professionally each & every time they answer.

I am not making reference to you directly but perhaps that is one of the differences between those who survive in this business and those who drop out after a few months or a year.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 4/11/05 3:36pm
Msg #30961

I tend to agree. I have a "business" phone and it is answered as a business... "PAW Notary Services, this is Paul, how may I help you?"

Not only does this provide the caller with a professional salutation, but it stops telemarketers cold too, as they are not to be calling businesses.

Reply by Charm_AL on 4/11/05 3:41pm
Msg #30963

hey Paul...

I'd like to have a biz name, do I have to register it if I just use my name in it? Armentrout & Assoc.?

Reply by PAW_Fl on 4/11/05 4:04pm
Msg #30967

Re: hey Paul...

Check with the Alabama department or division that is responsible to business licensing. Most often, fictitious names that are made from the "owner's" name does not need to be registered, but this may be state specific, so check the statutes.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 4/11/05 4:19pm
Msg #30970

Re: hey Paul...

You may also want to read the information that is posted on this website ...
http://www.roninsoft.com/states/al.htm

Reply by Charm_AL on 4/11/05 4:23pm
Msg #30971

Thank You! My search skills are on leave today :)...n/m

Reply by Ernest_CT on 4/11/05 5:50pm
Msg #30991

I'm with sue and Paul.

"Good [time-of-day]! This is Ernest." is the way I always answer my cell phone. You must sound positive and professional.

Very often, at least in my expeience, a signing service MAY leave a message, but is more likely to just go to the next notary on their list. I've been in traffic when the cell rang, called back immediately after I could pull over, and the signing was already gone to another NSA.

By the way, when I've accepted (or declined) a signing from a company with whom I haven't worked before, I always ask where they found me. So far, Notary Rotary is far, far ahead. Although I've been a NNA member longer, I still haven't gotten a single referral from the NNA. (Are you listening, National Notary Association?) That's none. As in "zero".

Reply by PAW_Fl on 4/11/05 5:57pm
Msg #30996

Re: I'm with sue and Paul.

I was with the NNA for two years shortly after they "acquired" NASA. I never received any referrals or calls because of the listing with them (that I know of). I dropped my membership and have chosen not to renew with them for many reasons. Primarily because I see no benefit in being a member.

Reply by BrendaTx on 4/11/05 7:44pm
Msg #31032

Good ____, This is Brenda Stone.

Reply by Jon on 4/12/05 3:58am
Msg #31094

Hey dude, this is Jon. What's up????

Can't get any more professional than that, eh?? Smiley

Reply by Charm_AL on 4/11/05 3:38pm
Msg #30962

I disagree

imo...having a dedicated business line is not one of the reasons some do not make it. I can see by caller id if it's a friend or family, all others that I don't recognize, I say hello and state my first name. I also give my cell phone # to everyone, because if they can't reach me on a land line, they can get me thru cell anytime anywhere. I miss a lot less appointments that way, in fact many of my companies always just call my cell phone first.

Reply by sue on 4/11/05 9:32pm
Msg #31058

Re: I disagree

Charm, I didn't mean the business line, per se. I am talking about a less than professional attitude by many in this business. A few years ago someone posted that her husband was upset about middle of the night faxes - if someone wants to run their small part of a multi-billion dollar business from their bedroom that's one of the consequences. We've all read and heard about the lack of a dress code by some notaries. Almost all of us agree that kids don't belong at a signing, even those who on occasion who have had to take their kids - and yet some people feel it's perfectly fine. So, my point was that companies don't assume they're calling a personal cell phone - they are calling a business for a business purpose and the phone, along with everything else involved from start to finish, should be handled that way. If I call a business in the yellow pages I don't assume I'm calling the owner's personal cell phone - I assume I am calling the business and that is what we are. And, to save any bashing, none of this is personally directed at you or the original poster as I do not presume to know how any individual runs their part of this business - these are just general observations from being around a long time.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.