Notary Rotary
dates
Notary Discussion History

dates
Go Back to April, 2005 Index

Posted by jlynn mn on 4/7/05 8:22am
Msg #30114

dates

Im suppose to do a signing on Friday and have the docs already. The docs are dated for April 1st , they told me just to have the borrowers date everything for Fridays date and of course to notorize as of Fridays date. Does this sound right ?? Thanks

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/7/05 8:24am
Msg #30115

That is fine. The borrrowers are signing on Friday and signing with Friday's date and you are notarizing with Fridays date. Obviously the docs are not date sensitiveSmiley

(Now if they wanted everything dated for April 1st, there would be a problem)

Reply by jlynn on 4/7/05 8:26am
Msg #30116

THANK YOU n/m

Reply by Laura_NH on 4/7/05 9:07am
Msg #30119

NO! dont do it. Have them redate it.

Reply by Laura_NH on 4/7/05 9:08am
Msg #30123

okay, sorry. i reread it. you can date it for this fridays date, i read it that they wanted you to date it for last fridays date. sorry.

Reply by jlynn on 4/7/05 9:10am
Msg #30125

Just read your second email. Thanks n/m

Reply by jlynn mn on 4/7/05 9:09am
Msg #30124

Why have them redate them ?? I had also thought as long as the borrowers date the right date and I notorize it would be fine. Thank You

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/7/05 9:45am
Msg #30134

No, they do not redate the docs, they just sign with the date they are signing, and you notarize with the date you are doing the signing.
Just make sure the RTC is dated correctly, that is the only one you have to be really concerned with. If it isn't dated correctly, put a line through the incorrect date and correct it and have the borrowers initial the change.

Reply by jlynn on 4/7/05 9:52am
Msg #30135

Thank You n/m

Reply by Tecia on 4/7/05 11:28am
Msg #30155

Re: Thank You n/m

FYI: You never ever ever back date a document to aid a signing service because of their lack of preparing the docs "on time". I always turn those signings down. You can always notarize any document after it is signed and dated, but never back date "your" notarization.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/7/05 11:31am
Msg #30158

Re: Thank You n/m - Tecia

Tecia:

"You can always notarize any document after it is signed and dated,"

No, only if it is an acknowledgment. For a jurat the signer has to sign in front of you.

"Sworn and subscribed before me" - means you put them under oath and then they sign the document in your presence. An acknowledgment can be notarized after it has been signed and it does not need signing in your presence.

Reply by tecia on 4/7/05 3:33pm
Msg #30217

Thanks. But, I was referring to loan docs. I guess I missed something here. I've done so many loan docs that I don't think of anything else.

Reply by Tecia on 4/7/05 3:40pm
Msg #30221

Isn't that what I said??? But, you can not ever back date your notarization. I don't care what form you're filling out. If the party has signed & dated the doc. you can notarize it with the current date NOT the date that they placed on the doc. which could be days and days prior to them appoachiing you for your stamp. Maybe you missed something that I placed in the prior posting.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/7/05 6:12pm
Msg #30251

I was referring to:

You can always notarize any document after it is signed and dated, but never back date "your" notarization.

You are correct that you can notarize a document after it is signed and dated - but only if it is an acknowledgement. No matter if it was several years prior that it was signed and dated/

But if it is a jurat it has to be signed and dated in your presence.

Reply by Tecia on 4/8/05 9:00am
Msg #30352

Yes...I don't remember now if we were talking originally about a jurat or acknowledgment. But, thanks again. The jurat means here and now, right? The acknowledgment could have been at any time prior, right????

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.