Notary Rotary
fed up
Notary Discussion History

fed up
Go Back to April, 2005 Index

Posted by JJ_CA on 4/11/05 5:55pm
Msg #30995

fed up

I am so fed up with all signing services. I get a call for duty, have to negotiate my price (if you don't find out what kind of loan it is, you will get screwed printing all kinds of docs for 1st and 2nd loans not to mention client copies), do the signing flawlessly, return the docs.

Now, let the games began. Why is it that everyone involved with the transaction at closing will get paid except the notary. Isn't our job ultimately the "most" important. Afterall, nothing will record and close without our flawless work. But we are the ones being treated like 2nd class citizens. We have to go through all of this crap to get paid (maybe), spend more time faxing, calling, waiting, etc, etc, etc. I will definately stop working signing services and directly with brokers and escrow companies that I will have a contract with to get paid at closing like everyone one else.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 4/11/05 6:04pm
Msg #31001

Loan doesn't fund, no one gets paid

Read the rules about rescinding. If a borrower rescinds, within the RTC period, then the borrowers fees and costs are zero. If any had been paid, they are to be returned to the borrower to place the borrower in the same position as they were in the beginning of the process.

However, that should have no bearing on us getting paid, imo, as we are contracted by the title company, SS or lender to complete a job. It gets done. We should be paid just like FedEx gets paid to ship us the docs whether or not it funds. The title company, SS or lender must honor their contract. (Of course, you must live by the contract, if you have one, about payment and cause for non-payment of fees.)

Reply by Teddog on 4/11/05 6:09pm
Msg #31005

Re: Loan doesn't fund, no one gets paid

Here!!! Here!!! PAW FL

The Teddog

Reply by Teddog on 4/11/05 6:07pm
Msg #31003

I don't blame you! They offer you a screaming $50 to "Walk across Hell" for them. I'm a bit tired of it myself. Fight to get a decent fee, then fight to collect the fee. If I could find a GOOD paying job I sure would take it!
Sounds like you have had A Really BAD Day. Tomorrow is another day.
But, your idea to work directly with brokers and escrow companies is a Very Good one, and would save a lot of hassle time!!! What would these SS do if EVERY notary just said NO! I know! I'm a dreamer because it would never happen, although it would sure Level the playing ground!!!
Teddog

Reply by SSNOTARY on 4/11/05 6:12pm
Msg #31007

You go girl! Ain't it the truth.

Reply by Bobbi in CT on 4/11/05 6:14pm
Msg #31008

Answer: Because they can. So many hungry NSAs out there....

there is always another one waiting in line to take the job.
Until they ask themselves "Is this the high profit, make-my-own-hours, independent career I thought it would be?"

Reply by ssnotary on 4/11/05 6:15pm
Msg #31012

Re: Answer: Because they can. So many hungry NSAs out there....

I maintain my fulltime job, not letting that puppy go.....do the signings on the side.

Reply by JJ_CA on 4/11/05 6:24pm
Msg #31017

This is not my only income but I am just tired of begging for money that I worked for and getting paid one, two, three months later if at all. The rest of you notaries, god bless you but you can have this signing service scam job.

Reply by Teddog on 4/11/05 6:24pm
Msg #31018

ssnotary
Now you've got ! I do what you do I work my Full-Time job and do this as a side-line. I DO NOT
work anything for $50 bucks, it's not worth it. See my orginal comments RE: Notaries sticking together regarding their fees. Until they do we will fight this battle for a fair fee. It's only because some of us have a lot of experience we can ask and get our fees.
I'm with you on this one!!!!

The Teddog

Reply by SSNOTARY on 4/11/05 6:28pm
Msg #31021

Gotta have that steady check, medical and dental. I could see early on this would be a sideline type of business, at least for me. I'm with Teddog...

Reply by Teddog on 4/11/05 6:56pm
Msg #31028

To SSNOTARY

I can see we think alike! The First month I could see clearly Keep Your Day Job! The way they are Cranking out notaries (not all good) I really do not see how anyone could support themselves. I live in a rural area Colorado and there is not THAT much work. Like you say Steady check, medical and dental and feed the family (They could riot, if not fed on a steady basis) Ha! Ha! Plus I can see from these forums "a guy could go nuts" doing it full-time, everything starts getting on your nerves, if it's your only income.

The Best to You
The Teddog

Reply by ssnotary on 4/11/05 7:59pm
Msg #31035

Re: To SSNOTARY and Best to you also The Teddog

Reply by CA_Jeanet on 4/11/05 8:21pm
Msg #31046

I've been doing this for less than a year, and I can tell you that I saw immediately that you cannot pay your expenses connected with this business for $50.00 per signing. If others can, please call me, I would like to know your secrets.

Reply by Paul on 4/11/05 8:14pm
Msg #31042

NBot all signing cokpanies are bad. The fact is, the market is there. I get plenty of the 50.00 types and everyday at least 100 of those go out to notaries who seem to think that getting paid 50 bucks to do nice little heloc within 5 miles of thier own home - (printing costs more) is quite fair. Being a notary I noticede a lot thingts

1) We get ripped off by crooks (like the self-important idiot Mike Warner at documentservice.com) and

2) There is no standardization of the labor in a market that has 50 locations, each with sets of rules. I accept this as much for now.

I know that we try to be fair. And I get my ass chewed off a lot in her trying to explain that, but, it doesn't bother me. We have plenty of notaries who make 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 125 too! Thankfully our procssor's are so good! Every job is different, with a specific need or needs.

The bottom line for me is: I don't ask a notary for 75.00 service, when I pay 50.00, and I don't turn down 50.00 if the signing is WORTH THAT MUCH and not 75.00. Someone out there needs it. Or wants it. I, personally, can always use 50.00 for something. (Maybe a gallon of gas!)

I have a weird feeling about the staunchest ones in here...they talk about the joys of meeting people and all the neat things that make us singular and unique, and then say " I mock all the 50 dollar signings - I never leave the house for less than 80.00!" Well, I don't remember any millionaire talking about how wise it is to leave 50 bucks on the table. I have 10,000 people who agree with that, and they make a different amount for different jobs, and we tailor that fee everytime - oh yeah and I pay fast too. Within 48 hours.

I also have several notaries who, like my fave, Ed Edelman in NY, who "Wait for the big apples to fdall off the tree, instead fo climbing the tree for the little apples" It's all apples, and I sell them. I don't sell a 50 dollar apple for 75 bux and I don't ask someone to charge 50 for a 75.00 apple - fair's fair and I honestly think that the right thing to do is to work together and make ALL THE APPLES GO INTO ALL OUR BASKETS!

Right Ed?

Reply by Susie/OH on 4/11/05 9:34pm
Msg #31059

Just think. Gas going up and companies want us to cut fees

Reply by Melody on 4/12/05 12:00am
Msg #31072

Please don't take less than $100

I don't work for less than $100 per signing.

That means overnight docs with the signing to take place within 5 miles.

I wish all NSAs would do the same. If we would all turn down under-$100-signings, the prices would be forced up for everyone.

You think I am rich to be able to turn away lower-priced work. I am not. I would rather babysit than feel taken advantage of by these SS leeches.

I further fantasize that all part time NSAs not accept signings for less than $100. After all, why shouldn't they? From their full-time jobs, they have health insurance, vacation pay, and other benefits we full-time NSAs do not have. The part-timers can afford to turn away the low-pay jobs.

Reply by Raquel on 4/12/05 12:27pm
Msg #31160

Wow, from what you're describing, I wouldn't want to deal with all of that either. I am considering attending a Notary Signing Agent seminar next month in Tampa and am realizing that maybe I should reconsider.

Why wouldn't you get paid the same day as the other parties do? Just curious.. How long does it normally take you to get paid?

What would be the difference in your pay or classification if you were to work directly with brokers or escrow companies? For example, would you have to have an additional certification or license? Would one benefit by taking a necessary test(-s) to gain such credentials, regardless of working with a signing service or brokers and escrow companies? I know I'm taking up you're valuable time, but would really appreciate any info/insight that you or any other Notary Signing Agents have to offer.

So, it sounds like the packages you receive for closing are not "ready" for the closing. Is this correct? Sounds like there are documents that you are responsible for printing from your own computer and faxing to the lender? I figured that there would be approximnately 2-3 hours to allow for each signing - including travel, communication w/the lender and borrowers, etc, aside from the actual signing itself. However, it sounds like it could typically take more time. How long would you say the average amount of time and effort is for a single signing/client?

I sincerely appreciate your reply and wish you the best. Surely, things will improve for you.

Raquel

Reply by Raq on 4/12/05 12:48pm
Msg #31169

just read alot of the replies to the original message and whoa... maybe it's definitely better to work with escrow companies and brokers if payment would be received same day or a heck of alot sooner than 1, 2 months or more.

anyway, does anyone know how easy or difficult it would be to work for a mortgage company doing signings?

Thanks,
Raq

Reply by Marla_NorCal on 4/12/05 4:18pm
Msg #31258

Raquel,

It's a supply and demand market. Title Companies and Lenders don't want to spend their time=manpower chasing down a notary for each loan they close, so a "niche" was created for the signing companies, who contract w/these agencies and get volumne business. A lender/Title company simply faxes/sends the ss a list of loans needing closing agents......You, as an NSA, have signed up w/ xyz ss and you get the call. This is a very simplified answer to your question, but I think you can get the picture. It's our job to try to 1. Keep our prices up to insure we don't erode the value of the job we do. 2. Research and report companies that are bad in payment issues or not ethical. 3. Be the best you can be by knowing all there is to know about your states laws and possess a very good understanding of the loan process and the documents you will be handling.
Best of Luck, Marla

Reply by Raq on 4/12/05 11:00pm
Msg #31365

Marla,
I really appreciate the info.
Thanks and take care,
Raquel

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.