Notary Rotary
initials
Notary Discussion History

initials
Go Back to April, 2005 Index

Posted by Sue/CA on 4/26/05 12:02am
Msg #33936

initials

I just got back from a signing and noticed that they initialed all the docs with their middle name JRS instead of JS. I just glanced to make sure they initialed them, not how. What a lesson I just learned. The husband has a meeting in the morning and has no time to redo them all and they are leaving for 2 weeks right after that. I am so upset. Do I have them cross them out and put the correct ones or redo all the docs? TIA!!!

Reply by Bob-Chicago on 4/26/05 12:25am
Msg #33938

Probably not a problem

Reply by Bob-Chicago on 4/26/05 12:29am
Msg #33940

Re: Probably not a problem--OOPS

Might be a problem if name was Joh P Jones and they just did JJ, but to my mind too many initials should not be a problem. Check with titlle co if you can.
If you had them cross out one letter of initialals and re-initial, it would raise a big red flag.
I would be suprised if anyone even noticed

Reply by Ernest_CT on 4/26/05 12:28am
Msg #33939

Do NOT cross out what the borrowers have written!

You should be OK. If the names on the documents say "John Smith" and the borrower initialed as "JRS" then you should be perfectly fine. If, however, the documents read "John R. Smith" and the borrower initialed as "JS", then there might be cause for concern.

In any event, contact your signing service immediately and ask their opinion.

Best of luck!

Reply by Bob-Chicago on 4/26/05 12:30am
Msg #33941

Talk about great minds thinking alike....

Reply by Ernest_CT on 4/26/05 12:32am
Msg #33943

Yup. You type more quickly, though. n/m

Reply by HisHughness on 4/26/05 1:11am
Msg #33951

Texas does not have a statute requiring that corrections be initialed, as far as I know. It is simply a commonsense measure that is required by many people or organizations -- not just title companies -- to ensure that no one other than the signer has tampered with the document. It is common practice for legal documents of all sorts.

If there is no legal requirement, then two initials rather than three should fly, and certainly three initials rather than two should present no problem. Although you may sometimes find an overzealous clerk who would refuse to record it that way, though I think even that is unlikely.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.