Notary Rotary
Curious and somewhat irritating
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2005 Index

Posted by Charles_CA on 8/31/05 4:27pm
Msg #62994

I have always suspected that many of the emergencies and problems touted by some of our SSs are just another attempt at manipulation of the notary. I have a relatively local SS I work with and they have been regulars, I also like the people personally: they are freindly and easy to work with. The other day I did a sigining for a reverse mortgage. I was called a day later to tell me that I missed signing a document in the package. I was surprised because the title company this came from is one of my absolute favorites. All the signature and initial lines have red arrows stamped on them and each page that has notarization required has a little yellow tag requesting additional information but it flags the pages extremely well, virtually impossible to make a mistake.

I received the errant document with the red arrows and yellow tag attached and also a FedEx envelope and prepaid waybill. I did the notarization and called in the tracking numbers to the title company to let them know that it was on its way. The title officer was very nice and apologetic for having missed placing the document in the package in the first place.

Now the couple who was getting the reerse mortgage was an elderly neighbor of mine, very nice people. If the SSs had asked me to make the additional trip 9a block away) I would have done it anyway and not charged them for it. It is funny and irritating at the same time that the SSs has to make it look like I made the mistake to justify having me go out again: and they probably got paid by the title company. I really hate it when someone tries to manipulate me. Oh well c'est la guerre!

Reply by Teasa Mahar on 8/31/05 4:53pm
Msg #63004

So heavy handed. Like we are children and can't figure it out. It is so much easier to be honest and forthright for everyone. We all make mistakes and so do they, just own up. Bad notary, bad, bad notary.

Reply by BrendaTX on 8/31/05 5:00pm
Msg #63006

Once I got in a conflict with NOTR. It was clear that I was following the rules and they were looking for me to bend them.

I told them NO, that I did not bend them, to keep their check and never call again.

But, that guy on the phone with me was only interested in berating me...or somebody. He was mad because I told him if he'd hold on I would get a quick answer from the SOS. It was like he was getting so much out of it, too. I tried letting him berate and finally I said, "ok...don't pay me, don't call me again, what else can I do to get you off the phone besides hanging up on you?" He said" I want you to listen to me and get it through your head why we do things like we do. You need to understand...." So, I said "Wait! Here you go--I am a bad, bad notary! Now, will you get off my phone."

He did not and I finally had to hang up on him...twice more.

Whack job. But, even though I said not to worry about the check, they sent it anyhow.

Reply by Teasa Mahar on 8/31/05 5:03pm
Msg #63008

Brenda, Des Je Vu, (sp) You Bad, Bad Notay. Like bad doggie

Reply by TitleGalCA on 8/31/05 5:25pm
Msg #63015

Re: Brenda, Des Je Vu, (sp) You Bad, Bad Notay. Like bad doggie

I still keep laughing, thinking of an anonymous SS who was threatening everyone in a thread..."you better watch what you say"....so very childish.

If he hadn't berated you Brenda...he would have gone home and kicked the dog. You saved a dog. Bless you.

Reply by TitleGalCA on 8/31/05 4:58pm
Msg #63005

ggggrrrrrrr...that's just terrible. You know, so many of these SS assume we don't know those folks who are signing THEIR paychecks.

Bad assumption.

Any chance of having futher conversation with your favorite title company...along with an invitation to contact you direct for all your future signings with them?

Reply by Barry Silver on 8/31/05 6:16pm
Msg #63022

Let's just hope that we will not be overtaken as was the fortress built by General Maginot on the French/German border whether it be war or peace, and no, not the famous novel.

Reply by CaliNotary on 8/31/05 7:05pm
Msg #63042

Since it's a SS that uses you regularly it's a tough call. Normally, I'd lean towards calling them on the fact that they lied to you to get you to do something for free, and also letting the title officer know that they told you that it was your fault the document was missed. If they're going to behave that unethically toward you I see absolutely NO problem with you trying to get the title business directly.

But at the same time, you don't wanna cut off your nose to spite your face. Principles are good, but we do have to earn a living as well and sometimes we just have to suck things up. Either way, I would definitely let the SS know that the title company told you that THEY missed the document and let the SS kiss your butt with an apology while you remind them that you don't make careless mistakes like that. Hopefully they'll get the subtle message that we have a way of finding out these things.

Reply by Debbie Compton on 8/31/05 8:38pm
Msg #63080

I had Veri Docs email me today for one they agreed to and want to reduce the amount because he thought I made too much. I have sent a long letter stating that the 20.00 profit I made is hardly too much and will file complaints accordingly if not paid. I just don't get it!

Reply by Charles_CA on 8/31/05 9:27pm
Msg #63107

Re: Curious - Thanks all

I am sure that we all have these types of situations. I still like the people and I have no problems with the title company as a realtor they get a lot of my business so its kind of what goes around comes around: its all good!

I'm kind of scratching my head about the Maginot line which I see as one of WW II's disatrous touchbacks to previous wars. A defensive tactic whose time had long gone.

It's kind of funny but I try to keep things in perspective. Sometimes people get abusive because they are afraid, have had bad experiences and don't realize they are dealing with someone who believes in making the deal work. Thanks again all who replied, this bulletin board is a nice community and I've actualy met some people whom I genuinely enjoy chatting with.

Reply by Barry Silver on 8/31/05 11:08pm
Msg #63153

Re: Curious - Thanks all

Don't scratch your head about the Maginot line. You interpreted correctly. No use letting someone make a simple situation as disaterous as the Maginot line.

Many times, people yell because they are insecure about something, and that leads to the fear that you mentioned. That's a problem the other person must eventually face and overcome.

Reply by Kate on 9/1/05 12:20am
Msg #63171

Why don't you mention to the SS that the Title company apolgized to you for misplacing it.
That way they will know that you know the truth. You don't need to mention that you suspect them of lying to you for the fee.

I had one recently, Title called to see if there had been a Certification of Trust in the package.
I said "no". Mrs borrower brought out the trust when I asked that they sign as trustee. I had to explain, the process to them as they just got the trust in FEB. Since the Escrow person didn't accuse me of missing it, I told her to just email it to me and I would run over there and get it taken care of, no charge, she thought I was great. These were nice, but very poor people, just wanted to get this processed for them asap. The SS was not involved, they pay good thou, thought my actions would reflect favorably for them with the title company.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.