Notary Rotary
Decision to become a notary
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2005 Index

Posted by Michelle in San Diego on 8/17/05 9:37pm
Msg #59791

There seems to be a lot of headaches in your business.....is the market glutted with notaries, are there more headaches being a notary than it's worth?

Reply by Glenn_CA on 8/17/05 9:55pm
Msg #59794

I think the market is getting glutted because you have radio commercials from these training compaines saying that a notary can make 100 grand per year and it's easy. The market is getting glutted with a bunch of people looking for a quick buck. You can make a 100 grand, but it takes a lot of marketing, work, dedication, tenacity, energy .. well you get the idea.

I also think that this will run its course and most of the newbies will drop out due do making a lot of errors, not making the money they thought they could etc., and we will be able to get the fees consistantly up where they belong for the professional notaries. But I think it's going to take a while, unfortunately (although I am having a good month, I hope everyone else is).

I recently had a person I use to work with when I was in retail get in contact with me and wanted me to help him get into the signing business. I said ok, why don't you come over and see my setup and see if you have it in you. When he saw that I had two of everything, computers, printers, two ways to send faxes and then I went over the marketing, website, money spent on ads, flyers, visiting title compaines, not to mention keeping accurate records for tax returns, he decided to stick with his day job.

Reply by TitleGalCA on 8/17/05 10:03pm
Msg #59799

Well said, Glenn. N/M

Reply by Michelle in San Diego on 8/17/05 10:21pm
Msg #59802

Re: Well said, Glenn. N/M

Thank you for your input! I'm a medical transcriptionist and the field is going strongly towards digital voice transcription, leaving us out in left field. Decisions, decisions.....a nice glass of wine!

Reply by Glenn_CA on 8/17/05 10:38pm
Msg #59803

Re: Well said, Glenn. N/M

A little bit of Jack always works also ....

Reply by CarolynCO on 8/18/05 9:39am
Msg #59863

Re: Digital voice transcription

Michelle,
I don't quite understand you *being left out in left field.* -- Whether it's tape or digital, it still has to be transcribed -- you just have to buy/invest in the equipment to be able to do so. I have a legal secretarial business and two years ago I invested in digital so that I could transcribe digital sound files from my attorneys who send the voice transcripts in an e-mail attachment. I know several medical transcriptionists that are doing the same with their doctors.

Reply by Joan Bergstrom on 8/18/05 1:08am
Msg #59830

What makes you think we have too many notaries in Calif. when we have the lowest per capita ratio in the U.S.

We have 1 notary per 146 people in Calif in July 2005 compared to New York that has 1 notary for every 73 in that state and in Florida there is one notary for every 57 people and to take it to the most overpopulated notary state look at Kansas that has a notary for every 22 people.

The reason we have so few notaries in Calif. is we have to take a 6 hour course study/classroom and we have to pass the most difficult test in the United States. The notaries that are whinning about too many notaries in Calif. don't know how to market themselves.
Please explaim to me how we can have the fewest notaries per capita in the U.S. and be over saturated?

Reply by Anonymous on 8/18/05 1:21am
Msg #59832

Very, Very Good point Joan...glad someome is

willing to speak the turth. I think that the "attutude" I noticed when in CA was that they are a little lazy. There was a constant request for people to come from our Corp office in the midwest and transfer to the CA office because they said we harer workers and a lot fo people in CA puts off things because it's always nice they can do it tomorrow. I hated going to CA and training people...it was a waste of time. They didn't want to work anyway.

Reply by Blueink_CA on 8/18/05 10:02am
Msg #59868

Anonymous, YOU could use some sun....

Hmmm, people in CA are lazy and don't want to work? Did it ever occur to you that most people are transplants and maybe they relocated to CA to get away from narrow-minded, opinionated, stressed out, depressed people like you?

Reply by Anonymous on 8/18/05 11:54am
Msg #59897

I'm not the one who seems too stressed,sound like you are...

I'm not saying those were MY words...the words and opinions came FROM the managers at the offices IN California. They were FROM Califotnia themselves and sweetheart...get some sun???please, I'm the vision people imagine when they think the sweeds & norweigens of the midwest....blonde hair/blue eyes and the golden skin. Actually gave up most of the sun since owning the tanning salon while training in CA (so maybe willing to work and them seeing that I don't just SIT around) they got the impression that yes, we do work harder in the midwest.

just an opinion...but you're still not going to get me down to your level to call names.

Reply by CaliNotary on 8/18/05 1:53am
Msg #59835

"The reason we have so few notaries in Calif. is we have to take a 6 hour course study/classroom and we have to pass the most difficult test in the United States."

Pure BULLSHIT. The 6 hour course requirement has been in effect for all of 6 weeks. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with the number of notaries currently in California. How on earth are we supposed to take you seriously Joan when you post lies like this? Save your marketing spin for your classes.

"What makes you think we have too many notaries in Calif. when we have the lowest per capita ratio in the U.S. "

What makes you think the population of California is evenly distributed to a point where the per capita ratio is particularly meaningful? There are more factors involved than just strictly numbers. 10% of the population of California is in the city of Los Angeles alone. Different areas are going to have very very different levels of saturation.

Not to mention, who says we even need 1 notary per 146 people? Or per 73 people? It's not like teachers vs. class size, the per capita ratio is just more marketing spin. But the fact is, California already has PLENTY of notaries, more than enough to handle the demand.

Reply by Anonymous on 8/18/05 2:20am
Msg #59837

Well put CaliNotary. Although it is a little out of date, the following website provides some interesting statistical analysis:

http://www.smrresearch.com/refiforecaster.html#Rank-Ordering%20Refi%20Likelihood,%20Not%20Predicting%20Interest%20Rates

"Importance of the Data:

There are huge variations from place to place in the likelihood of refinancing -- proven in every year of the 1990s.

In 1997, for example, 15.4% of all the existing mortgage loans in Salt Lake City were refinanced. But in Victoria, TX, only 1.2% were refinanced, and in Binghamton, NY, only 2.4% were refinanced.

In 1992, 1993, and 1998, the "spread" between high-refi and low-refi places was even greater. In most years, there will be some places that will have 10 times the refi rate of others -- even when one excludes Texas, where state laws make refinancing more difficult."

Bottom line:

Do your job better than the next guy, keep working to add new clients but not at the expense of neglecting your current list of clients, and learn everything you can about how much activity there is in your area by networking with Title Co.s and Brokers so that you can gauge your impact and make adjustments where necessary.

Reply by CaliNotary on 8/18/05 2:40am
Msg #59838

Joan's message really amused me. She throws out all these statistics like they're actually meaningful and that they prove something. All they prove is that there's a decent marketing department at notaryclasses.com.

California has the toughest test in the nation? Maybe it does, but it's still a 30 question multiple choice test based on a 44 page booklet. And 6 hours of training? If that's meaningful then I guess it means that becoming a notary is 25% easier than passing traffic school, which is 8 hours. I had to take a 50 hour course to get my insurance license.

A person can be the thinnest person at a Weight Watchers meeting but that doesn't make them thin. California can have the toughest notary test in the nation but that doesn't make it a tough test. California can have the highest notary per capita rate in the nation but it doesn't mean that we need anywhere near that number of notaries in the state to begin with.

You just have to love it. I just try to provide some balance when I see this kind of full blown marketing BS. Did I ever mention I had a Bachelor's degree in Marketing? There is a certianly a place for that kind of stuff, but this board isn't it.

Reply by Eve - Chula Vista on 8/18/05 9:42am
Msg #59864

Cali Notary: You have a BA Degree in ANGRY & RUDE

""" DId I ever mention that I have a Bachelor's Degree in Marketing? """

Wow, should we be impressed? It's so easy to "become" something or someone when you never ever post your real name or a way to email you directly.

I read and read and read the boards to learn all I can, and rarely post. I am sure, however, that you cannot be as successful as you boast to be because you seem to find the time to be on this board every single day. You always have something to say, especially about the companies that advertise (so what) and your responses/posts are negative and nasty. You are arrogant and it's clear you have personal issues and no life or business because you are here today again. It's okay for you to post your opinion, but boy-oh-boy, when someone else does and disagrees with you -- watch out! It's clear you have something against Joan -- well at least she posts her real name.

Your need to use bscene language is innappropriate - you speak about being a professional but a professional doesn't talk like you. I am posiitive that I am not the only one who thinks you are just a big blow hole who has low self-esteem. A newbie like me threatens a loser like you and that's why you are insecure -- keep posting Calinotary as your statements just keep reassuring me that I will be successful because with people like you, I have zero competition. I hope you're in Southern California where I am. Get some anger-management help TODAY

Reply by CarolynCO on 8/18/05 11:52am
Msg #59896

Re: to Eve re: CaliNotary

**It's so easy to "become" something or someone when you never ever post your real name**

*CaliNotary* is NOT anonymous. He uses the same handle each and every time he posts--a handle people relate to. People either hate Cali because of his posts, or they love him for them. Ninety percent of the posters who don't like his posts are [*newbie* - your own term] newly-commissioned notaries/NSAs who were more than likely misled about how easy this is and the thousands of dollars they can earn a month and spent hard-earned money to be lied to.

**you cannot be sucessful as you boast to be because you seem to find the time to be on this board every single day**

It takes only minutes to view messages and chose to post. As for how many times a day Cali (or anyone for that matter) posts, he is one of the few remaining regulars who is making an appearance.

Reply by CaliNotary on 8/18/05 12:03pm
Msg #59902

Re: Cali Notary: You have a BA Degree in ANGRY & RUDE

Yes Eve, I obviously have no business because if I did, I certainly wouldn't have been surfing the internet at midnight, I'd still be out doing signings. And it's now 10 am, I should be on my third signing of the of the day, yet here I am on the board again. You busted me. I have no life or business and yes, I am trembling in my Payless shoes because I have the likes of you as my competition. Now excuse me while I call the Dr. Laura show to get help for my anger management issues.

BTW, where is the link to your profile? By posting only your first name you're as anonymous as I am sweetie.

Reply by TitleGalCA on 8/18/05 12:15pm
Msg #59905

Re: Cali Notary: okay, now you're dumping on

Payless. For your information Mr. Arrogant/Angry/rude/unprofessional/no life/no business...I've enjoyed your posts so far. But I draw the line with Payless. For your information, they have some REALLY CUTE sandals. Maybe you should stop being so successful and take some quality time (after your call to Dr. Laura) to comparison shop.

Reply by CaliNotary on 8/18/05 12:18pm
Msg #59908

Re: Cali Notary: okay, now you're dumping on

Heh. OK, I admit I haven't shopped in the REALLY CUTE sandal section of Payless. We'll just say that their selection of men's shoes leaves something to be desired.

If it helps any, I love Target so much that I'm considering having some of my ashes spread in one when I'm dead. Don't let my grammar skills fool ya, I'm still white trash at heart.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 8/18/05 7:40am
Msg #59847

If CA has one notary for every 146 people, how many NSA's are there? There are a lot of notaries that are not NSA's. But, I submit that in CA and FL, and possibly other states, there is a higher ratio of Signing Agents to Notaries than in most other states, especially in metropolitan areas.

Also, being oversaturated cannot be figured on the number of notaries or NSA's alone. You must look at the whole pie and how many consumers (NSA's) are vying for that pie. Recently, the size of the pie has been getting smaller but the number of consumers (NSA's) are growing which means the NSA is now getting a smaller portion of the shrinking pie. When there are more consumers than pie, that's oversaturation.

Reply by CarolynCO on 8/18/05 9:53am
Msg #59867

Re: You teach notary classes and co-authored notary book

I'm not knocking how you make your money -- you've obviously got a great business head on your shoulders. However, of course, you AREN'T going to concur that California is over-saturated with notaries and NSA's because you are making money by churning more and more out.

Your post is simply marketing piece flyer material, but that's business, isn't it?

Reply by Glenn_CA on 8/18/05 11:09am
Msg #59881

Well, the bottom line is, it is all about marketing. ... I certainly have work every day ...

Reply by Dave_CA on 8/18/05 11:57am
Msg #59898

Not saturated? More than 3,000 within 20 miles...

Boy do I wish I had not done this search, or at least looked before I said to print the results.
I searched on SigningAgent.com and did a Directory - Zip code Radius Search for 20 miles from my location in Orange County.
This listing is for SIGNING AGENTS, not all notaries.

I'm not all that upset about the competition. Many, perhaps even most will fall away.
I just wish I had not wasted almost half a ream of paper.

Reply by CaliNotary on 8/18/05 12:08pm
Msg #59904

Re: Not saturated? More than 3,000 within 20 miles...

You're supposed to be rejoicing Dave. After all, there is only 1 notary per 146 people in California, we are so lucky to have such a dangerous shortage. Why I'll bet if you had done the same search in Iowa you'd have 7,000 signing agents in a 20 mile radius!

Reply by Glenn_CA on 8/18/05 12:17pm
Msg #59907

Well, lets see 1 in 146. 34 million people in California that means that there are 232,876 notaries in the state.

Reply by CaliNotary on 8/18/05 12:22pm
Msg #59910

And don't forget, the 1 in 146 figure includes everybody - children, the developmentally disabled, etc. The per capita figure becomes much much smaller when you take the people who you can't legally notarize out of the equation. I don't think notaryclasses.com will be happy until it hits 1 notary for every 3 Californians.

Reply by Glenn_CA on 8/18/05 12:27pm
Msg #59911

Well, got a job, gotta go and make those big bucks. Lets see, where are the keys to my Rolls?

Reply by Dave_CA on 8/18/05 12:44pm
Msg #59915

Damn and here I missed that. Truly my cup runneth over.N/M

Reply by Joan Bergstrom on 8/18/05 2:14pm
Msg #59938

My son got started in mid-April and he is busy every day. He has probably done over 200 signings so far and we don't work for any of the same companies except one.

I've had 3 calls for signings today and not one of them is for less than $100.0 and I had 4 yesterday. Maybe things are just better in the Inland Empire in Calif?

Reply by Dave_CA on 8/18/05 3:10pm
Msg #59949

Joan,

I'm not saying that there isn't any business and I don't know how thing are in the Inland Empire. I was curious after reading your post and so did the search I posted about earlier and I stand by my comment that more than 3,000 signing agents within 20 miles is saturated at least.

On another note. I took your Loan Signing Seminar last year. I found it to be very informative and useful. I know for a fact that the information I received on equipment purchases and marketing suggestions saved me more than what I paid for the seminar by a substantial amount.

Reply by JPS_CA on 8/18/05 5:39pm
Msg #60029

I have no idea how do you get so much signings Joan, I also took your signing course and Im in your area and I started this year in March and I havent done that much signing like your son's. I have signed with almost 200 SS's and Im full time and carry my cell phone with me 24hrs/day.

I dont know how you can get 200 in such a short period of time.
Thats almost 2 loans per day including Sat, and Sundays.

Today is Thursday and I have just done 2, last week only one

ANd Im in the Inland empire too.

Reply by Joan Bergstrom on 8/19/05 1:20am
Msg #60138

JPs_ca
My first question is why aren't you posting with your link checked so everyone can see your profile.
Did you sign up with notaryrotary.com as we at notaryclasses.com recommend? Give me a call tomorrow and I will try to get you started. Joan

Reply by CarolynCO on 8/18/05 12:49pm
Msg #59916

Marketing is everything. If someone markets correctly and consistently, they can sell snow to an Eskimo.

I don't know if it's still being done, but when I came aboard 1-1/2 years ago, an individual was trolling for unsuspecting newbies to take under her wing, or so it seemed. It seemed innocent enough -- e-mail correspondence with just enough advice to whet my SA appetite. After about 3 weeks to a month, the e-mails became more straight forward, i.e., "our book is almost completed -- just send X amount of money and ..." When I wouldn't buy the book, the e-mails abruptly stopped -- and I thought we were becoming such good friends.

Reply by Eve on 8/19/05 7:53am
Msg #60165

Hey Joan - Invite CaliNotary To Your Class & send a book ...

... at least he can slam you and notary classes after he has valid information about what you teach. I get the feeling he, whoever he is, knows you somehow and is upset (he seems angry and resentful in every snotty post that has to do with your company). He has judged a company and class and book that he has no real info on. Calinotary, that's called, IGNORANT.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.