Notary Rotary
Doc corrections
Notary Discussion History

Doc corrections
Go Back to August, 2005 Index

Posted by todaysok on 8/4/05 3:34pm
Msg #56973

Doc corrections

I was recently on a closing where the borrowers county (in fact the county referenced was that of the lender) was in correct on several doc's, I lined them out and corrected them, had the borrow initial where the corrections were made. The lender became upset that these changes were made, I am having difficulty being paid for this signing being told that the correction caused the doc's to be reissued and another notary (uncertified) did the signing. The title company has paid the notary but I being given the run around and have yet to be paid. My question is, was I correct in changing the county on these doc's? I just feel that the lender is being very underhanded with this transaction.

Reply by MIRNA-CA on 8/4/05 3:40pm
Msg #56977

SOME SIGNING AGENCIES HAVE RULES ABOUT CHANGES AND CORRECTIONS.

Reply by Sara-NV on 8/4/05 3:55pm
Msg #56982

Was your correction in the venue?

If you corrected the name of the county in the venue portion of the notarial wording, my opinion is that you did the correct thing.

Reply by todaysok on 8/4/05 4:22pm
Msg #56988

Re: Was your correction in the venue?

No the corrections were to the lending doc's in general, my thoughts were that the county identifying the property should be in the correct county and this is why I corrected them.

Reply by Sara-NV on 8/4/05 4:39pm
Msg #56997

Re: Was your correction in the venue?

That's what you did improperly then. Perhaps you may not get paid for this job, or at least your fee reduced, but you'll never make that mistake again. We've all learned from our mistakes. Hang in there.

Reply by Roger/OH on 8/4/05 4:24pm
Msg #56990

Agree with Sarah...

It IS your responsibility to ensure that all information in any notarial certificates is accurate (dates, names, venue, etc). The venue is the county where you are witnessing the signatures and performing the notarial acts attesting to them. Any other corrections on any of the docs should be run by the lender or TC, if their procedures are not explained in the instructions.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.