Excess mileage fee
Notary Discussion History

Excess mileage fee
Go Back to August, 2005 Index

Posted by CarolynCO on 8/22/05 11:56am
Msg #60781

Excess mileage fee

**40.5 cents per mile (government allowable)**

I'm creating a new thread because I don't know how many people will see this in my original Atlas thread.

I'm wondering how many people are only charging the actual *government allowed* mileage rate when quoting excess mileage fees?

Reply by Laura_NH on 8/22/05 12:07pm
Msg #60788

I dont charge a specific per mile fee; as where i live is so isolated; it could be a 250 mile round trip for me....and with the country roads, its not like a highway up here....it could take me 6 hrs to do one signing. I charge by the distance of the town, so i know the basic mileage, the time frame it will take me to get there and back. any one else have any ideas? Laura

Reply by Peg on 8/22/05 12:07pm
Msg #60789

I would loose money on that! I currently charge 50cents a mile beyond the inish mile rad of 30 miles. I am thinking of raising that to a buck! going say 60 miles to a signing and back again would not only be two hours sitting in traffic (let alone the time it takes for the signing) but the Bestter part of a TANK OF GAS, WHICH IS NOW 30.00 BUCKS or More!!! OUCH!! so ya beyond my thirty I have to charge more.

But will they pay it? or do they just find someone else? I try to stay in my area. makes it easier to not to have to say no thanks you know.

Reply by Laura_nh on 8/22/05 12:12pm
Msg #60794

Peg, where are you located? are there more notaries in your area to cover the distance outside your 30 mile radius? in my area, i am the only notary in about a 300 mile radius, which can be nice, but can also be very stressful! lol!

Reply by Peg on 8/22/05 12:19pm
Msg #60796

Re: Excess mileage fee/ LOTS OF US

located in Florida and lots of us here. compition can be good/bad depends on how you look at it.

whats worse is almost every closing i go on, they ask me how to do this work, ahahah puts me on the spot. we are not suposed to talk about what we get paid and THEY ALWAYS ask me that!!!

I politely tell them to contact me after the three days RTC and will help them get online with the work if they like, then tell them the down sides, like waiting almost two months for payment and not getting the work or a REGULAR basis and having to be avial at a moments notice 24-7.

somehow ppl are ok with all this! rofl

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 8/22/05 1:34pm
Msg #60801

Peg
I always tell them, pay is not too bad, some companies will actually pay $30 for a signing.
(which is true, some companies will only pay that <g>), they seem to think when you say it like this that $30 is good - and they are no longer interestedSmiley

Reply by taxpro on 8/22/05 2:00pm
Msg #60809

Great idea! Also be sure and tell them how much you spend on gas, E&O insurance, advertising, toner, paper, equipment, mobile phone, advertising, etc. Add to that the deadbeat signing companies who pay late or not at all, and you're lucky if you break even some months.

Reply by peterole_MN on 8/22/05 1:11pm
Msg #60800

Over a month ago, AAA was reported in Motor Trend Magazine that the actual cost of your car per mile is over 55 cents per mile. With current gas prices, I am sure that the number is higher. I charge at least 55 cents per mile over my limited mileage included in my base fee. That cost stated includes depreciation etc, not just gas costs.

Reply by Les/CO on 8/22/05 1:35pm
Msg #60802

Just got a call from SS to do a signing in Fairplay (edocs) they pay $40 (I'm in Lakewood) I said no thanks, but good luck! I think that's a lot less than $.40

Reply by Deborah Kolaras on 8/22/05 1:49pm
Msg #60804

Hilarious!! They've been shopping that order since at least 7:45 MST this morning...I got the call on the road and started giggling. I wonder who will end up with it??!

Reply by CarolynCO on 8/22/05 2:14pm
Msg #60818

I didn't even let them tell me what the signing fee was. I began my reply with how far it would take to drive the round trip signing in the mountains and at night and what *my* fee would be. It just shows that he wasn't even listening because of his remark after it all asking if I wanted it.

Reply by Deb_CO on 8/22/05 2:21pm
Msg #60820

We must all be on the same page, b/c I didn't either, as their fees are common knowledge. It was about a 10 second call--he asked if I could take one, I said where, and I giggled (couldn't help it, knowing who they are!) and just told him I wouldn't be able to help him, but thanks for calling. It must be a heck of a job for them. If he'd asked my fee, he wouldn't have liked my response Smiley

You mean you didn't want it, after the travel discussion with him...you didn't talk yourself into it??!

Reply by CarolynCO on 8/22/05 2:11pm
Msg #60813

Les,
They must be going down the list of numbers. That is why I originally posted my Atlas post. I don't think any of them look at a map to see exactly where the mountains start. "Well, it looks like it's only a quarter of an inch on the map."

Reply by Les/CO on 8/22/05 3:49pm
Msg #60847

Anyone with a SS should have a computer, anyone with a computer can get Mapquest. I don't work for $40 if it's across the street. I sort of feel sorry for these schedulers that have to work for these schlock SS's .

Reply by MsRobbo on 8/22/05 8:16pm
Msg #60907

I have never had to charge excess mileage fees (unless it is over 100 miles round trip), but with the price of gas we may all have to start charging more.

Reply by JanetK/CA on 8/22/05 11:28pm
Msg #60963

I include a certain amount of mileage in my base fee, but charge considerably more than that for additional mileage. We also have to take into account our time spent driving.

Reply by CarolynCO on 8/23/05 8:26am
Msg #60991

Re: Finally!

Thank you JanetK. Someone finally *got* what I was posting.

Reply by LawrenceOK on 8/23/05 9:49am
Msg #61017

My base fee also covered mileage for 35 miles 1-way. Anything after that was .40c a mile, but due to the cost of gas I have to increase it.

Reply by CarolynCO on 8/23/05 10:09am
Msg #61028

I just don't understand *why* people are only willing to charge the *government allowed* mileage rate -- something, which BTW, you are allowed to deduct from your income taxes, and in essence simply becomes a wash.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.