Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Few Rookie Questions... Sorry if I sound dumb...
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2005 Index

Posted by Anonymous on 8/13/05 12:41am
Msg #58789

You guys have been really helpful for some previous questions... so I thought I'd throw out a few others that I've been wanting to ask but felt kinda dumb... so here goes...

1. Fingerprinting Services. I'm sure I was totally wrong about this, but when I was asked if I provided these on a form, I thought it meant that I have the special ink pad that you use when taking a fingerprint for DOT or other official docs. I'm sure these services are actually more detailed right... with some special equiptment? Can anyone tell me what "Fingerprinting Services" actually are so I don't totally make a fool out of myself when someone officially asks? THANX!

2. I just bought a Laser printer (HP LaserJet 3015) so that I can do E-Docs. I haven't taken a job with these yet and I'm a bit intimidated since I don't want to look unprofessional. Is there anything special that I need to do to accept e-docs??? Do I need to sign up for some special service since I'm sure the files are big or can it just come through regular email (I have MSN). THANX!

3. I'm told there's better money in working with Lenders, Title Companies etc vs Signing Co's. I was looking up local lists in the online yellow pages to send flyers to... however I don't know who to address these flyers to specifically at these companies? Should I be calling each one asking for the name of the person who hires their notaries... or is there a specific job title that I should just address it to?

Again, sorry if I sound like a doof... but I sincerely appreciate the help.
Tara, California

Reply by LilyMD on 8/13/05 6:56am
Msg #58794

It sounds like you're heading in a good direction. A laser printer is a must. As for your service provider, I prefer broadband. (I have cable). If you don't have cable or DSL speed, some of the bigger files might slow you down a little, though I'm not sure. Don't be intimidated with edocs. Just accept and print! That's how I did my first one and from there it got easier. Over time, you'll find some little ways to make things go smooth for you. My sister and I both have different ways of doing the same business and it works great for both of us.

Sign up with every company listed on the Signing Services tab of this site. You have to be a Premier member to access. If you don't have a Premier membership. I highly recommend it. My phone started ringing 3 times more than before!

Also, pay attention to the message boards. You can learn so much from some of the members here.

It's better to post at least with your state ID. Try to avoid posting as anonymous.

Reply by MistarellaFL on 8/13/05 9:30am
Msg #58816

Keep in mind, too, that going to work directly for tc's, escrow's and lenders is hard without knowledge and experience. They expect you to know terminology and common policies and practices as if you had been in the field for some time. When I first got started, I went directly to them and I could almost see their eyes rolling when they asked about how many signings I had done, and no phone calls back for assignments. I stuck with the SS's for another year and learned as much as I could before I again presented myself to these companies, with much better results. SS's are a PIA, but they offered me an opportunity to learn as I worked.
Unless you have some TC experience under your belt, I think your best opportunity is to work with the SS's until you are more familiar with what is common knowlege in the field. Then go to the better paying companies and have 100 or more signings under your belt.
Just my opinion and experience. Best Wishes and Good Luck to you!

Reply by Anonymous on 8/13/05 6:28pm
Msg #58925

Thanx for your help!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.