Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Have You Ever Done This Or Been Asked To Do It?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2005 Index

Posted by Teresa Welter on 8/4/05 7:36pm
Msg #57025

Just a quick question. Have a refinance tomorrow and the SA told me that "many notaries will add extra jurats and acknowledgements in case of error and if the lender doesn't need them he/she will destroy them."

Isn't that illegal/unethical? Or am I totally wrong?

Just want to be sure. Thank you all!

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 8/4/05 7:39pm
Msg #57027

No, you are not wrong!

Do not send extra certificates! It is illegal and unethical.They could use those extras for whatever they want!

Reply by Sandi on 8/4/05 7:42pm
Msg #57029

Agree with Sylvia. Had a SS send instructions which said something to that effect, and I called her back and told her "Sorry, I don't do that. It's illegal in my state." She said, "Well, if you forget to notarize something, there will be no fee and YOU pay the shipping charges."

I guess some SSs have been burnt, and mistakes DO happen ... BUT it is illegal to send extra, loose certificates.

Reply by Teresa Welter on 8/4/05 7:44pm
Msg #57031

Thank you. I just wanted some reassurance!

I appreciate the answer! Have a great night!

Reply by BrendaTX on 8/4/05 9:22pm
Msg #57048

**She said, "Well, if you forget to notarize something, there will be no fee and YOU pay the shipping charges."**

Sandi,

That answered my question on this. I wondered what the reasoning for that was.

So...the theory is rather than find good folks and stick with them...pay them a little more...develop relationships... loyalty...they lower the standards, lower the pay, and request an illegal act.

That's disappointing.

Let's see, a notary fixing a stack of extra certificates to keep a mistake from occuring on the documents they are notarizing is like...

A tire store person putting new tires on cars all day, but just in case they forget to put one on, they can sit an extra one or two out behind the shop to cover what they may have screwed up?

A doctor writing out prescriptons in a ward full of sick people, but just in case he missed someone he'll stack a few in the waiting room and they can help themselves?

A teacher trying to keep the grade book...she cannot always seem to keep it straight...so she'll just keep a stack of extra papers from each one of the kids with miscellaneous grades on them...and just grab one and use it if the real grade is not available, or if the kid did not complete the paper correctly according to her memory?
======

That's the stupidest thing I have ever heard.

Reply by frances on 8/5/05 12:28am
Msg #57073

I have added an extra ACK filled out with each signer name and dated but never leave it blank. Just give one for each signer on each loan example: 2 signers first and second loan you can give two for each loan with individual names or 1 for each loan with both names make sure you cross out the wrong wording / you know.

Reply by AngelinaAZ on 8/5/05 1:06am
Msg #57076

Frances I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say...

that's probably not a very good idea!

PLEASE... for your sake... refer to your state's lawbook and follow the laws!

Whoever TOLD you it was OK was VERY WRONG!

Reply by CaliNotary on 8/5/05 4:23am
Msg #57082

Re: Frances I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say...

Wow Angelina, you are so diplomatic. I had to reread her post a couple of times to make sure she was saying what I thought she was saying.

Frances, listen to Angelina. You could lose your commission by doing that. YOU are responsible for knowing your notary laws, don't ever let a title company tell you how they want something notarized. Their wishes don't mean squat.

Reply by AngelinaAZ on 8/5/05 12:51pm
Msg #57161

I am only being diplomatic because

I am too freakin' HORRIFIED to be anything else!!!

Honestly... nothing I say could accurately convey how I felt when I read this post.

Reply by CaliNotary on 8/6/05 3:28am
Msg #57313

Re: I am only being diplomatic because

That's where the F word comes in handy. Sometimes it's the only way to accurately convey a feeling!

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 8/5/05 7:10am
Msg #57091

WOW! So, you send them an extra ack with the signers name on it? So, how do you know what document they will attach it to - maybe a document that they never signed???
That leads to all kinds of potential fraud.

It is illegal!!! Don't ever do it.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.