Notary Rotary
Help Important question
Notary Discussion History

Help Important question
Go Back to August, 2005 Index

Posted by Anonymous on 8/30/05 3:53pm
Msg #62664

Help Important question

I got a call to do a closing for lastnite, got cancelled . So they called back and rescheduled for today, two separate emails to downloan, one being 71 pages the other 115 pages plus copies for the borrowers. I get the printing almost done and they never told me that there are four borrowers listed on the docs, two of the borrowers are not in the state right now so won't be there. I called the signing company and they didn't even know there would be four people signing. So the signing co. is trying to get a hold of the lender and can't reach them. So here I sit it's already past the closing appt. time . Even if they were to decide later tonite to close , How would I do the notorizing when they are all four typed in to sign?? I know you can send the docs to the other two people but how does that work with my stamp and signature being on the docs if I were to do that?? This probably sounds confusing but Im not good at putting the words together. Thanks

Reply by Sara_NV on 8/30/05 3:57pm
Msg #62665

When I've had this situation in the past, I perform my work with the person(s) present and just kind of forget about the other parties. The responsibility of attaching a loose certificate with the proper notarial wording for the various dox will fall upon the notary signing agent on the other end. You just do your thing with the folks you have in front of you.

Reply by Anonymous on 8/30/05 4:00pm
Msg #62667

So on the loose certificate do what all do you put on it ?? Do you have to name each doc you notorized and the date then?? I really don't think this is going to happen today cause the borrowers said they have another appointment to leave for.. Are you talking about a loose acknowledgement ??

Reply by Sara_NV on 8/30/05 4:02pm
Msg #62668

If you are the first notary to deal with the dox, you won't be using a loose certificate. That would be up to the second notary who will receive the dox after you've completed your part.

Reply by Anonymous on 8/30/05 4:06pm
Msg #62670

I was just worried about me notorizing the docs and then them sending the docs to the other borrowers and they would sign when my notorizing is already there ??
Thank You for your help.

Reply by Bonnie_CO on 8/30/05 4:14pm
Msg #62671

When you fill out the notary portion, unless yr state is different than mine, it will say something like ...Jane Smith and Barry Smith ...personally appeared before me, blah blah...if it is already pre-filled with all 4 names, cross out the 2 names that are not appearing before you, if it is not pre filled, just write in the names of the borrowers that are appearing before you, then when the absent signers do thier signing, then the notary they appear before will put their names on HER/HIS attached certificate...Did that make sense? That's how it was explained to me by a lender.

Reply by Anonymous on 8/30/05 4:18pm
Msg #62673

Yes that makes sense. Thanks I appreciate it. N/M

Reply by Amy_CO on 8/30/05 5:07pm
Msg #62678

Bonnie

I had a signing last night (wife and husband) on some of the docs, there was just a blank line. I just had them sign and I did not hand print their names below. Should I do that?

Reply by Anonymous on 8/30/05 5:20pm
Msg #62683

Re: Bonnie

Yes Bonnie You should write in the names if they are not preprinted

Reply by Bonnie_CO on 8/30/05 5:23pm
Msg #62685

Re: Bonnie

No, the only place you would write in thier names would be like:
On this the ___day of ______,____, before me, Amy------(yr name),
the undersigned Notary Public, personally appeared JOE SMITH AND SUSAN SMITH, husband and wife, ........ETC.

Reply by Bonnie_CO on 8/30/05 5:27pm
Msg #62687

OOPS! Hit the wrong button....

Anyway, that's where you would put in the borrowers name. Sometimes the names are already filled in by whoever drew up the docs, and sometimes we have to fill them in on our notary certificate. Where are you located in CO? Sounds like, so far, from the postings on the board, you're getting the "hang" of this work pretty quickly! Good Luck on your future signings!

Reply by Bonnie_CO on 8/30/05 5:33pm
Msg #62689

clarification

I was not sure if you meant write in thier name under the signature line or what, so I answered no. You wouldn't write their name ie:

Reply by MBCA on 8/30/05 6:30pm
Msg #62702

a lot of copies for all those borrowers!

I too am trying to picture how this will go down! As the notary at this end you're only responsible for your borrower's copies of the docs? Are the signed docs then sent to the lender and forwarded on to the out of state borrowers? This loan probably wouldn't be on a primary residence so there wouldn't be any RTC? If there was the last 2 out of state signers have that right of recission?

Reply by Anonymous on 8/30/05 8:09pm
Msg #62737

cancelled again

Now they changed the closing for tommorrow. I have to have the two sign, I think the other two signers are actually their sons that live in a different state. Then after I have them sign they are having me fedex the package to the next notary directly. Does this make sense?? So I guess I just worry about the two Im getting signatures for.

Reply by BrendaTX on 8/30/05 8:41pm
Msg #62741

Re: cancelled again - here's my input

Notarizing the Names before you...

Using their ACK: Like someone said earlier, just cross out the ones who are not there and initial. (Do be sure to cross the names out. ) To use their ack or yours is your decision IMHO.

I attach my ack if I am first. The reason I do so is courtesy and also because I *know* that I know what I am doing, but does the other end?

If they are not experienced they may be in a quandry about where to notarize. OR, they might not look at the docs ahead of time and go there without their own acks to attach. It's just a courtesy to make it easier on the one it is going to.

I realize that's assuming a lot, but the first split signing I had as #2 notary came from Florida. I believe #1 was nervous and overlooked a lot before she sent the package on to me. I had time to look it over so I made my acks to attach.

In reviewing the docs I realized #1 notary had not marked anything out of certs which had both names and she had left off her seal/stamp of at least three, including the DOT.

I got paid for the job.

So, I think that it's helpful to do the loose ack if you are the first notary and you have an extra few minutes to do the loose ack on the front end. It might help out your "Sister" if she's having a bad day on the backside. (Or Brother, guys!)

Reply by Art_MD on 8/31/05 11:26am
Msg #62861

Re: cancelled again - here's my input

Agree whole heartedly re: courtesy. If I'm first on a split signing, I include a bunch of blank acknowledgements and jurats for the 2nd SA. I've had a couple where I got the assignment and there was no mention it was the 2nd part of a split. Thank goodness I had enough blanks with me. (also, since I have my laptop with me, I could print out some more at the borrowers or at kinko's). I also include my business card. That's in case there is a problem, or the 2nd SA has some questions.

Art

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.