Notary Rotary
Help!
Notary Discussion History

Help!
Go Back to August, 2005 Index

Posted by Lisa-Ca on 8/12/05 9:35pm
Msg #58747

Help!

Has anyone had a problem installing EDS viewer? It downloaded fine but when I attempted to install it I got a window which says, " The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Micosoft Window applications" My son says that their software must not be compatible with Windows XP (which is what we have) but don't a lot of people have that. I don't know what to do and I need to go an hour tomorrow to do this signing. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I'm doing this for International Mortgage Co, Inc. Has anybody heard of them?

Reply by Glenn CA on 8/12/05 9:52pm
Msg #58749

Could be the file on the website is corrupted. Mineworks just fine with XP

Go to this link to download the viewer then go back to the international website to get your docs

http://www.sunshinemortgage.com/download.asp

Glenn

Reply by Glenn / CA on 8/12/05 10:06pm
Msg #58751

One more thought

In this wireless age, a lot of us download docs on a laptop using wireless. If there is some local interference in your house that could cause a file to be corrupted or a necesary script in the programming to be missing, then you can get all kinds of error codes. I have had that issue a couple of times and all I did is plug into my home network with a cable and did the download just fine. This has only happened a couple of times to me in all the thousands of files I have downloaded, but my geek friend says it can happen if you are near a radio transmitter of some kind, close to power lines or even a cell phone transmitting real close to your wireless transmitter. Most of the time, I download using my desktop.

Hope you get it figured out.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 8/12/05 10:34pm
Msg #58762

Their file may be corrupted or the download may have gotten corrupted. Try again. If you still have troubles, try downloading the installation program from another source. You can try from my site if you wish - http://www.pawnotary.com/download/EDS%20Viewer%20Install.exe

Reply by Lisa-Ca on 8/12/05 10:42pm
Msg #58764

Thank you very much. I'll try using the sites you sent me. I'm not on a laptop so that can't be the problem. I haven't had a problem with any other viewer so maybe you're right about it being corrupted.

Reply by Lisa-Ca on 8/12/05 10:58pm
Msg #58769

Well, unfortunately I tried both of the links that you guys gave me and the same thing happened with those. I'm very frustrated because it's a mortgage co. that called me to do this signing and now how unimpressive is this? They probably won't ever call me again if I can't get this figured out. I'm going to go to Kinkos and see if it will work there. Thanks anyway.

Reply by Try this on 8/12/05 11:19pm
Msg #58774

are your windows updates current? If not, that could be the problem. Go to your tool bar and update windows
xp. Its free and its something that you should have on automatic. Not to mention anti-virus and spyware removal programs.

Reply by Lisa-Ca on 8/12/05 11:47pm
Msg #58782

Yes I do have my update on automatic. Get this, I'm at Kinkos and getting the same message. I don't know what to think about this. I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong but I've gone back re-read and re-did this, I can't tell you how many times. I'm at a loss.

Reply by John_NorCal on 8/12/05 11:45pm
Msg #58780

Disable any firewall and/or virus protection too.. n/m

Reply by Lisa-Ca on 8/12/05 11:49pm
Msg #58783

Re: Disable any firewall and/or virus protection too.. n/m

Hey, I hadn't thought about that. I obviosly can't do that here at Kinkos but I could try that back at home. Do you think that would cause that error message?

Reply by John_NorCal on 8/12/05 11:52pm
Msg #58784

Very possible--

that has stopped me in the past. Good luck!

Reply by lisa-ca on 8/13/05 12:03am
Msg #58787

Re: Very possible--

Thanks

Reply by PAW_Fl on 8/13/05 7:19am
Msg #58796

This issue is often caused when an your "config.nt", "autoexec.nt", or "command.com" files are missing or damaged.

To restore these files back to their original format, you can expand the files from your Microsoft Windows XP or 2000 restore CD, or if you do not have the Windows restore CD, you can repair the autoexec.nt and config.nt manually from the repair directory.

Restore the autoexec.nt and config.nt files from the repair folder

For users who do not have their Windows XP or 2000 CD or want to try restoring their backup files from their hard drive first, follow the below steps.

1. Click Start, Run, type cmd and press enter to open the MS-DOS window.
2. In the MS-DOS Window, type the below commands.

cd\windows\repair
copy autoexec.nt c:\windows\system32
copy config.nt c:\windows\system32

Note: In the above example we use the "windows" directory. If you're using Microsoft Windows 2000 you will likely need to substitute this directory for the "winnt" directory. If you're running Windows XP and get an error when attempting to go into the windows\repair directory it's likely this directory does not exist and you will need to skep to the next section.

3. Once the above two files have been copied, type "exit" to exit the MS-DOS window.

After following the above instructions this should resolve your issue. If the issue continues to occur, you will need to try the other below suggestion.

Expand the files from the Windows XP or 2000 CD

The below steps will restore the autoexec.nt, config.nt and command.com files from the Windows XP CD. In order to do this you must have the Microsoft Windows XP CD.

1. Insert the Microsoft Windows XP CD into the computer.
2. Click Start, Run, type cmd and press enter to open the MS-DOS window.
3. At the MS-DOS prompt, type the below lines. If completed successfully, you should see a message indicating the file was copied and not an error.

expand D:\i386\autoexec.nt_ c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt
expand D:\i386\config.nt_ c:\windows\system32\config.nt
expand D:\i386\command.co_ c:\windows\system32\command.com

Note: In the above examples we are pointing to the "D:" drive for the CD-ROM, some computers with other drive letters may have the CD-ROM drive as a different letter. If this is the case, substitute "D:" with the letter of your CD drive.

Note: In the above example we use the "windows" directory. If you're using Microsoft Windows 2000 you will likely need to substitute this directory for the "winnt" directory.

4. Once the above files have been successfully copied, type "exit" to close the MS-DOS window.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 8/13/05 7:20am
Msg #58797

Re: Help! - See Microsoft ...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767&Product=winxp

Reply by BetsyMI on 8/13/05 7:55am
Msg #58800

Is EDS viewer to view edocs?

Reply by lisa- ca on 8/13/05 12:20pm
Msg #58848

Yes, EDS is for viewing docss

Reply by lisa-ca on 8/13/05 12:23pm
Msg #58850

Paw-Fl, thank you very much for your help. My son who knows a lot about computers came home from work at 2:30am and looked at it and it was exactly what you said. I'm really appreciative of your detailed explaination because my son just fixed it for me and didn't explain how he did it. I might need to do it on my own sometime so I'll print your excellent response and hang on to it. Thank you very much.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 8/13/05 1:30pm
Msg #58868

The EDS viewer is used to view EDS documents. It won't view all edocs, just those designed for Empower Document Sets (.eds extension).

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.