Notary Discussion History

Highlight/flag/nothing
Go Back to August, 2005 Index

Posted by Paul2_FL on 8/14/05 6:21pm
Msg #59044

Highlight/flag/nothing

Hi y'all,

It's polling time!

How many of you mark the areas on the docs where the borrowers have to sign and date and what do you use - Arrow type sticky's, highlighted pens, other or do you do nothing?

The reason I ask is I have been using those arrow sticky's since I started in this business but some friends of mine use the highlighter pens. I believe, if I remember correctly, that on one of the doc packages I received it specifically stated NOT to use a highlighter pen.
Of course, using a highligher pen would be much quicker than the sticky's on those packages that don't specify but I thought I'd check with everyone to see how you are doing it. I'd really like to get away from the sticky's but to date they have proven invaluable to me because without them I believe the borrowers would occationally miss a signature and/or date and I might not spot it until later and that could result in another trip back to the borrower at my expense.
(The only time when I don't use sticky's is when the package is delivered to the borrower).

Reply by Markita-MI on 8/14/05 6:32pm
Msg #59046

Hey there Paul2_FL! In the beginning I used those sticky "sign here" or "initial here" but then I became annoyed with having to pull them off of the 70 or more pages once the signing was over and I was ready to forward docs by Fedex ,UPS back to lender or title company.

It became too cumbersome so I stopped. After years in this business, you become so familiar with the docs that its second nature and you have a pretty good idea which need to be signed, initialed, or both. Of course, there are the occasional closing packs that you come across where an unfamiliar doc may show up---keeps you on your toes. Its here where you might miss something. However, I find that reviewing the docs before you exit prevents any missed initials or signatures and your having to come back out to resign or get initials.

So again, it's nothing for me. That's just my preference.

Markita-MI

Reply by SDgirl on 8/14/05 7:21pm
Msg #59049

Nothing for me.. When I 1st started about 2 years ago I bought those sticky arrows as well BUT after the 1st 10 signings I gave up on those. Expensive and cumbersome not to mention time consuming. Now I can almost predict where borrowers need to sign/initial. After many signings you will not need anything either! I used to open the package before going to a signing, look over it, flag them and now I usually dont have time to look over them especially if I have 2 or more signings in an evening. Good luck

Reply by ML/PA on 8/14/05 7:23pm
Msg #59050

I would not recommend highlighting any areas. A lot of companies specifically state that highlighting in NOT allowed on any documents.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 8/14/05 8:12pm
Msg #59053

Paul, as time progresses and you do more and more doc sets, you will know where the borrowers need to sign and can easily point them out. Then you won't have to spend the time putting those little sticky arrows on and taking them off.

NEVER USE A HIGHLIGHTER. If the title company or lender do, that's fine. But as a signing agent, do not do it. Most lenders are fussy about their docs. Title companies, not as bad, but some can be. In any and all cases, just don't do it. And be sure to remove the sticky arrows, especially from the mortgage and especially in Citrus county! (The recorders will reject a document before removing the sticky arrow in some cases!)

Reply by DellaCa on 8/14/05 9:22pm
Msg #59055

Re: Nothing Here N/M

Reply by Adams_CA on 8/14/05 9:51pm
Msg #59057

I once bought a pack of those NNA red Sign Here stickies. When time permits, I use them, and have found that they are reusable many, many times, which drastically cuts down on cost. I also bought a back of regular-size Post-It notes at CostCo. I have access to an industrial cutter (the kind they use at copy shops to cut business cards and trim paper; not the little chopper kind), so I cut the regular Post-Its into small strips. That's a LOT of strips!

Reply by Paul2_FL on 8/14/05 10:06pm
Msg #59060

Thanks everyone for the input. I think it's time to eliminate the "Sticky's". I've done enough error free signings to date that I feel confident to do away with them. (One exception for a while yet - if the signing is local I'll not use them but if I have to travel 30+ miles to a signing then I might still use them only to eliminate the possibility of having to travel back to the borrower for something I might have missed.)

PAW - I agree with you about the highlighter pens and have never used one. I do however have friends in NH that use them all the time! Rules must be different up there!

Reply by CaliNotary on 8/15/05 12:17am
Msg #59087

"One exception for a while yet - if the signing is local I'll not use them but if I have to travel 30+ miles to a signing then I might still use them only to eliminate the possibility of having to travel back to the borrower for something I might have missed."

Why is it that you trust yourself not to miss anything when you're applying the sticky notes, but you don't trust yourself not to miss anything when double checking the docs at the end of a signing without the sticky notes?

"I agree with you about the highlighter pens and have never used one. I do however have friends in NH that use them all the time! Rules must be different up there!"

The rules are the same all over the place. If your friends haven't been chewed out because of this yet, it's only because of luck with the companies they've worked for. They'll eventually come across a lender who's going to be mighty mad at them and may make them do a resign at their expense.

Reply by AnneSoCa on 8/14/05 10:32pm
Msg #59063

I also used to put them on all the signature/initial pages, but it got really cumbersome after a while. I also found that once I stopped doing that, the signings went a little more quickly.

I was told never to use a highliter, but I often receive docs from escrow that have highlighting all over them. Go figure!

Reply by Stephanie_CA on 8/14/05 10:48pm
Msg #59068

When I first sarted, I did use the flags, but now I use nothing.
As PAW has stated after you progress inthe business yu will become familiar with....where signatures/initials & notarizations are required.
Although, there is noting wrong with using the flags if you feel more comfortable.
I have never highlighted loan docs.

Reply by TitleGalCA on 8/14/05 11:08pm
Msg #59073

Like everyone else, I used to flag everything - now I find things go much faster without and I haven't missed anything yet. Never highlight.

Reply by Glenn / CA on 8/15/05 12:06am
Msg #59086

Just double check your docs. Less time . Less money spent in supplies.

After just a few signings, you will know what is what.

Reply by Renee/MI on 8/15/05 5:03am
Msg #59098

IF you do - ONLY use yellow highlighter

Probably the reason some lenders don't allow highlighters is due to the use of other colors. Only yellow will copy and fax legibly - other colors can result in solid black on a copy or received fax.

Thought it would be helpful to know that =)

Reply by Indiana Notary on 8/15/05 8:52am
Msg #59107

I once received a package from a signing service with flags

I did a signing once where the signing service overnighted the docs to me. I was shocked (pleasantly) when I opened the package and every place requiring a signature or initials was already flagged with the little sign/initial here stickies. There were also "notarize here" stickies in the package.

During my first 7 to 10 signings I used the stickies myself, but I don't any longer. Now when I finish a signing, I tell the borrowers, I will review the documents to make sure we haven't missed anything. I tell them, I know that their time is valuable, and I want to try to ensure we don't have to meet again to sign anything we've missed.

* Ok, grammar police, come get me! I hope I"ve at least written well enough to get my point across. I'm sure there are some grammar errors. Oh well, send me back to the message board to correct them at my own expense! Ha Ha.

Reply by Magic Lady CA on 8/15/05 12:01pm
Msg #59142

Paul

I use the plain little stickies, but, just on the documents that will require an ack or a jurat. It just helps me find them in the stack. I re-use them over and over (and over and over!).....

Reply by db_IL on 8/15/05 4:09pm
Msg #59182

I'm a hardcore re-flagger. I use the "sign here", "initial here", even made a couple "provide info" or "please fill in". Only in a time crunch with late doc arrival or with docs to borrower do I forego the flags. Why?

I've had some borrowers thank me for the prep time taken and some even thumb thru package again to make sure they haven't missed any spots. That, of course, doesn't take the place of my final review, but it seems to keep them more focused.

Lately I have been dealing with wonderfully well-informed borrowers. Some have been through the refi/loan process many times before or perhaps are just well-taken care of (like WaMu customers). For these, after determining their knowledge, I just turn the stack around to them and let them go while I fill in Affidavits of ID, etc. So the flags take the place of my babysitting them. Then I still give it a once over before leaving the table.

I guess we all have our own styles. BTW as far as cost, I purchased an assortment of flags when I first started signing and haven't needed more since. I get more from packages overnighted to me or I just recycle the ones I have. While I'm double-checking the docs I'm peeling the flag up - no problem.

But . . . if you guys are fed up with flags - just send 'em over here to FLAGS r US - haha

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.