Notary Rotary
Is it my imagination or....
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2005 Index

Posted by TitleGalCA on 8/15/05 8:43pm
Msg #59241

have there been an unusual amount of 'newbie' posts lately... "how do I become a 'public notary' " or questions about marketing to escrows when they don't even have their stamp yet? What's going on - I can see someone who has some background in lending/escrow/title or someone who's been a notary for a long time who's branching out...but my gosh, seems like there's a ton of people who know squat about this business posting questions about how to be successful. And it seems to take up a TON of board space.

This is my second business...and both came as a result of prior or complimentary experience. To me, it's similar to me finding a public form for computer techs and asking "so....what do I need to do to get work...I have a computer. Oh, and I had business cards made..." Then when the truth/reality hits (in the form of say...a Calinotary Smiley) telling the truth...everybody howls.

I don't know...just seems like alot of that lately, and truthfully - less and less of the posts that interest me or help us all as professionals. I'll add too, less and less posting by the some of the pros who've been absent lately. Thank God for the Cali's, PAW's, Carolyns, and Sylvias (there's more but you get my drift) or I wouldn't read anymore. I like to help as much as the next person...but I still need some really good marketing or NSA technique tips from experts that keep me coming back to NotRot...

Just my thoughts - not trying to quash newbies for sport or their dreams of making 100K. First tho, I need to make MY 100K...

Reply by Jenny/CA on 8/15/05 9:18pm
Msg #59244

I know that for my part I try to hit the orange research button first before submitting a question. There will be times when my questions will be common sense to others and I thank those who answer in advance ..

I look forward to the day when I can contribute more than what I take from this board.

Reply by John_NorCal on 8/15/05 9:32pm
Msg #59248

I don't know if there are more now or not....For some reason they are more visible, maybe because of the abscence of some of the oldies. Like you, TitleGal, I look for the meat and potatoes of this forum. We'll never escape the people who fail to do their own research or to at least sit back be quiet and absorb the information here. It does get tiresome seeing the posts asking the most basic of notary questions.

Reply by christiSocal on 8/15/05 9:43pm
Msg #59255

I wonder about some of them. seems to me someone who could figure out how to get to this site would be able to figure out some of the simple questions. I don't usually fuss at them about for 2 reasons: 1, they might Really be that green and 2, because I don't want to spoil cali's fun ;) But, really I think some people are just posting to get attention, then sit back and laugh.

Reply by CarolynCO on 8/15/05 9:54pm
Msg #59258

*have there been an unusual amount of 'newbie' posts lately... *

No, it's not your imagination. I just returned from two weeks vacation and can't believe the number of new posters asking basic Notary 101 questions.

Reply by DellaCa on 8/15/05 10:03pm
Msg #59262

Re: Not your imagination !! N/M

Reply by Susan/OH on 8/16/05 7:42am
Msg #59339

Re: Not your imagination !! N/M

My problem with the newbies is that they ask some of the most basic questions that they really should know before doing a loan signing, When I was new I asked a really basic question and got my butt ripped, but the people were right I should have known better.

Some of the other questions about marketing or the top 10 companies to be listed with, get real!!! Who is going to give that info away?? I'm lucky I belong to a network of notaries just for my state where I can call someone if I have a really pressing question. Or call the company that hired you, they never think of that. It's really getting old.

Reply by jan/ca on 8/15/05 10:04pm
Msg #59263

I'm guessing that 90% of the newbies, like myself, come from the So. Cal area and I've been here all my life. I've listened to talk radio, CNN, Fox News, etc and have never heard the advertisements for "notary/loan signing agent" like I have this past year. Like myself, I took the bait, thank goodness I have a day job, but I have started getting more and more signings. As for the questions on this site, I know the classes I went to advertise this site heavily....

Reply by christiSocal on 8/15/05 10:15pm
Msg #59268

um, never thought about this site advertising in the classes

I didn't find this site until I'd been doing signings for over a year, I guess I'm just slow Smiley I've lived in socal all my life too. Love it, although the redwoods call to me often!

Reply by Jon on 8/15/05 10:37pm
Msg #59278

Re: um, never thought about this site advertising in the cla

This site doesn't advertise in the classes, the class instructors simply point their students to it.

Reply by c on 8/15/05 10:45pm
Msg #59281

Re: um, never thought about this site advertising in the cla

Reply by christiSocal on 8/15/05 10:47pm
Msg #59283

that makes me feel better!

Reply by TitleGalCA on 8/15/05 10:15pm
Msg #59269

Pretty sad huh Carolyn-you didn't miss a thing in 2 wks

Glad your (cocker?) is doing so well after oral surgery tho!

Reply by CarolynCO on 8/16/05 10:04am
Msg #59360

Re: Pretty sad huh Carolyn-you didn't miss a thing in 2 wks

Yes, Sandy is a cocker and doing well after I added to the vet's bank balance -- but Sandy is worth it. How's your little one doing?

As for not missing a thing in two weeks, it appears that the NNA has been quite busy collecting people's money and filling their heads with false hopes and promises. You can always tell by the number of new posters who have attended the one-day seminar and ready to take the on-line/open book/non-timed certification test.

Reply by TitleGalCA on 8/16/05 12:33pm
Msg #59403

Re: Pretty sad huh Carolyn-you didn't miss a thing in 2 wks

He's doing good - the only positive about my 'medical leave' in the past week. One of our fellow NSA's (Renee_MI) has been so wonderful about emailing me with tips on raising pups. The girl knows her stuff - I'm grateful!

I'm blaming this onslaught of no-nothing posts on the advertising campaign in CA...seems like most of these posts are from CA...

It bugs me because I DID do my homework, and I am not posting another thing to "help" unless somebody has a grip on the basics, and NOT just notary basics...I mean SA basics. Let 'em call notaryclasses or NNA.

I miss the good stuff from absentee posters that I learned so much from in my "reading only" days on this board.

Reply by Jon on 8/15/05 10:35pm
Msg #59275

I agree that posts from newbies have been increasing as of late. It actually started last year and has been steadily increasing since. I still browse the board periodically, and find less and less of a reason to return. Very seldom are there any intelligent questions that warrant a response of any kind, even a sarcastic one Smiley .

Oh well, as long as the co's offering 100,000 a yr classes make money, we will continue to see the same kind of questions. Makes me want to spend my time elsewhere, so I have.

Reply by TrayKy on 8/15/05 11:22pm
Msg #59301

Here's a thought

I too have seen an increase in the questions from "newbies". I may be considered a "newbie" to this site but have been doing this for a while so I like to read from all the very knowledgable NSA's on this site. I too see the need for a forum for questions such as we see over and over. My thought would be can NotRot set up a seperate forum for such questions and the experienced NSA go to that forum and answer them if they so choose. We all had to learn somewhere and it seems there isn't enough good training out there. I would only choose to answer questions that are for education only. Not questions that all NSA's should learn on there own or through marketing or classes like that. We make or break ourselves in this business. I just think since this is a popular site maybe seperating the "newbie" questions wouldn't be a bad idea. Just an idea. I would be willing to give any advice that may be needed if I had the answer.

Reply by TitleGalCA on 8/15/05 11:29pm
Msg #59304

Tray...u watching Fed/Blake right now? :) N/M

Reply by TrayKy on 8/16/05 9:26am
Msg #59352

Re: Tray...u watching Fed/Blake right now? :) N/M

Sorry, just got this today. I watched it last night on TV. My wife and I are heading up today and tomorrow. It's raining right now. The Fed man needs to raise his rate if he want to win this tournament. I think he was just working out some bugs last night. I hope to watch Roddick tomorrow.

Reply by CaliNotary on 8/16/05 2:30am
Msg #59321

"I still browse the board periodically, and find less and less of a reason to return. Very seldom are there any intelligent questions that warrant a response of any kind, even a sarcastic one"

I'm finding it harder and harder to muster up the desire to be bitchy and rude on this board. I really am beginning to think that I've gotten about all I'm going to get from this place as it's seeming more and more like Groundhog Day on here - how do I get started? How do I market to title companies? Is Sign on the X/Accusigning/Thomas Sirianni still not paying their notaries? If you don't have anything nice to say you shouldn't say anything at all! Can I sit in on a signing with an experienced notary? And so on.

I've definitely noticed the absence of several posters who made the board more interesting for me personally, and I have a feeling that it won't be long before I realize I've completely lost interest in coming here.

But I think that's par for the course on a lot of internet message boards. A few diehards stay for the long haul but a lot more people cycle in and out over time.

Reply by christiSocal on 8/16/05 2:49am
Msg #59326

your probably right

people do seem to cycle. Makes me a little sad because I have enjoyed the humor, as well as the good advice, ideas etc. I do wish new people would read that nice "Important Message" message before asking the very thing it talks about. (and it wasn't up yet when I asked about printers ;-) ) Thanks Harry, it was a good idea though.

Reply by newlysmomva on 8/16/05 8:21am
Msg #59343

Re: your probably right

I'm a newbie, but have been doing title work for 23 years....the problem here is that until recently ( a few months) no one knew notaries could do signings and the general public STILL doesn't know. Virginia just hands out certificates with a little guidebook. I've learned more from this site that you will ever learn from the handbook.

Reply by christisocal on 8/16/05 10:15am
Msg #59362

wow, the nna hasn't heard of va yet? Hope it stays that way for your sake. I've learned so much here, that I never got anywhere else. It's a good place.

Reply by newlysmomva on 8/16/05 1:30pm
Msg #59419

I think the attys have a conspiracy to keep as much of the closings as possible for themselves. Ha Ha! Yes, I have learned a lot here.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.