Notary Rotary
No pay in 40 days
Notary Discussion History

No pay in 40 days
Go Back to August, 2005 Index

Posted by Marie Davis on 8/25/05 8:01am
Msg #61605

No pay in 40 days

a company called me out of the blue to do a signing,very late signing(10:00p.m./e.s.t.)I did the signing & now all I get is a voice message,no return call back,NOTHING!

Reply by Kimberly_IN on 8/25/05 8:48am
Msg #61610

What's the companies name?

Reply by Ted_MI on 8/25/05 8:55am
Msg #61612

Re: And where are you located? n/m

Reply by Les_CO on 8/25/05 9:25am
Msg #61620

Re: No pay in 40 days/another deadbeat story

The main problem with being a Signing Agent, is this business in populated with thieves posing as legitimate businesses. Signing Services are totally unregulated, mostly unlicensed largely unethical, people, trying to make a buck on the hard work of others. In what other "service industry" do the people that actually do the work, (notaries) do it on "good faith?" And do it for someone out-of-state, with no references, no office, no (real) name, no (real) address, no credit, etc.? Just a computer, and a phone! Some how this whole business has gotten "backwards." Where else can a total stranger call and say "Hi! I'm Honest John! Go do this job for me, and when finished send the work to this address, send a bill to this PO Box, and I'll pay you. "? What a joke! Then we wonder why we don't get paid? A semi-smart convict could run a Signing Service from a Federal prison.

Try and work with lenders or title companies. They are all regulated one way or another. We (notaries) are all licensed, or commissioned, and regulated in some way, by the States we do business in. Try and work for people that are also.

I'm not saying that there not some legitimate Signing companies out there. There are some..... I've even worked for some and actually been paid. I've also (foolishly) worked for some, and not been paid. I have NEVER not been paid by a Title Company. Never!

I think it's time for a change, but as long as notaries are willing to "work now..get paid maybe" things won't change.

Reply by MistarellaFL on 8/25/05 10:27am
Msg #61634

I got a call from a fast talking SS on Tues PM. Before accepting, I asked for some company info, as I have not worked with or known of this particular company. When I asked for Company contact info, expected fee and expected date of payment, I was promptly hung up on. this is not the first time that has happened to me. We do have to be careful! I think there are more SS starting up than needed. And if they are not willing to give you that info, they are probably not willing to make payment either. Like you, I encourage working with TC's, although I do have several good relatioships with SS's. They are not all bad, but the
bad ones sure give the good ones a bad name. How do we tell them apart, other than
previous experience? I don't know all the answers, but if they will not offer their information when requested, I think that is a sure sign of potential fraud.

Reply by Anonymous on 8/25/05 1:32pm
Msg #61720

You have been lucky with the TC as there are a few out there that don't pay. There are those TC that are just slimey (thankfully very few)...but others don't pay anything for no signs or cancelations (RTC). I know there are worthless SS out there that do not pay and some, never had any intention of it. But there are notaries that are just as inscrupulous as these horible SS. Notaries are supposedly regulated by their state on their notarial duties only. As a signing agent, there is no such regulation. And in fact, even when a notary is blaten in their notary duties some states do not have anything in place to even submit a compliant let alone do anything about it. Not all notaries are rightous

Reply by Les_CO on 8/25/05 2:55pm
Msg #61745

I know of no Title Companies that don't pay. Unless the notary totally messed something up. Like losing the docs, or not showing up at the signing, or changing the wording, etc. I know of some title companies that have paid such incompetent notaries, then sent someone else, also paid, to go out and resign the docs. If you would like to list some title companies that have not paid you, and the circumstances, as to why. I'd (and I think others) would be really interested. I'm sure there are some "bad" notaries/Signing Agents out there. I would think mostly inept, or ignorant, and not qualified to do the job, rather than unscrupulous. Very hard to be unscrupulous, when your doing the work in front, on good faith, hoping to get paid. I suppose some crazy notaries could agree to signings, accept the docs, then throw them away. But to what end? Certainly not for profit! I see posts on this board, and others, about "deadbeat" signing companies EVERY DAY. Why do you suppose that is. You think we are ALL nuts?

Reply by Anonymous on 8/25/05 5:26pm
Msg #61781

You don't think notaries that back date are unscrupulous. What about those that don't ID the borrowers? All I'm saying is there are scumbags on all sides of the fence.

As for names of Title companys that don't pay

Transcontental doesn't pay if the borrower rescinds (or at least they didn't use to)
Mid-South Escrow (was about 3 years ago) not sure if they are around
A Title Escrow

There are lenders that don't pay as well if the borrower rescinds. Should I pull that list out for you too?

Reply by Les_CO on 8/25/05 11:22pm
Msg #61913

I think notaries that backdate are stupid! Ditto notaries that don't properly ID signers. They are letting themselves in for possible criminal, and civil action. Notaries that CHARGE MORE to backdate have the same problem, AND are probably "unscrupulous."

I must admit I have never heard of, or worked with the title companies you mentioned, but I thank you for the information. If they call me I'll be sure to ask pointed questions about their business practices.

Thanks again for the info!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.