Notary Rotary
OT - Anyone own a Toyota Prius?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2005 Index

Posted by AnneSoCa on 8/9/05 11:47am
Msg #57835

Since this job requires a lot of driving, and with gas prices being what they are, I'm seriously considering buying a Toyota Prius hybrid. A friend has one and he gets about 55 mpg. They're nice to drive (I test drove one the other day) and if you get it loaded, it has a hands-free built-in cell phone feature and a GPS system. All for around $27000.

So, does anyone out there own one, and if so, what do you think? Are they worth getting?

Reply by OnTheDot - CO on 8/9/05 11:59am
Msg #57837

I have also thought about buying one of these cars. I test drove one and it was great. We need to do something to be more economically.

Reply by Glenn / ca on 8/9/05 12:04pm
Msg #57839

Mother in law owns one. Seems ok. Dealer did not mark it up over sticker as most are, so she got the entire package for 24 out the door 4 months ago. Has had a couple of minor issues with it. She doesn't get near 55 mpg with it, but she just drives it without thinking about the different kind of car it is. You need to learn how it works in order to maximize the fuel mileage. If you just drive it pedal to the metal, then you will be disapointed in the mileage. Also, it gets better mileage around town than on a long trip because the engine has to run all the time on a long trip and there is no savings that way. So a lot depends on your driving. Also, if your current car gets decent mileage and is paid off, are you really saving money by buying one? If you drive 50k miles per year, you will save a lot of money in fuel, but will it offset the interest, extra car insurance and the inflated price you will have to pay for the car? Look at the whole picture. Also, get the test article from Consumers Report and read it. You can order it off of their website. You may find that a lot of people who own hybrids are disapointed on the mileage they get.

Reply by Cali_NotaryGirl on 8/9/05 1:13pm
Msg #57854

I drove one last week, and it was very uncomfortable for my 5'7" 140 frame. For that kind of money there ARE fuel efficiant cars with more luxury and comfort. Hands free drving comes with most cars, as well as GPS. I tried driving it to maximize the fuel effeciency, and it was very slow and sluggish, and it couldn't take a hill at all. I need speed to pass when stuck on a two lane hwy in the sticks and Grandma Hildie is in front of me. I give it a thumbs down. BUT... soon in Cali you can drive them in the carpool lane with only one person in the car, which could be a bonus, depending on where you live.

Reply by thnotary_NY on 8/10/05 12:52pm
Msg #58069

"Hands free driving comes with most cars......".??

Reply by JanetK/CA on 8/9/05 2:38pm
Msg #57881

All very good points. The mileage figures shown on any new car reflect a testing standard that the industry uses that doesn't match normal driving conditions, so it's practically impossible to get the actual mileage shown on a new car sticker.

Reply by CaliNotary on 8/9/05 5:00pm
Msg #57910

So true. I bought a Honda Civic Hybrid a few months ago and am averaging about 37 MPG. The sticker said 47/48. But it still beats the heck out of what I was paying for gas on my old car. I figured it out and every tank of gas I use on the hybrid costs about $25 less in gas than I was paying with my truck. Not a bad savings when I'm filling up 2 or 3 times a week.

Now if that carpool lane federal law would actually get approval I'd be a very happy boy indeed.

Reply by JPS_CA on 8/9/05 5:05pm
Msg #57912

You could have bought a Honda Civic GX Cali, and you can use the carpool with no pasengers.
You will need like 200,000 miles in order to recoup the extra money for the battery pack, and when you break even you will need another pack of batteries.

With your Civic GX you can refill at home everynight from your natural gas line.

Reply by NY_TaxLady on 8/9/05 6:26pm
Msg #57922

Don't forget the credit on either cars on your tax return although it is going down each year. Nice credit though.

Reply by CaliNotary on 8/9/05 11:03pm
Msg #57968

Well, since I didn't even know about the natural gas Civic until I saw this post it wasn't really an option for me Smiley

Reply by Civic Owner on 8/10/05 1:49am
Msg #57981

I bought a 2004 Civic and I get about 35 miles to the gallen. great buy for 14k out the door interest included.

Reply by Dogmonger, Ca on 8/9/05 3:29pm
Msg #57897

One last bonus, if you die while driving

They won't have to buy a coffin for you, just put some handles on the car:-) Kidding of course.

Reply by Eatha/PA on 8/9/05 3:05pm
Msg #57887

How long does the battery last and how much does it cost to replace one?

Reply by Martha Gall CA on 8/9/05 5:40pm
Msg #57916

We own 2 (yep that's right 2) Honda Civic Hybrids. Hubby drives differently than I do and gets about 52-54 mpg. I jack rabbit start (bad girl) still get about 42-45. Have had his 3 yrs, mine 2. NO problems. He is 6'3' 370 #'s hard to get in and out of but lots of head room once he is in it. Felt more comfortable to us than the Prious.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.