Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Paper Weights...Anyone know the answer to this....
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2005 Index

Posted by cms_ny on 8/15/05 10:37pm
Msg #59277

I have been doing ALOT of eDocs lately and was wondering if anyone knows the legal/acceptable anwer to this question...

What type of paper should/could I be using to print out the mortgage docs? (ie. Copy Paper, Multiuse Paper etc.)....More specifically, what weight paper (ie. 20lb., 24lb., 28lb. etc.) and brightness (90, 94, etc.).

Are there any legal jurisdictions on this issue?

I'm in NY if that matters at all.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Reply by TitleGalCA on 8/15/05 10:44pm
Msg #59280

I used paper from Costco for everything and never heard a negative thing about it. Not aware of any 'legal' issues about paper quality.

Reply by Kimberly-IN on 8/15/05 10:45pm
Msg #59282

I don't think that there are any standards, not here at least.

Reply by cms_ny on 8/15/05 10:54pm
Msg #59287

than does anyone use plain ol' "COPY Paper" from such stores as Staples? I believe "Copy Paper" is like 88 Brightness, 20lb. Weight.

I haven't used it yet, but I believe it is usually a little cheaper than Multipurpose, Laser, etc. papers.

Reply by christiSocal on 8/15/05 11:00pm
Msg #59289

I tried to use copy paper in my laser- kept getting a paper jam, went back to mutipurpose- no problem.

Reply by dc_oh on 8/15/05 11:00pm
Msg #59290

Just bought a box yesterday. The tc I used to work for used staples paper too.

Reply by BK/FL on 8/15/05 11:25pm
Msg #59302

I have used most office store brand copy papers, Office Depot, Office Max and Staples. They all seem to run about the same 84 bright 20 lb. Occasionally the brighter paper goes on sale 94 bright and I grab that! When I buy paper it by the cases and whatever is on sale for legal size!

Only issue I have found is fuzz build up but easily wipes off the paper feed rollers.
Happy shopping! BK/FL

Reply by CA_Jeanet on 8/15/05 11:30pm
Msg #59306

One SS stated in their instructions recently, "Use plain paper and not thermal". I have noticed that very often the paper I normally use is of better quality than the overnight docs being sent to me. I have since changed to the lesser grade. If it's good enough for them, then it must be good enough for me!

Reply by Brijoe_WA on 8/16/05 1:08am
Msg #59318

Re: 24lb paper made for laser printers

I have a very tempermental laser printer....she only likes the 24lb paper, everything else she just chews up and spits it out at me. Also...I never knew there was a certian side recomended for printing on, I have noticed a big difference if you look at the package and load the paper that way.

Reply by ME-Indy on 8/16/05 2:48am
Msg #59325

Re: Hey Brijoe! What kind of prntr. do YOU have?

So I WON'T buy the same fussy model! Thanks.

Reply by Kimberly-IN on 8/16/05 6:24am
Msg #59331

I buy a case of legal at Sams for about $23 and haven't had a problem yet.

Reply by Brijoe_WA on 8/16/05 10:18am
Msg #59364

I have a USED HP 4000. I bought it on EBay for cheap. Can't complain. Probably just needs some tuning...I actully get my paper at a place here in town for $1.69/ream. Doesn't cost me much and they have an unending supply of Legal....seams I am the only one buying it.Smiley

Reply by Joel CT on 8/16/05 8:19am
Msg #59342

Although not directly related to NSA business, I noticed that the CT Secretary of State requires that corporation filing papers be filed on "good quality, high rag content paper" to allow for physical storage of the document.

Better paper certainly makes a nice impression, holds ink from your seal better, it does not rip when you apply a seal embosser to it, and it is much easier to handle at the signing table. But is it worth the price? Well, I buy cheap gas for my car, I guess I will keep on buying cheap paper too!

Joel

Reply by Bobbi in CT on 8/16/05 11:09am
Msg #59374

Paper Quality ...

If it is a 30 to 40 year loan, I am sure the lender would like to have the paper last at least as long as the term of the loan. Also, as Joel stated, something that holds the ink (paper and ink do not dissolve when damp) and doesn't easily tear or fall apart while being handled by X number of mail clerks, processors, closers, file clerks, auditors, etc.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.