Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
People- My favorite thing about this job.
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2005 Index

Posted by AngelinaAZ on 8/10/05 6:55pm
Msg #58176

I was booked all day yesterday and drove all over tarnation. I should have gotten gas last night but didn't... left early this morning for a closing in the middle of no-where. The circle K was jam-packed on my way out of town (the only gas station) so I thought I'd get gas in the signer's neck of the woods.

The signing was waaaay out this horrible dirt road at this Nut Farm (Pecans/Walnuts) with a little store that sold all different sorts of nuts. They didn't take credit/debit so I spent $10 on four little bags of nuts... they were fresh and hot... awesome.

As I left town... I needed gas and stopped at the only station in town. They didn't take credit/debit either. I only had $10 left and at 2.88/gallon the $10 would not even get me home it would only get me to another gas station.

A little old man hobbled out and took my money and I started the pump. I walked a few steps away to try to get better cell reception and call in my completion report and when I turned back around... he was washing my windows... checking my oil... the works. I am a really good tipper and I was feeling TERRIBLE... he was really old and I could tell he was making an effort to do a great job.

I had nothing to give... so I grabbed two bags of nuts, and feeling kind of cheesy said..."I don't have any more money for a tip... but if you like walnuts or pecans from that place out there you can have one of these bags."

He smiled a smile so big he almost blinded me! He was soooo happy. He said the candied walnuts were his very favorite and he'd "had a hankerin for them since Christmas" but that he couldn't drive anymore and his son wouldn't drive the road to go get them. He said to me as he accepted the bag... "Honey, you just made my whole week!"

He opened the bag carefully, smelled them 'MMMMMM', popped one in his mouth, winked at me... folded the bag up and carefully put it in his chest pocket and hobbled away.

What a good day!

Reply by Liz on 8/10/05 7:19pm
Msg #58180

That is such an awesome story. It must be the end of the month for CW or something, because I actually teared up.

Thanks for the great story!!

Reply by DellaCa on 8/10/05 7:35pm
Msg #58182

Re: Wonderful !! Thanks for sharing N/M

Reply by Alicia_CA on 8/11/05 12:08am
Msg #58236

Re: It's not just you...

I'm cryin', too!

Reply by Donna_CA on 8/10/05 7:42pm
Msg #58184

Re: People-Great story. Thanks for sharing. N/M

Reply by BrendaTX on 8/10/05 8:40pm
Msg #58190

Angelina - that was a great story! Thank you so much for being that kind of a person and for being willing to share.

I am so glad there are people like you in my little notary world.

Reply by TitleGalCA on 8/10/05 9:10pm
Msg #58192

Angelina...your name suits you!

I'm sure to him you were an Angel. Thanks for the story - I've been sitting at home all day feeling sorry for myself after an 'out patient' surgery yesterday...and I can't drive either....but for me it's temporary...for that old man, it's permanent. Thanks for making me feel grateful instead.

Reply by John_NorCal on 8/10/05 9:17pm
Msg #58193

Re: Angelina...your name suits you!

A place in God's heaven awaits all how follow the rule of respect and compassion for all. Nice to have people like you in this world!

Reply by AngelinaAZ on 8/10/05 9:39pm
Msg #58200

Re: Angelina...your name suits you!

Man oh man... you guys are being really nice. Trust me... there are no spare halos hanging around my area... but it was nice to be able to do something ( that I thought was small ) that ended up making somebody else really happy.

It's the little things... know what I mean?

When I saw how happy he was, I'd have given him both bags... but I know he wouldn't have taken them... he just wasn't that kind of guy...

Reply by TitleGalCA on 8/10/05 9:42pm
Msg #58202

Nah - he is probably tuning in...

"Touched by an Angel" on TV tonight! It is the little things, that is for sure Smiley

Reply by NY_TaxLady on 8/10/05 9:54pm
Msg #58206

Thanks Angelina

That is one of the stories that brings tears to my eyes. You don't hear much sweetness out there anymore. You made my day. Enjoy the rest of yours.

Reply by Teresa CA on 8/10/05 10:46pm
Msg #58218

Angelina,

I have to tell you that I came on tonight to ask an ethics question (which I will post next) but I always like to read what the buzz is for the day. So I read your post and you really made me cry.

The nice old man reminded me so much of my dad who I was just told last night has prostate cancer. Needless to say, it has been a tough 24 hours during which I have forced myself to keep busy so I don't have to think about it. Your story got me thinking about what a wonderful man my father is. He could have easily been that man that you met (except that we live in CA). Always a hard worker, always striving to do his best (something that he passed on to me) and always so appreciative for what he has been given. The kind of man who would give a stranger the shirt off of his back. In the world that we live in today it is a breath of fresh air to know that there are still some "good ol' boys" left. Just hope that somehow mine will be around a lot longer.

I know that this is a board for business questions and answers, but I had to share. Your story has really touched my heart! Thank you!

Reply by Martha Gall CA OT on 8/11/05 8:51am
Msg #58253

Good Luck to your dad. My hubby had prostate diagnosed about 4 years ago. Radiation for 63 days. Still here and doing well - I wish the same for your dad.

Reply by Teresa CA on 8/11/05 9:01am
Msg #58258

Thank you for the hope Martha! I my dad is a strong guy! He will fight! Good to hear yours is doing well!

Reply by BarbaraL_CA on 8/10/05 10:51pm
Msg #58219

What a breath of fresh air your story is! Thank you for sharing the experience. It reminds us of just what life is all about.

Reply by Karen Watterson on 8/10/05 10:57pm
Msg #58222

It is so nice to read a kind hearted story on this forum. Thanks for sharing.

Reply by MarleneM/USNA on 8/11/05 9:05am
Msg #58259

Re: Thanks for reminding us why we're all where we are

it was a great story

Reply by Giselle_CA on 8/11/05 11:53am
Msg #58311

Re: Thanks for reminding us why we're all where we are

It makes me wonder all the things we take for granted at times. And, this man was so happy with a bag of candied walnuts! What a great story. Thanks for sharing AngelinaAZ!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.