Notary Rotary
Please I need your opinion
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2005 Index

Posted by Stacey/CA on 8/5/05 8:33pm
Msg #57257

What happens if a notary makes a mistake on the county in the Jurat/Acknowledgement? What if the mistake is made unwillingy? Have you had that case? What might be the liabilities for the notary? The doc is a simple one page for changes on the content of a document. Please advise!!! Thank you

Reply by PAW_Fl on 8/5/05 8:39pm
Msg #57259

OMG!!!

The world as we know it will come to an end! (Just kidding.)

Probably nothing will come of it. Mistakes happen and entering the wrong county in the venue is a minor error. As long as there is county by that name in your state.

I do closings for a couple of title companies in a neighboring county. The lender is in a different county and often the property is located in yet another county. Sometimes the venue is incorrectly preprinted and I don't always catch it. It didn't stop anything from going to completion. The only one that you really must pay very close attention to is the DOT or mortgage, or any recordable document. They get scrutinized more, sometimes. But, even then, the world wouldn't stop spinning.

Reply by Stacey/CA on 8/5/05 8:44pm
Msg #57261

Re: OMG!!!

Paw, thank you very much for the advice. I am a new notary and I freak out pretty much every time I have to notarize. Thanks once again!!!

Reply by Glenn/ ca on 8/5/05 9:47pm
Msg #57271

I have done many signings and have really only had one error called to my attention when I forgot to enter the county on one notarization. My point is that in all the signings that I have done, I can't be that good. I have had to make more mistakes than that and they just went through. I freaked out when I first started too. Just go through the documents a couple of times then send them in. If you are called on an error, don't make any execuses just take responsibility and ask what you can do to fix it. A good company will appreciate that attitude and you won't lose any work.

Reply by AngelinaAZ on 8/6/05 12:14am
Msg #57299

**I am a new notary and I freak out pretty much every time I have to notarize.**

I gotta love ya Stacey. Brutal honesty about oneself is one of my favorite qualities in a person! It will get better... I promise!

Someday soon you'll get through an entire signing without any heart pounding.

Just wait until you are trying to sleep at the EOM... you had too much coffee all day and you dream weird dreams about missing the FEDEX cutoff or writing the wrong dates on everything.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.