Notary Rotary
Power of attoney HELP ASAP
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2005 Index

Posted by Anonymous on 8/3/05 12:47am
Msg #56538

I am a newbie, and I have my first power of attoney tomorrow! The client was told by her lawyer that the notary would have the right form. Is this something that I can buy at Staples, or print on line?

Reply by BarbaraL_CA on 8/3/05 1:25am
Msg #56543

Notaries don't supply forms unless it's a jurat or acknowledgement, and with that, the notary can not decide what form to use. You must be instructed by the person requesting the signing what form to use - or in your case by her/his attorney.

Reply by Bobbi in CT on 8/3/05 7:51am
Msg #56556

What State are you in ?

Do the people think you are an Independent Document Preparer?

In any state, if you are serving only as a Notary Public, then you do not provide any forms. In states with specific regulations regarding document preparers, the IDP may have a form that the customer chooses. For example, going to a "We the People" franchise.

Tell these people to tell their lawyer you are acting only as a Notary Public and that their lawyer has to prepare the Power of Attorney. Of course, they may be trying to avoid paying an attorney for this service; i.e., the lawyer might not have exactly said "the Notary has the form," but rather the customer could go to a no-legal-advice document fill-in-the-blank service.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.