Notary Rotary
Printer
Notary Discussion History

Printer
Go Back to August, 2005 Index

Posted by Cindy Young on 8/12/05 8:28am
Msg #58499

Printer

I presently have an HP1012 laser printer and the only way it will accept some of the downloads is if I call tech support. I don't think it prints quick enough either. Does anyone have any suggestions on what printers work best for our signings?

Reply by Art_MD on 8/12/05 8:49am
Msg #58501

A search will give you lots of info on printers.
In a nutshell preferences are:
1. HP multifunction
2. HP single function
3. Brothers 5140.

Requirements: (my opinion plus others)
1. 18+ PPM
2. PCL6 compliant
3. Handle legal paper
4. Laser printer

Options

1. 2nd tray (most on this board don't use 2 trays - print all legal)
2. able to add memory

Other considerations:

1. Volume of printing - Myself, I use a brothers 5140. Consider it a consumable. Drum life is 20,000 pages. Drum goes, buy a new one yearly. If you go with a higher end HP, you will replace drum periodically. Cost is higher to begin with with HP.
2. Cost of toner. Some are easy to refill at <1/4 cost of new cartridge. Some more difficult to refill. Some have a chip that must be replaced if you refill.

Lots of more info on board if you search.

Art

Reply by BLE on 8/12/05 9:24am
Msg #58506

I have a Dell 1700. I just bought it after my HP went kaput. I like it very much. Great memory/speed and can have a 2nd tray if desired. Plus, I love the Dell toner plan set up!

Reply by Joe on 8/12/05 9:29am
Msg #58509

I have a Lexmark and It is quick.

Reply by Art_MD on 8/12/05 9:34am
Msg #58511

Re: Printer more..

My post was not intended to say that there aren't other printers that are excellent. Just giving a brief overview. I also use a Minolta 1250W as a second printer - it is not PCL6 complient so use mainly on PDF files.

Art

Reply by Bonnie/FL on 8/12/05 10:21am
Msg #58529

I too have a Dell 1700 and love it when it works. Keep having jamming problems which Dell has explained as "their" problem and couldn't be fixed over the phone. Keep your warranty. I have had to replace the printer twice! Also their "network" scanner isn't really set up for a network, only for one user which Dell themselves were shocked about. We have been sent more parts for ours. But look on the internet, you can buy Dell toner less expensive than through Dell.

Reply by BLE on 8/12/05 10:31am
Msg #58535

Re: Printer Dell Jams

I've never had a jamming problem. Neither does my sister. The only time I had a jamming problem was when I failed to tell it "legal size"!

Reply by Bonnie/FL on 8/12/05 10:40am
Msg #58538

Re: Printer Dell Jams

I have 2 trays, no need to tell it what size, it is automatically set. Just been a frustrating experience that even Dell says had something to do with their own "brain" in the printer or whatever they used. But they sent what we needed and my husband replaced it. Something got confused in the printer. And eventually after sending out parts, they just replaced the entire printer. So I am ok. But had more jams the other day once again printing edocs. I think it gets "tired" when I am printing a lot of docs. Who knows. But when it works, it works great!

Reply by BLE on 8/12/05 10:49am
Msg #58539

Re: Printer Dell Jams for Bonnie/FL

Were these jams specific to your printer? Is it something we should be on the look out for? I have a single tray and have never had a problem. My sister has dual trays and prints with no problems also.

Reply by Bonnie/FL on 8/12/05 10:57am
Msg #58547

Re: Printer Dell Jams for Bonnie/FL

Could be we just got a fluky printer. I just wanted to put out my problems in case someone else had the same and that if you do have problems, keep the service contract and Dell will actually replace the entire printer for free but you have to send the other one back and they pick up the tab for it after you get the new one. But my husband talked them into sending us a new printer. I had the printer for about 5 months before I started having problems. I did have a jam again the other day and each time after I cleared it, it started again. Finally it stopped so I have no clue whats the deal but this time we are using the new printer. Talk about jamming, I have to leave for an MRI of my right shoulder, rotator cuff injury. Now my shoulder is jamming. LOL I hope your printer stays working ok. I still love mine, just frustrated for a while there.

Reply by ANONYMOUS on 8/12/05 10:13am
Msg #58526

A REAL INEXPENSIVE PRINTER W/ A PCL 6 IS THE BROTHER HL-5140. $200.00

Reply by Glenn / CA on 8/12/05 11:26am
Msg #58561

Brother 5140 with 2nd tray option hasn't missed a beat.

Reply by Glenn ca on 8/12/05 11:27am
Msg #58562

Brother 5140

with 2nd tray option hasn't missed a beat. Always have a back up printer though.

Reply by Brother owner on 8/12/05 12:01pm
Msg #58573

I believe it's currently $179.99 aftre $20 rebate at Office Max, might be less on net, try Pricegrabber or Pricewatch.com. if you think you'll want 2nd tray GET IT NOW (model 5140DLT)
as the 2nd letter tray (LT 5000) has a retail of $125.00 by itself I believe.

Reply by JPS_CA on 8/12/05 1:12pm
Msg #58601

I paid 149.99 for my HL 5140 at Staples. $ 161.00 total price at my door step.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.