Notary Rotary
Question about the Brother 5140
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2005 Index

Posted by MsRobboPA on 8/21/05 10:41am
Msg #60552

I am planning on replacing my laser printer with the Brother 5140. Can anyone tell me if it comes with the extra paper tray or do I purchase separately???

Reply by Markita-MI on 8/21/05 10:46am
Msg #60556

Check out Msg #59569 and all replies. I think this will answer your question.

Reply by Ilona_OH on 8/21/05 2:13pm
Msg #60589

Not having studied mechanics of any kind(too busy raising 12 kidsmost from !st husband family)--what is the drum on some of these machines?

Reply by LawrenceOK on 8/21/05 11:40am
Msg #60566

Mine did not come with the second tray. It cost almost as much as the damn printer did.
The problem with the 5140 is you can buy it dirt cheap and you can buy a new one for the same cost as the drum. Other then that, it's a damn good printer. I tell lenders and TC's that if they want me to print letter size docs, then they can buy the second tray. They always laugh and say all legal is fine. Dont guess I'll be getting tray two outta them huh?

Reply by thnotary_NY on 8/21/05 3:19pm
Msg #60606

I have the 5140 and had to buy the second tray as Stalples did not sell it. Got it off of e-bay. Around $100. Get yourself a new toner while your at it. One that comes with it is only good for about 3K. Get the one that's good for 6k if expenses allow. Shop around. Brother TN 570

Reply by Sharon/CA on 8/21/05 3:44pm
Msg #60609

I have the Brother HL5150DLT - this one has both trays and prints on both sides of the paper if it is instructed to do so by the software. I paid $350 for the printer and i'ts great!

Reply by Anonymous on 8/21/05 8:53pm
Msg #60653

You mention printing on both sides... Iowa recording now requests only one side, they will charge extra if printed on both sides... fyi... Really getting very fussy about recording.

Reply by Sharon/CA on 8/21/05 9:28pm
Msg #60660

Wow, that's good info to know. However, I have never been requested to print on both sides. One thing though, I had mentioned THE PRinter has the capability if the software sent instructions to print both sides, the printer Brother HL5150DLT has the know how. I myself have never had doc's sent to me with the instructions to print both sides. However, I helped out a nearby notary who's printer was acting up and she needed her docs right away. We were able to open the docs and print them out on my Brother HL5150DLT and low and behold the software had sent instructions to print both sides. At first we thought.. uh.. oh.. the printer is taking the paper back in and Oh No.. what was gonna happen with the copy.. but what is was doing was printing the other side of the legal size paper. Anyway, I'll keep look out for docs that will be recorded in Iowa. Haven't gotten one yet but ya just never know! Again thanks for the heads up on that one!

Reply by db_IL on 8/22/05 1:16am
Msg #60690

I'm on board with Sharon/CA, the Brother 5150 DLT is awesome. Brother printers are kind of like buying foreign cars the letters following the model name detail the added features:

model # - followed by D (means duplexer)
model # - followed by LT (means lower tray)

So if you're looking at a 5140 means the printer only no add-ons.

However, I bought mine awhile back (last one in stock from OfficeMax) for $225 and have had no trouble finding economic supplies. For high-yield toner check (inkjetsuperstore.com or LDproducts.com) 3 cartridges for $105 + free s/h. For drum keep eye on e-bay, I have one on standby that I got for $80.

Reply by Brother owner on 8/22/05 7:45am
Msg #60694

Best price now is from PCNation.com, $276, 5140DLT ( 5140 [D]uplex capable,with [LT] lower tray, which can be used for letter or legal ) free 2-3 day shipping, no sales tax most states. Also, consider getting extra memory, 128meg card is available for $19, part # is BRO 003 (that's 3 letters, followed by three numbers) if you can't find it, post and I'll loook up my
source)

Reply by MsRobboPA on 8/22/05 8:02am
Msg #60695

Many thanks for all of your help Smiley

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.