Notary Rotary
QuickBooks: Basic 2005 vs Pro
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2005 Index

Posted by CaSigner on 8/15/05 1:38pm
Msg #59160

Anyone use or upgrade from one to the other. I am thinking about buying just the basic but I was wondering if the upgrade to pro is worth the $100. Any suggetions on where to but it cheap or cheapest?

Reply by OnTheGoInFla on 8/15/05 2:11pm
Msg #59165

I am not sure on the 2005 version but in the 2003 version the main difference was that the pro did payroll so if you didn't need that the basic was fine. You can later upgrade if you want to.. In Florida Costco usually had the best deals with rebates.

Reply by db_IL on 8/15/05 3:43pm
Msg #59176

I agree that Quickbooks Basic provides you with the more than enough if you're wanting a good bookkeeping/accounting program. I've used QB Pro since 2001 only because for my family-owned janitorial/maintenance business the payroll/tax table feature was a "must have".

Ours (2002) was purchased at Sam's Club for about $200+ cheaper than OfficeMax or Office Depot type stores. Another good way to cut costs is to buy the previous year's version since only a few fancy features are added from year to year. Just like a car, unless you absolutely have to have your 6-CD changer in the car vs. in the trunk you may save money with last year's model.

Only caution is that you are urged quite frequently to upgrade. At year end and at intervals throughout the year you get offers/notices. However if your system suits you, as ours has, we've passed on upgrades and are doing fine. Recently ours was grandfathered making it no longer compatible for online downloads or tech support. But that's no problem since after using it for almost 4 years I'm familiar enough with all the features so I don't need any tech support.

Reply by DWSNC1 on 8/15/05 7:17pm
Msg #59224

I'm not sure about earlier editions, but the '05 Pro enables you to set whether you want automatic updates or not. Additionally, Pro works with Microsoft Office, whereas Basic does not.

Reply by Martha Gall CA on 8/15/05 5:00pm
Msg #59206

Bought the 2004 Pro on Bay New in Box $129 or not long ago. Have QB for years in various business setting. Check for the Basic in E-bay.

Reply by CaSigner on 8/15/05 5:49pm
Msg #59213

Is there much difference between pro and basic?

Reply by db_IL on 8/15/05 7:44pm
Msg #59231

Re: Is there much difference between pro and basic?

Pro is targeted directly for the business with employees, thus with more specific tax & recordkeeping needs (payroll deductions, federal/state withholdings, etc). Unless you become a signing agency these would be a waste for you. For example in 'Pro' under the menu of "Reports" there are several categories for generating reports on employee wages/payroll liabilities, etc. It's too in depth to give a one liner. But it is nice at year end to be able to generate an income/loss statement, even graphs to hand right over to your accountant. That feature may be available in Basic too. I've never had QB Basic so I can't speak as to whether this is a feature only for 'Pro' or not.

I suggest going to Intuit's website (www.quickbooks.com) and doing a comparison for the features of Basic & Pro. They should even have a way for you to list your priorities and goals, allowing them to suggest which would be best for you. But with that info, definitely shop elsewhere for the software. Their prices are ridiculous. As previous posters mentioned - ebay is an awesome source.

Reply by CaSigner on 8/15/05 8:25pm
Msg #59236

Sounds like I need Basic, thanks all

Reply by NY_TaxLady on 8/15/05 10:27pm
Msg #59272

Re: Sounds like I need Basic, thanks all

I think if you go on QB web site you can get a demo version to try.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.