Notary Rotary
Reduced Fees
Notary Discussion History

Reduced Fees
Go Back to August, 2005 Index

Posted by Anonymous on 8/1/05 11:08am
Msg #56159

Reduced Fees

Has anyone had a fee reduced after a signing for forgetting to put a stamp on one of the docs?

Reply by Merry_CA on 8/1/05 12:11pm
Msg #56170

Did you correct your error?

Reply by Anonymous on 8/1/05 12:25pm
Msg #56171

Yes they faxed me an all purpose acknowledgment to Fedx back. This was a first and second.

Reply by Merry_CA on 8/1/05 12:29pm
Msg #56172

I hope you are not in CA! It would have been a violation of CA notary Law to sign and stamp a loose ack without the borrowers before you so that you could i.d. them again.

Reply by Anonymous on 8/1/05 12:48pm
Msg #56175

No it was an acknowledgment that they came before me on such and such date.

Reply by chuckCA on 8/1/05 12:49pm
Msg #56176

Deducting the cost of the Fedx is fair

If you properly identified the signers at the signing you will be fine. I wouldn't meet the signers again in person, there's no point other than perhaps a strict interpretation of a California statute designed for some other purpose.

Their ID's, thumbprints, faces and documents will still be the same.

Reply by SarahBeth_CA on 8/1/05 1:21pm
Msg #56182

Re: Deducting the cost of the Fedx is fair

Did you have them fax you proof of your mistake? If you did and there was a missing stamp I would be inclined to have them ship you the doc with the attatched certificate so that you can stamp it. You've aleady gone through the process of personal apearance, ID, and them acknowledging thier signature. I would be leary of anyone asking me to send a loose ack. We are to attatch the certs. Who knows what that cert could be attatched to.

Reply by chuck on 8/1/05 1:23pm
Msg #56183

Re: Deducting the cost of the Fedx is fair

Reply by chuckCA on 8/1/05 1:29pm
Msg #56184

Sorry, finger hit a wrong key

On the acknowledgement you can identify the document by date, description, that nobody else signed, etc. Whatever you care to write down. That will keep it from being used for any other purpose.

Reply by Anonymous on 8/1/05 2:09pm
Msg #56191

Re: The name and date

of borrower were on the Ack. with a photo copy of the orignal not stamped doc.

Reply by Merry_CA on 8/1/05 3:07pm
Msg #56205

Please read Msg #53123. I was on the phone for 20 min. with the CA SOS office to clear up the matter of TC, SS or ??? requesting a notary to produce another ack (for any reason.) The bottom line is (read your CA handbook) "personally appeared"... not yesterday, not a week ago, but ANY TIME you are producing an ack and putting your stamp to it! It's the law (in CA.) I know it's a PIA to have to go back to borrowers, but you must re-i.d. and re-sign the journal. I had this happen ONCE! Never again! I am now so careful of those pesky little acks ;)

Reply by Anonymous on 8/1/05 7:18pm
Msg #56264

Thank you one and all.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.