Notary Rotary
What Would You Do?
Notary Discussion History

What Would You Do?
Go Back to August, 2005 Index

Posted by Select Processing Servivces - Southeast Michigan on 8/13/05 3:09pm
Msg #58896

What Would You Do?

After four reschedules, finally this thing is closed! My signing was scheduled for the third time today at 10AM. I got there at about 10 or 15 til 10am. I rang the door bell, knocked. Still no answer. I call but the line doesn't ring but is busy. I try several times still the same. I knock again. I ring the doorbell. I'm thinking someone must be here because there is a beautiful white Tahoe in the driveway. Yet, no one answers the phone or the door. I go back to my car and call the signing company but of course---they are CLOSED. I wait for about 30 minutes before I leave---still no answer by phone. I go back to the door and knock...repeat the doorbell but no one responds. I put my business card in the screen door and leave.

At about 155 the wife calls me and asks where are you? You didn't show up. I politely advised was there as scheduled, wht Tahoe in driveway....no one answered the door or phone. She then asks me what number I called. Then says Oh no that is the wrong number. We have been having problems with that number.

I ask if they wished to get this signing done today. (fourth schedule)Needless to say, I got back to their place about 230. Its an IndyMac loan. So, I am in and out. All of this, for about 15-25 pages and 3 notarizations in total. Turns out the borrower is a truck driver and just got in at about 4am this morning. He and wife were snoozing while I was knocking and ringing the door bell. They never even heard me.

I want to charge the signing company an additional trip fee. Shoot! With gas now topping a whopping $2.55/gallon here in MICHIGAN, I think I deserve it for having to make two trips through no fault of mine.

What do ya think?

Reply by BLE on 8/13/05 3:17pm
Msg #58898

Re: What Would You Do?

Reply by BLE on 8/13/05 3:20pm
Msg #58899

Sorry, wrong button. Who scheduled the original appt? Was the phone number you were given the number used to make the appt? I would probably want to charge a trip fee, too. But, if it was just a case of borrowers not answering the door/phone, I'm not sure I'd even mention it to the SS or TC. If they had furnished an incorrect phone number, then I'd think they should help pay my gas card bill!

Reply by Select Processing Servivces - Southeast Michigan on 8/13/05 7:09pm
Msg #58930

SS scheduled original appt. I called and confirmed with borrower using the number originally given for signing request by ss. I had spoken to borrower/wife using originally given number.

I am going to request an additional trip fee from the signing service. Thanks for replying...

Markita-MI

Reply by Charm_AL on 8/13/05 3:52pm
Msg #58904

invoice with an additional $20. trip fee and write a short note that the borrowers were a no show and was rescheduled for later in the day, after they called you, and the phone number was wrong.

Reply by Julie-MI on 8/13/05 5:56pm
Msg #58920

You made two trips. You should be paid full fee and I would bill full fee. What was the policy with the signing service prior to you going out?

I had a borrower last august that was doped up on Benadryl for her hay fever and was sleeping though my phone calls from the porch. I received full fee for both trips.

Reply by LilyMD on 8/13/05 6:37pm
Msg #58926

I would charge an additional trip fee.

Reply by Denise, CA on 8/13/05 7:13pm
Msg #58932

Any signing service worth being in business will bill their client additional amounts for your trip. My clients order the notary through my website and I instruct my notaries that when they are updating the status of the assignment on the website, if they enter in the comment box anything unusual about the signing then I can make sure they are taken care of. You should be paid a trip fee for the first trip there when they were sleeping.

Reply by JPS_CA on 8/13/05 7:17pm
Msg #58934

One time the SS sent me at 10AM signing, docs were not yet delivered and I went to the borrowers home and I called the SS from the borrowers home; I told them docs still in transit and UPS delivers only after 12, I came back the very same day after other appts. I had and I was paid double.

Reply by Denise, CA on 8/13/05 7:16pm
Msg #58933

I also feel fees are somewhat based on time and distance. You actually should be paid more than a normal trip fee because you stated that you spent at least 30 minutes trying to get a response from them.

Reply by JPS_CA on 8/13/05 7:19pm
Msg #58935

I forgot to mention that Google maps calculated the travel distance for this particular signing
at 1/4 mile and it will take me 58 seconds to get there.

Reply by CaliNotary on 8/13/05 9:13pm
Msg #58949

"I want to charge the signing company an additional trip fee. Shoot! With gas now topping a whopping $2.55/gallon here in MICHIGAN, I think I deserve it for having to make two trips through no fault of mine."

You don't deserve a trip fee because the price of gas is $2.55 per gallon (way cheaper than it is here in CA , we're $2.71/gallon right now). You deserve a trip fee because you made a trip and the borrower was a no show.

Reply by Denise, Ca on 8/13/05 9:18pm
Msg #58951

Any and all trips to a borrower to complete a signing that are not due to notary error should be compensated for. My Signing Service always pays notaries extra for extra/additional/return trips that are lender/broker/escrow etc. errors.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.