Notary Rotary
What are EIN and TIN numbers?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2005 Index

Posted by Anonymous on 8/3/05 10:35am
Msg #56597

I am a new CA notary and tried to sign up with SS. I dont understand why they need our driver license or SSN on their site . I've heard about we may use our SSN or EIN or TIN #s for W9 form. I do not know about these forms. How to get these numbers and how long do they take? Thank you.

Reply by Dogmonger, Ca on 8/3/05 10:56am
Msg #56607

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=98350,00.html

Reply by Anonymous on 8/3/05 10:57am
Msg #56609

Thank you.

Reply by Brian/CA on 8/3/05 12:09pm
Msg #56631

Just like any other business, SS need to have write offs. Using our SSN or EIN numbers they can write off our fees. If a SS requires a driver's license, make a copy and mark out anything you feel is a privacy issue. State items marked out are privacy issues on the copy and fax it to them. I've marked out my license number and age. Never had anyone question it.

Reply by Anonymous on 8/3/05 12:11pm
Msg #56634

Thank you.

Reply by Roger/OH on 8/3/05 1:01pm
Msg #56656

You need to supply a tax ID number (SSN or TIN) to the SS so they can report to the IRS what they paid you, which the IRS can then match up with what you declared. If the SS paid you over $600, they're required to provide you a Form 1099 showing the total amount paid for the year. Even if you didn't make $600 with a particular SS, and don't receive a 1099, you must still report the income to the IRS; you can be sure the SS does, and the numbers had better match up if you're asked.

Reply by patti-ca on 8/3/05 1:02pm
Msg #56657

A SS doesn't need your SSN or EIN to write off the expense. We are required to report the amount that we pay you (1099's) to the government so they can collect the taxes. SSN or not, an expense is an expense (write-off) but a true write-off would be when you "write-off" income, in other words, when your customer doesn't pay you, you write off the income not recieved. This does not apply to cash basis tax filers which is how most file their taxes

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.