Notary Rotary
What would you do?
Notary Discussion History

What would you do?
Go Back to August, 2005 Index

Posted by Marie_MN on 8/30/05 9:05pm
Msg #62745

What would you do?

Gotta vent here and would like some opinions on how you would have handled this one. Friday, I got a call 1/2 hour before I was to leave for a signing, to do another signing for a different company. I accepted and the docs came in late making me late for my first apointment. Lucky for me the borrowers were great about it. Anyway, I get a call today from ss company saying that I forgot to sign as the Loan Closer on the Affidavit of Loan Closer. I told her that I didn't think that was for me and she said it was.

Here is what the document said: I, Jane Doe, (not my name) the loan signer and employee of Title Company, and that on (blank) I handled the loan signing for Blah, Blah,Blah.

Signature of Loan Closer _____________________

Subscribed and sworn be fore me_______________________________

After reading this and realizing that Jane Doe's name was there I didn't want to sign as the loan closer and couldn't notarize a blank signature. So I explained this to them and they said that I had to sign and cross off Jane Doe's name and sign. I told her that I had never ran across this in all the 3 years that I have been a Signing Agent. They had me sign and fax AND next day priority air ($23.00) back to title company. SS Company said I had to pay for this and they could not help me with 1/2 the cost.

In the mean time I called the title comapany and said that I was trying to justify paying for that when it was not my fault that they mistakenly put in the closers name instead of leaving it blank. They put me on hold, called the ss company and told me the ss company would be calling me, which they did and told me that I had made the title company mad and that they were told by title company never to use me again. WHAT, I didn't even get to ask them about the fee because they put me on hold.

Needless to say, I was not happy with ss company after I bent over backwards for them and made another client wait while they got their papers over to me. WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE DONE!!!

Reply by Anonymous on 8/30/05 9:10pm
Msg #62746

I think you did the right thing. Who was the signing company?? I would of done the same thing as you............

Reply by Nd_WA on 8/30/05 9:48pm
Msg #62754

I think I know which SS/TC you are dealing with b/c I was in the same mess as you. I did sign the affidavit but I crossed the wordings that did not apply to me on that form. What I did different is sent back the affidavit using TC's fedex account instead of mine.

Got pay and never heard of nor would I work with that TC/SS again.

Reply by Lee_AR on 8/30/05 9:56pm
Msg #62758

Marie...ND...

Could you let the cat out of the bag so I can add these 2 to my personal No-No list?

Reply by Nd_WA on 8/31/05 4:44am
Msg #62801

Re: Marie...ND...

It's against my policy to disclose/defame a company just because I disliked their SOP, slow in payment, or for whatever reasons. It's strictly business, you know....

Reply by lindetteh on 8/30/05 10:13pm
Msg #62762

I Get that form alot lately. When you fill out the top portion and sign and date it is misleading because it looks like they want you to notorize you own signature, which you can't do and at the bottom of the form it states confirmed by: this is were the borrower is supposed to sign I would have signed it and faxed it back acking you to overnight that form seems over the top

Reply by BrendaTX on 8/31/05 11:15am
Msg #62855

***Needless to say, I was not happy with ss company after I bent over backwards for them and made another client wait while they got their papers over to me. WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE DONE!!!**

First of all, I agree that the affidavit is stupid and I would not return it to the title company without their courier number. This is not holding up the loan.

Does no one else recognize there are two things that caused the notary a problem?

1) She bent over backwards and expected someone to notice or respect that. Rule #1 is only bend over backwards for yourself and your own business. ||| Before things like this happen make rules for your business that will or will not let you do this. If you routinely take last minute assignments, you are an adrenaline junky and you like it...so, you are not doing anyone a favor because that's your business model.

Reply by BrendaTX on 8/31/05 11:17am
Msg #62857

Re: What would you do? oops...

***Needless to say, I was not happy with ss company after I bent over backwards for them and made another client wait while they got their papers over to me. WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE DONE!!!**

First of all, I agree that the affidavit is stupid and I would not return it to the title company without their courier number. This is not holding up the loan.

Does no one else recognize there are two things that caused the notary a problem?

1) She bent over backwards and expected someone to notice or respect that. Rule #1 is only bend over backwards for yourself and your own business. ||| Before things like this happen make rules for your business that will or will not let you do this. If you routinely take last minute assignments, you are an adrenaline junky and you like it...so, you are not doing anyone a favor because that's your business model.

2) She called the title company directly to discuss the problem when she was working for the SS. I think it would have been better to write a letter to the TC, fax it, and cc the SS. I put everything I can in writing. Liars will always make up stories about what you said.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.