Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
doesn't the deed of trust always get notorized?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to August, 2005 Index

Posted by CekimonCA on 8/26/05 5:42pm
Msg #62074

ok,yes, i know i'm new ... but i'm doing a signing tonight and there's no ack. on the deed of trust. do i need to attach my own? what's going on here? sorry if this question has been asked a million times. i am going to search for the answer right now.

Reply by Anne Arnold on 8/26/05 5:43pm
Msg #62076

Is there something on the last page that says "attach certificate here" or something to that effect? I had one not too long ago that didn't have a notarization block anywhere but it did say to attach one (albeit in small letters that I could have missed!)

Reply by CekimonCA on 8/26/05 5:44pm
Msg #62078

Thanks Anne. Could I be a bigger dork?? It's right there in black and white. I'm just freaking out. I am definately going out for a drink after this signing!!

Reply by Anne Arnold on 8/26/05 5:48pm
Msg #62082

I know how you feel! I've been dorky myself on a few signings. Where in CA are you? I'm in the LA area.

Reply by BrendaTX on 8/26/05 7:32pm
Msg #62091

I am impressed that you noticed you needed a notary cert. Seriously, two years ago when I started, I wonder if my track record would be so great if I had been faced with that little scenario.

I spent inordinate amounts of times pouring over documents, learning where all the key terms were in each.... making sure I could find all the answers and would have a general idea of the loan's terms before I went to the signing. I could have easily been so uptight I missed something so obvious!

I was a notary for many years before but I was no signing agent. I had to practice my signing agent skit regularly before I got top billing.

Of course, I was in my forties as well...no one tries to break into notary tv at that age, ya know? Finally A&E picked up my gig and now, I am .... well....I am obviously....very delusional.

I have a rev mort (three act play) to do at 8 pm, and then I will return to do a documentary here on NotRot about when "Lil' TexNotary meets Manly Municipal, the Notary from the city's First Homebuyers' Program."

What can you say about a manly man who shakes hands with women like this: Nice firm grip, then before he lets go, a sharp squeeze across the finger side of the knuckles...hard! Sick Gastard...that's what I say. Freak. Obviously using that kind of weird tactic to inflict pain on both me and the female bwr.

I am NOT kidding you. Anyhow...it's too good not to record for posterity. I don't think the man was living in the same reality that I was...aw heck...What's real, anyhow?...okay...see you kids later for story time.

Reply by TitleGalCA on 8/26/05 10:00pm
Msg #62109

Brenda...handshakes

You hit on one of my pet peeves...men who give me the ahem...FIRMEST handshake possible. And they always seem to do it when I'm wearing rings...Ouch, it hurts. I always appreciate a man who, when the obligatory handshake is necessary...hold my hand like I'm a lady. Most of them want to send a message they are Joe Caveman instead. I'm still working on sending my own message when I get the Joe Caveman shake...but haven't mastered it yet.

Reply by PNW_Notary on 8/26/05 10:46pm
Msg #62117

Handshakes - just say "OW!"

Most big guys do not know they are being rough.

If you say "OW!" they will catch on.

I have mentored many young business women and men in my time. One of the things I do is train them in how to give a positive handshake. Women tend to be too wimpy. Big guys can inflict great pain.

When at a signing and faced with a BIG GUY and think I might be crippled, I often just grasp the fingertips - like the French do - and shake limply. The guy thinks I am a city priss but I don't care. My hand remain unbruised.

Yet another solution - don't shake at all.
During cold season (October through April), I always manage to have both hands full when I walk in. One holds my purse, the other holds my briefcase. No opportunity to shake hands. Same going out.

Reply by BrendaTX on 8/27/05 1:53am
Msg #62143

The rest of the story...

In my town there is a 1st Time Homebuyer's assistance program through community block grants. This little man was there because of this. In this program you must live in the home you purchase for five years. If you do, you get up to $7500 free and clear to put on a home. Ms. B had done this but needed another six months to make up her five years.

He blasted in and shook Ms. B's hand. She remarked that his firm handshake was a little too firm. Then I stood and shook his hand and looked him straight in the eye because I had already sensed his manner . I assure you, this wormy little twerp worked to put the handcrusher on right at the end. Read on...

He brought an instrument to assure that the DOT would be subordinated to the city or some such. I am not working for him so I do not give a rat's aspirin. I understand that she must live in that house another few months but it's not my job to worry about the City's interest in the property. If she stealthily sells her newly refi'd home and if she moves herself into a trailerhouse to craftily foil the intent of the city's incentive program, NOT MY PROBLEM. I did not say this of course, but for PETE'S SAKE MR. EGO.

He first stated that he would never do another closing of this nature in a home, but rather in a title company.

I answered Okay.

I told the borrower that the title company vs SA was cheaper for her with me... that it was for the benefit of the borrower so that she could save money on the refi in the way Tx handles things. She said, "yes, the lender said this is how they do 99% of their refis." He pouted.

Then he LOUDLY said he was a notary and he knew how to notarize documents and had been handling real estate transactions for years. He demanded a copy of the SS.

I gave him one to LOOK AT and stated so... and he literally put it out of my reach and gave me a "look" that said, "See there, I took it. Just try and get it."

Then he began to rant about how unprofessional this was to be in the b's home...he said it was ridiculous to have a national title company in charge of a local transaction.

He said he wanted to TAKE THE DOT TO FILE AT THE COURTHOUSE. I said if this was to be the case, it would come from the title company that hired me....should we call them? I thought so.

NO. [ He wanted to berate me, not talk to a title company. A lot of people make that mistake with me. ]

I loved this: "When will the DOT be filed?"

Me: Soon...after the lender and title company decide it is time.

Him: WASTE of time and stupid. Why would you send it here, there and everywhere before filing?

Me: Because the lender is the one who stands to lose if I don't oversee a correct and perfect signing of these documents??? They hire a title company who will assure this will happen just like they want it to????

[He keeps referring to the TC and Lender as "ya'll" as if I am part of "them."

Him: Well, ***I*** want to file the DOT. >>>I don't want it filed at ANY courthouse but Brazos county. WILL it be filed at this courrhouse????? Where will this be filed????<<<<

Me: No longer able to be the straight man, I allowed a very small amused look and in ever-so-slightly teeny bopper style, a giggle, then "If the property is in Brazos County, what other county courthouse would one file such an instrument to record a common lien? I could file it today myself at the clerk's office if the title company directed me to, shall I call the title company and let you talk to them?"

Him: Yelling, almost: I know how to file documents TOO! I am a notary! I know real estate.

Him: I want this filed right away.

Me: Well...I am going to send it right back to the title company and that's the end of my involvement.

Him: I want your name and phone number.

Me: Okay...you can have my name... my number, but if you call, I will tell you the same thing...you need to talk with the title company about this.

Him: I don't want the run around.

Me: Title company call perhaps????

Him: No. You just make sure.

Me: It's time to contact the title company about this.

Him: That's not necessary.

Me: I must move along in this process. Will you stay or go? I need to work with the borrower. You may stay, but please let me put my attention on these loan documents because I do not have an interest in your instrument. I'll send it but we are already into this appointment for 20 min. I have others.

Him: I see no reason to stay. You just get that document to the right people.

Me: Sure thing.

Him...he gets up: Hey, I am sorry I busted your chops.

Me: Puzzled look...did you bust my chops? I thought I was just explaining to you that I work and take my direction from the title company which hired me, not from the city.
Him: Well, I was ...

Me: I understand. My late husband was a city manager and your job is stressful.

Him: Mean look.

I have decided I am going to start becoming active in local politics...attend city council meetings...volunteer for the incentive program--I have experience with CDBG funds! I am more educated than the average bear on how to be a thorn in the city's side and I have learned from the most annoying and most successful agitators as adjudged by my own husband's level of irritation.

As an aside, I love the smell of Napalm in the morning...or was it the nervous sweating of a hand-abusing bully at city hall? Now, could someone please hand me my fatigues and combat boots? I have a city employee that needs a mudhole stomped in his backside.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 8/27/05 3:54pm
Msg #62229

World Savings?

Was it a "World Savings" loan? They always state to attach an acknowledgment.

Reply by JRNotary on 8/26/05 5:48pm
Msg #62081

I always notarize the DOT. Attach your own to the back.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.