Notary Rotary
help
Notary Discussion History

help
Go Back to August, 2005 Index

Posted by lin on 8/4/05 1:56pm
Msg #56932

help

tell me if this is conflict of interest, my aunt and uncle are refinancing their house, i recommended a loan officer whom i work with and do signings for however, the deal was that I would do the signing when the time came, since they are my aunt and uncle and we have the same last name, is this considered conflict of interest.

Reply by Charm_AL on 8/4/05 2:35pm
Msg #56947

what state are you in? Each state has their own notary laws. All I know is that universally you cannot notarize anything that you have a financial interest in. Not sure about relatives, you need to check your own state laws.

Reply by lin on 8/4/05 2:36pm
Msg #56948

california

Reply by TitleGalCA on 8/4/05 2:39pm
Msg #56952

If it were my aunt and uncle, and I had NO financial interest in their home purchase, whatsoever, I would be comfortable in signing them (in fact, my feelings would be hurt if they didn't ask me).

Reply by LilyMD on 8/4/05 3:17pm
Msg #56965

I had a similar situation a while back. They were friends. I chose not to be involved because I didn't feel comfortable having that much of their financial information. I recommended another notary and they were not only pleased but seemed to appreciate it.

Reply by Jenny/CA on 8/4/05 3:23pm
Msg #56969

I am thinking, is it not financial or beneficial interest? It is probably harder to prove that there is no beneficial interest if one is giving referrals to a comapny that usually provides signing jobs for that person. IMO

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.