Notary Rotary
start a business
Notary Discussion History

start a business
Go Back to August, 2005 Index

Posted by asia on 8/5/05 3:58pm
Msg #57211

start a business

Can someone please explain the whole independent contractor for me since I am new in the field? Is this better if I get my business licience as to having my own business or just wait and do independent contractor. Thank you for your opinion and for helping me out.

Reply by Merry_CA on 8/5/05 4:09pm
Msg #57212

I just googled "independent contractor" and got twelve (12) pages of results.

Good Luck! ;)

Reply by Blueink_CA on 8/5/05 9:04pm
Msg #57263

An IC is just that, a person who is hired to perform a specific assignment. Companies use IC's because they don't have to worry about payroll taxes. It is up to you to report your income (and expenses) at tax time. I believe it's also a liability issue. If you get big (hire employees) you may want to incorporate to protect yourself. Also if you are running a store front business in a commercial area, you do need a business licence. Just starting out, I would recommend E&O Insurance. Good Luck!

Reply by PAW_Fl on 8/6/05 7:52am
Msg #57316

>>> ... if you are running a store front business in a commercial area, you do need a business licence, <<<

While typically a store-front business would need a business license, that is not the only requirement. Here (in FL), even if you run a home based business, such as a signing agent, with no store-front of commercial office, you still need a business license, called an "Occupational License". If you a strictly limiting your "practice" to notary work (not as a signing agent), then no license is needed. The state (at least my county) sees the signing agent business as a separate business than that of a Notary Public, and it is. A signing agent does more, charges differently and is paid as a contractor, whereas a Notary Public (unless employed by an employer), usually is paid as an incidental fee to the office.

Reply by Bonnie/FL on 8/6/05 8:52am
Msg #57326

Re: start a business for PAW

Thank you. I had no idea I needed an occupational license to be a signing agent. I know where to get one and I can bring my Notary Certificate but fo you know if there any other documentation I need to bring? And what ID category does Signing Agent fall into? I looked at the Florida site and it is not clear to me. Thank you.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 8/6/05 9:01am
Msg #57329

You don't need your notary commission since it's not notary work that is being licensed. Since my license is in my business name, I had to bring my business name registration certificate. But that was it. The SIC code that the county assigned was 7389 - Establishments primarily engaged in furnishing business services, not elsewhere classified, such as bondspersons, drafting services, lecture bureaus, notaries public, sign painting, speakers' bureaus, water softening services, and auctioneering services, on a commission or fee basis. Auctions of used cars and agricultural commodities, such as livestock and produce, are classified in Wholesale Trade.

Reply by Robert E (Bob) Rogers on 8/6/05 9:32am
Msg #57332

Paul...where do you find a list of the SIC codes? My County License has me as: 000726 Clerical/Office Service.

Reply by Robert E (Bob) Rogers on 8/6/05 10:04am
Msg #57343

Oooops! I think the number is using the last three digits of my zip code. I don't find any SIC on my license.

Reply by SarahBeth_CA on 8/6/05 11:14am
Msg #57366

asia, you need to check with your city. I am in the process of getting my biz licence. I didn't know I needed one. Niether my notary or signing agent classes mentioned there was any possibility of needing one. When I filed my commision with the county they didn't mention the possibility either. It was from reading the boards that I found out I should contact my city. I did and sure enough it's the city that requires it. If it weren't for these boards I would have found out the hard way.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 8/6/05 11:13am
Msg #57365

http://www.osha.gov/pls/imis/sicsearch.html

Reply by Bonnie/FL on 8/6/05 9:53pm
Msg #57429

Thank you PAW. I will look into this on Monday. I know my husband got his business license at the tax office but he needed tons of credentials to do so, so I wll take a ride down there on MOnday to check into it.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.