Notary Rotary
Anyone else have this issue and how did you deal with it
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to December, 2005 Index

Posted by Mike_NJ on 12/7/05 7:00pm
Msg #81039

Business has been rocking for us and I can't complain. My issue is now that we are so busy I can't do last minute add-on appointments. I need 24 hours now to book and it's hurting business in a way.

I lost 2/3rds of my business with a TC because most of the work is 1 day or less notice. My income level has grown, but I don't like to lose work from companies that have been with you from the start. Anyone else have this problem?

I have also notice more SS's calling with last minute deals, they use to give you a weeks notice, now your lucky if you have more then 5 hours.

Reply by cntrlcalntry on 12/7/05 7:09pm
Msg #81043

Don't have that problem yet but I do hope to get there soon!!!
Count your blessings!!!

Reply by TitleGalCA on 12/7/05 7:15pm
Msg #81044

Mike, for the life of me I just don't see this as a "problem".

Find a family member, train them as SA, get them their commission and your "problem" is solved.

Congratulation on a thriving business.

Reply by Mike_NJ on 12/7/05 8:55pm
Msg #81060

My wife does signings too, she works a full time job and helps when she can. I also have a few trusted notaries that I will sub work out when I can.

I can take the work and farm it out, but my rep is on the line and I won't risk what I built up to a notary who does not feel the same as I.

Its a problem I'm glad I have.. growing pains..

Reply by TitleGalCA on 12/7/05 10:31pm
Msg #81077

The "Family Member Plan"

Is a well-thought out one on my part. First - if I have an overflow of work and turn down signings...do I want to accomodate my client?

That's an important question. I've convinced my client that I'm the best of the west. I've convinced them that if they hire ME, they'll get service and accuracy and no worries.

So - I get the call and I'm not available - oh no! What is my client to do?? Give them over to another notary in my area that is just as inclined to convince my client they are as good as me? No way. I have to hand them over to a trusted source. There's no more trusted source than a member of my own family. Follow me here.

I've trained my family member. They know I have my area sold on ME. The alternative when I'm not available is to taken the second best thing...my offspring, my wife, my husband...someone trained by ME.

I won't, ever, refer to my fellow notaries in my area (with a few exceptions). What if they screw up? It's on me. What if they like my client....they'll go out of their way to show them that THEIR service is just as good as, or better than mine. This is not good, so I don't do it.

I wrote recently to a newbie who's already lost business to a sneaky friend who went behind her back and got their commission without even telling them. (My friend, you know who you are). Not good.

Besides, there's an aura and mistique generated by booking your signings with your favorite notary and knowing you "got here first". (supply and demand). And, if not booked soon enough....oh well, shame on you. The kingpin (notary) simply has a conversation with client that says, "oh my, I'm so sorry I was booked...." a smart marketing person will build this up to the enth degree.

This is where a great marketing person comes in, NOT a notary. This is a business! Get the basics down...then it's all about marketing and being self-employed.

Dam. Someone should hire me (or at least pay for my notes and ideas).

Reply by BrendaTx on 12/7/05 11:27pm
Msg #81094

Re: The "Family Member Plan"

**Someone should hire me (or at least pay for my notes and ideas). **

Yes, how right you are. What an ENTERPRISE you could have then.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 12/7/05 8:40pm
Msg #81054

Do some networking and find two or three persons that can take overflow. A family member is a good idea also.

since I don't know what your volume is, it's tough to make suggestions. I found that when I began doing appointments by when I actually got the docs -- first in first out, then I was able to squeeze in 1 or 2 more signings in a day.

Enjoy the problem while you have it. Sounds great!!

Reply by Joan Bergstrom on 12/8/05 12:05am
Msg #81097

There is no question that the business is changing

When I started (4 years ago) I had signings 7-10 days in advance and now if I have a signing the next day it's an exception.

A family member (husband and wife ) who can take the overflow signing is certainly the best choice; this way you accept almost all assignments and make the signings work.

I also recommend you advertise yourself as such as it is one of the best ways to catch a title/signing company's attention! companies love this kind of family business!

Reply by Anonymous on 12/8/05 8:40am
Msg #81119

I am experiencing the same thing more recently than ever. My good title cos. calling a few hours before signing. If I am not booked great, but most times I am or have plans for something else. I hate to loose the business but sorry 24 hours notice is not a big deal. Most times the last minute deals are messed up all ways round anyway. I think mostly it is that something fell through the cracks like an expireing committment or just desperate LO's. I had one title co tell me that a new lender was testing them. Give me a break. Test this, no I am not available.

Reply by SSEmobile on 12/8/05 10:32am
Msg #81133

> I had one title co tell me that a new lender was testing them.

It would be best, then, to give the lender som feedback, even if it's feedback through the TC from you.

Quality is our mandate. Production is our goal.

If we can't make the production you want and still keep up the mandated quality, do you still want to push the envelope on production?

I have a feeling that, if asked this question, the lender may decide that the test was a success as it showed them where they may NOT want to go.

Reply by Anand/NJ on 12/8/05 1:36pm
Msg #81189

Mike I'm open to gaining more evening signings along with Saturdays. Email me if you have any questions.

Reply by JDB and Associates Wade on 12/8/05 6:12pm
Msg #81263

We too have grown tremendously over the last three months. The entire family is involved. We have taken on training a few new notaries in our area; just skeptical about them doing the job right.

It's one thing to do it yourself because you have integrity and high regard to service your clients correctly. You can train and train and train, but if your gut tells you that it's just a paycheck to that notary, then that's the service you'll get.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.