Notary Rotary
Cockroaches and signings...
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to December, 2005 Index

Posted by Jenny_CA on 12/2/05 2:24am
Msg #79761

I remember reading the posts during the summer regarding dogs, cats and roaches and I've had a few experiences at signings with roaches. My question for those of you that have experienced signings at roach infested houses is this: Do you pretend not to see them on the table, especially when it looks like they are going to crawl in between the pages of the journal while the borrower is signing it?

Reply by christiSocal on 12/2/05 2:39am
Msg #79762

ewwwww

How did you keep from screaming and running out? But that does make me think, how do we keep little visitors from coming home with us? Is there any cologne (or whatever) that critters run from?

Reply by Jenny_CA on 12/2/05 2:54am
Msg #79763

Re: ewwwww

I've seen them crawling up and down the walls, the ceiling, the floors, furniture,under the glass table and so forth. I am not talking 3-5 here and there , no, I means tons. Little ones and those giant field ones. I did this signing two days ago and I keep checking around my house to see if anything cam with me inside my attache-on-wheels ( lots of room for them to hide in). But I couldn't stand seeing the little coackroach going back and forth under the flap of my journal and I had four not so quick signers and they would just see the roach there and wouldn't move it out the way or kill it! Meanwhile there were other ones crawling about but that one had my focus.

I couldn't help myself but as soon as the last person signed the journal I practically snatched it off the table. The other bad thing. I have asthma and am very sensitive to scents/odors and I could smell the roach powder before I even saw it next to the sofa.

Reply by Jenny_CA on 12/2/05 2:59am
Msg #79764

Re: (sp) came...not cam n/m

Reply by christiSocal on 12/2/05 3:32am
Msg #79765

I can't understand how they could see the things

crawling around and just ignore them. If they had powder out, they had to realize bugs aren't good! If I lived in that kind of situation I would at least have the notary meet me at a restaurant. Anyway, heres hoping you'll have no problems, physical or crawling, from the signing. Smiley

Reply by SLP_VA on 12/2/05 7:13am
Msg #79772

Re: I can't understand how they could see the things

That is disgusting. How can a person have roaches crawling around like that? Ewww..makes my skin crawl just thinking about it. Sorry you had to endure that. I haven't had the experiance yet and not sure how I would react to it. All I've endured were lots and lots of cats, which of course, I could handle, but roaches?? I could see if it was 1 or 2, but to have them infested at the home?

Reply by eXpedN_TX on 12/2/05 9:03am
Msg #79795

Ok, so this is a bit embarrassing, but one time I was at a borrower's house and they had the sweetest cats. The house wasn't smelly, but you could see they were infested with fleas. It was so bad that it looked like the fur on their faces were moving around when they just sat there watching what was going on. Since I have pets of my own and was afraid that I would bring fleas in the house, I undressed in my garage before I entered my house and ran up the stairs to the shower. I left my clothes outside over night and had sprayed them with flea spray. I think because the infestation was so bad it really creeped me out...hence, the unusual behavior. Now I keep a robe in the garage just in case it ever happens again. One of my cats is allergic to fleas, her eye's swell up, so I have to take extra precautions.

Reply by Bonnie_CO on 12/2/05 9:41am
Msg #79812

I knew a really sweet old lady at one time. Loved visiting with her, but I never took my purse or anything else in the house that would be going home with me that roaches could hide in. Her daughter did the cooking etc for her and lived in the house with her. One day I was there while the dau was cooking dinner, the roaches were like the one's in the start of this thread, and they were falling into the cooking food, neither woman seemed to notice or care, they wouldn't even dig them out of the pot. It was soooooo GROSS! Needless to say, I declined the invite to dinner. YUCK! I asked one time why the didn't get an exterminator out, they claimed it did no good anyway so why waste money! (??????) I guess some folks can live like that!

Reply by NM_CO on 12/2/05 9:58am
Msg #79817

That is so disgusting, you poor thing! What did you end up doing? For a borrower to subject the regular public in their home with things like that shocks me. Don't they think that you could possibly take them home WITH YOU? JEEZ!

Recently I had a signing and just as we were almost done the guy decided to tell me about his terminal illness; chronic herpes and syphillis(sp). I about croaked. I came home and showered. I was wondering the whole time what those sores were on his face.

Reply by TitleGalCA on 12/2/05 10:45am
Msg #79837

This whole thread has made me nauseous. Who wants my Friday Chile Relleno breakfast burrito?? Its free (and un-infested).

Reply by Charles_Ca on 12/2/05 10:48am
Msg #79840

That's when I pull out my double barrelled, sawed off

shotgun and blow the little suckers away. Then I casually blow the smoke off the ends of the barrles and put the gun away. You should see the looks on the faces of the borrowers!Smiley

Reply by srnotary_CA on 12/2/05 10:51am
Msg #79843

Re: That's when I pull out my double barrelled, sawed off

That is so gross. I would love to see the look on the faces of the borrowers when you pull out your shotgun. THat is too funny.

Reply by Bonnie_CO on 12/2/05 10:56am
Msg #79845

Charles,
That is too funny! LOL

Reply by Art_MD on 12/2/05 11:17am
Msg #79856

That sawed off shotgun is illegal. My 358 Cassull loaded with bird shot is legal and works well.
Or, if you're going to go illegal, take a Franchi SPAS-15 (or a glock 18)

Art

Reply by Charles_Ca on 12/2/05 11:27am
Msg #79863

Actually just pulling out a can of Raid would make my day

I live in an area where the remains of the '60s Hippie movement are still very much alive and well. I know people here who consider roaches on a par with themsleves and would go into paroxyisms at the thought of someone harming one of the little beasts. But as far as illegal destructive weapons goes Auction Arms recently had a Russian howitzer up for sale to holders of Class III FFL: now that would trump my double anyday!

Reply by Art_MD on 12/2/05 11:48am
Msg #79869

Re: Actually just pulling out a can of Raid would make my day

Since my Franchi 15 and glock 18 require a class III, I might as well go all the way.. Was it an 88MM or a 120MM ??

Art

Reply by Charles_Ca on 12/2/05 11:53am
Msg #79873

It was just a little tyke, 88mm, it sure would look cute

behind my Jeep with its M60 Smiley

Reply by Art_MD on 12/2/05 11:55am
Msg #79875

Re: It was just a little tyke, 88mm, it sure would look cute

Still, with the right shells, empty the shell, put in the paperwork, and if it's within 3 miles you should be able to get the docs to (or thru) their front door quickly.

Art

Reply by SarahBeth_CA on 12/2/05 11:54am
Msg #79874

Re: Actually just pulling out a can of Raid would make my da

Maybe you should carry gas masks for yourself and the borrowers and gas the critters. I don't know how I would handle that other than keeping my brief case shut. And doing the garage strip down also. Could a daisy cutter be made smaller and modified to do the job before going in?

Reply by Art_MD on 12/2/05 11:57am
Msg #79877

A daisy cutter is too big, would bother the neighbors (if within 2 miles) --- use a bouncing betty.

Art

Reply by SarahBeth_CA on 12/2/05 12:07pm
Msg #79883

I don't know, it's still an option. The first summer we lived here our neighborhood had a roach problem. Fortunately our contract included a few exterminations, one of which was done after we saw the 3rd roach. I found out a week later that the kids school had the exterminators out and they put up a notice that there was an issue in the whole area. And don't you want to know why; because some people didn't get the exterminators out and the problem spread. Recently there has been a nieghborhood mice issue. Our cat and the nieghbors cat are great mousers. Between them and the traps we have it under control.

Reply by Charles_Ca on 12/2/05 12:29pm
Msg #79897

ROTFLMAO

A miniature daisy cutter, now that is cute. I laughed until tears cane to my eyes. Actually a miniature neutron bomb since it only kills the critters and leaves everything else untouched. The part I like would be the borowers reaction to the "compleat" notarya, prepared for anything. Look up in the sky its a bird, its a plane, no its supernotary. Able to leap tall building in a single bound, faster than a bullet, stronger than a locomotive, able to bend SS to her will. Now that is a mental picture worth framing

Reply by SarahBeth_CA on 12/2/05 1:19pm
Msg #79916

Re: ROTFLMAO

Charles, when I saw the daisy cutter on the news for the first time all I could think was DANG NOW THAT'S A BOMB. All it needs is a huge boom box strapped to it blarring "Nowhere to run to baby, nowhere to hide"; then the dude outside on lookout duty looking to the sky at the sound of the music saying "Oh crap".

Reply by Charles_Ca on 12/2/05 6:24pm
Msg #80012

Re: ROTFLMAO, I just had to revisit this:

Holy Jihad SarahBeth, from your description I could just see some poor b**t**d standing guard duty in those God-forsaken hills of Afghanistan in his burka, turban, and sandals looking up at the sound of the boom-box and package headed his way. Yes I bet he would be saying "Oh crap!!!!" I loved the imagery of it.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.