Notary Rotary
Cold Feet
Notary Discussion History

Cold Feet
Go Back to December, 2005 Index

Posted by Anonymous on 12/22/05 2:47pm
Msg #84166

Cold Feet

I passed my certification exam for loan signing and I still havent gotten started. I've witnessed two signings watching for important details and I think I have it down. When it comes to the general explanation of documents I still don't really understand what is what. I guess my fear is that the home owner will ask a question that I won't know more than once and I don't want to be an annoying signing agent calling up the loan officer every time there is a question I don't know. I'm scared to start out because I don't want to be one of those people you guys talk about in the forum. Can anyone offer me advice?

Reply by Jersey_Boy on 12/22/05 2:52pm
Msg #84167

My first suggestion is to not post as anon.... this gets you nowhere on this board.
You don't have to identify who you are, but give yourself a handle and use your state name so other posters can identify where you're from.

Reply by AudreyCA on 12/22/05 2:58pm
Msg #84169

Thanks for the tip.

Reply by Jersey_Boy on 12/22/05 3:07pm
Msg #84171

Welcome AudreyCA....

There is only one way to get over cold feet (besides really warm socks).

Get out there and do it. The classes can't teach you everything. It comes with experience, the more loans you sign, the more experience you have, the more comfortable you will be.

Make sure you know the CA notary laws inside and out... and GOOD LUCK!!!!

Reply by AudreyCA on 12/22/05 3:11pm
Msg #84174

Re: Welcome AudreyCA....

Thank you Jersey_Boy.

Reply by LilyMD on 12/22/05 3:11pm
Msg #84175

Audrey, when I first began, I didn't have the training and certification you've had. I had to just bite the bullet and go for it. In time, all of the experience came. I was able to put aside a little more of "my jitters" with each signing. I don't even think about those times so long ago anymore. Soon this will be you.
Good Luck.

Reply by Merry_CA on 12/22/05 3:22pm
Msg #84178

Welcome Audrey!... You will be fine. Just remember that FIRST you are a Notary Public commissioned be the State of CA and bound by all the rules that CA notaries must follow. Feeling comfortable with the loan documents will come with experience and is not nearly as important as knowing what a CA notary can and cannot do. My two cents! Good luck to you!

Reply by BetsyMI on 12/22/05 3:30pm
Msg #84179

I remember feeling the same way. But I have learned so much from this forum, which you will too, and which will help you understand "what is what".

I had a certification manual that I got from the NNA and it had pictures of all the forms, with explanations of what they were, and that helped me immensely.

I still learn daily from this forum, though. So keep reading. Use the orange Search button when you have a specific question to see if it's already been asked here. For instance, type in TIL, HUD, HELOC, etc. and you'll find tons of fascinating reading.

You don't have to know everything so don't be afraid of the borrower's questions. Explain that you are there to witness their signatures, and that if they have specific questions about their loan you'll have them call their loan officer. Just be sure you give attention to detail so that anything that does need a signature gets a signature.

Good luck!

Reply by DellaCa on 12/22/05 4:31pm
Msg #84193

I was sacred to death , I thought my insides would shake something loose. Your where everyone is when they start. Try to remember this The borrowers do not know your new at it!
I just kept this in mind and remembered to breath,everything went fine and like others have said the nerves will settle.Welcome and good luck. Where are you located?

Reply by MaggieMae_CA on 12/22/05 5:42pm
Msg #84204

Betsy... Great advice!

"Explain that you are there to witness their signatures, and that if they have specific questions about their loan you'll have them call their loan officer."

I agree 100%. When questions about the docs come up as to how they should be completed, call the escrow/title processor/closer. If you call with an intelligent question, get it answered and turn in the documents complete they'll love you and call you again.

Believe me. They would rather have you call with your question and have the documents correct rather than fix things after the fact.

Reply by MABrescia on 12/22/05 7:14pm
Msg #84228

I too remember those days (newbie) and often I still feel new to the field. I don't ever go into a signing thinking "I know it all" and I will always be armed with a bunch of contacts, should I run into any situation that I feel needs better explanation.

You don’t necessarily need to know it "all". Just know where to get the info should it be asked. Knowing your resources eh?

You will do fine, dab your feet with a simple pool refinance or something. make a few stamps with some local neighbors and get familiar (sorry for bad spelling) with your penmanship and your stamp and those jurat’s! After a bit they will seem very repetitive to you.

Their is a great deal to learn about the business, however, most of it is not really the papers or how to handle the borrower's ( I FIND THAT TO BE THE BEST / MOST FUN PART!) Tis all the other stuff you need to be successful in your business. Time you will see.

BEST OF LUCK TO YOU HUN, and if I can help you at all just drop an email from my link. Happy Holiday's and please be safe.

:Your fellow closing agents Smiley

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.