Notary Rotary
E-DOC JUST NOT WORTH IT!!
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to December, 2005 Index

Posted by GL/CA on 12/8/05 9:32pm
Msg #81314

I have been doing signings with a mortgage co. They pay me $185.00+ for very simple type loan docs. I just now got a call from a ss and I agreed to do a loan doc signing for them. They will pay me $75.00 plus $25.00 for edocs, 2 copies, 216 pages total. I started printing at approx 6:25pm still not all printed. At page 71. 7:30pm. I have decided after this that edoc's is just not worth the time and effort. Not for $25.00. Anyone out there feel the same?
Thanks in advance

Reply by Becca_FL on 12/8/05 9:45pm
Msg #81320

Re: Sometimes

I do $25 edocs for just two SS that I have been working with for years. The two particular SSs have not lowered my fees since I started and I in turn have not raised my fees for them. Frankly, I enjoy working with them as they are old friends who have been with me since my embryo days.

Whith that said, $25, IMO, is way low for edocs.

Reply by Becca_FL on 12/8/05 9:45pm
Msg #81321

Re: Sometimes

I do $25 edocs for just two SS that I have been working with for years. The two particular SSs have not lowered my fees since I started and I in turn have not raised my fees for them. Frankly, I enjoy working with them as they are old friends who have been with me since my embryo (sp)days.

Whith that said, $25, IMO, is way low for edocs.

Reply by Brad_Ca on 12/8/05 9:45pm
Msg #81322

What type of printer do you have? Does it have a pcl-6 driver? No way should should it ever take that long to print with a laser printer.

Reply by Becca_FL on 12/8/05 9:53pm
Msg #81326

I have PCL 6 and find some image docs DO take that long. Have you printed from LFC lately?

Reply by Brad_Ca on 12/8/05 10:02pm
Msg #81328

You might want to check out #73318

Reply by Becca_FL on 12/8/05 10:12pm
Msg #81329

Thanks Brad. I'll try a re-install. However, Tuesday I tried to re-install Adobe 7.0.5 again and had the same issues that I had the first time I installed the .5 update. Again, I went back to Adobe 6.0 and things are back to normal. For what ever reason, updats and my system don't get along. It's probably operator error. Smiley

Reply by Brad_Ca on 12/8/05 10:52pm
Msg #81337

You are welcome. Check out Glenn's post below. This is also great information.

Reply by GL/CA on 12/8/05 11:40pm
Msg #81345

Thank you very much. I will be calling tech support in the morning. Boy u people are life safers.

Reply by Anonymous on 12/9/05 1:13am
Msg #81356

Where do you get e-docs? Any recommendations?

Reply by Lee/AR on 12/8/05 10:02pm
Msg #81327

This might help..

Go into your printer settings & choose the lowest dpi available. It doesn't noticeably affect the quality of the printing, but does speed things up considerably. But, if they were scanned as images...it might not help at all. An hour for 71 paqes is really, really bad, tho'. And $25 is not enough money, even if it went faster. Paper & ink cartridges are not free and what's your time worth?

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 12/8/05 10:47pm
Msg #81336

To know why you printing is so slow, I would have to have your computer infront of me. I printed LfC docs two sets in about 10 minutes the other day off of my old computer which is a p2 266. So there is something in your settings that is slowing things down. This computer is old, but I also have 1 gig of ram, some of which I use as a buffer to the printer. I charge 35 dollars (The range I have seen is 25-50 dollars for edocs) extra for edocs and I have figured over the course of a year, including the price of the printer and all consumables, it costs me about 3 cents per page. So that would mean 6 dollars for 200 pages. The rest is profit.

For everyone that is upgrading to Adobe 7, uninstall your old Adobe programs first and re-boot your computer before you try to download the latest and greatest Adobe. Also, some of you should only go to Adobe 6. It has most of the features of 7, including separting the pages by size and will run much faster on an old computer like my old desktop

Edocs are worth it. I am disapointed when the signings are not edocs.

Reply by Nd_WA on 12/8/05 11:45pm
Msg #81347

Couple things I noticed personally and from complaint of others lately about slow printing after upgrading to Adobe 7.0.5.

1. Seems like somehow Adobe 705 is taking up too much memory to process a print job. Even at 1GB of ram my processor was running so hot I can hear the heat sink fan wheeze at times, and 30 minutes to print a set of doc is unacceptable to me.

2. I tried helping an SA resolve a slow print (1.5hr for 1 set) problem by phone the other day only to find he has a P3-650 with 256MB (pc133) ram. This lead me to believe that PDF705 is a memory sucking monster since it also gave me problem with my comp being a P4-3.4HT and 1GB (DDR2-533).

Reply by Ginger Lee on 12/8/05 11:54pm
Msg #81349

Sorry but I just don't speak Japanesse. hehehehe. No really computer printer, driver stuff is just so foreign to me. I wish I knew more. Thanks for the info.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 12/9/05 12:44am
Msg #81353

Adobe won't tell you this but you need at least a P4

and windows xp for Adobe 7 to run properly. Also 512mb ram. If you don't have that, then use Adobe 6.

Also, if you have the above and it still isn't working correctly, then uninstall whatever adobe programs you have on your computer. Reboot then download and install again. If you just install Adobe 7 over Adobe6, then it will just install it in another directory, but it will cause problems in the windows registry. Also, you need to keep whatever windows version you have updated on the windows web site. There is no windows support for windows 95 and nt any longer.

There are those that will tell you you don't need to bother, but when I got this advice from a computer geek that is older than God, followed it, I have no problems since.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 12/9/05 8:12am
Msg #81381

Re: Adobe won't tell you this but you need at least a P4

... nd windows xp for Adobe 7 to run properly. Also 512mb ram. If you don't have that, then use Adobe 6. <<<

Horse pucky. Smiley I'm running 7.0.5 on Windows 2K, on a P3-733 with absolutely no problems. Two offices that I work with also is running 7.0.5 on Win2K P3 systems and with a Novell network. The 7.0.5 version is extremely fast and reliable in my book.

I do fully support and recommend that when installing a new version of the Reader that you must uninstall the old version first, reboot and then install the new version. Not only helps in keeping the registry clean, but also removes any memory resident and rogue DLL's.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 12/9/05 8:00am
Msg #81380

There is something else going on. I am on a P3-730Mhz processor with 256Mb of RAM and have no problems using Adobe Reader 7.0.5. Just for the record, Adobe Reader 7.0.5 uses approximately 25 Mb of memory to run (not counting the document space). Compare this to 40-50Mb of memory required for a browser. The problem doesn't lie totally within the Reader, but with in the environment in which the Reader runs and the document the Reader is reading.

Sorry, Andy, I just don't think that the Reader is the "memory sucking monster" you make it out to be. For example, Microsoft Word 2000 takes at minimum, just under 25K to load and run, again, not counting the document space.

Therefore, in trying to resolve issues with an application, one needs to look at the big picture as well, including all the environmental issues. This is not to say there are incompatibilities, as there most certainly is and every installation is unique in that regard. Working through all those issues is extremely difficult, if not impossible, from a distance and over a telephone. Sometimes, there is just no way to resolve the incompatibilities, and alternates must be employed. But that's the life in the Microsoft zone.

Reply by O/CNotary on 12/8/05 10:56pm
Msg #81339

GL, where in CA are you located?

Reply by GL/CA on 12/8/05 11:37pm
Msg #81344

Re: GL, where in CA are you located?

Fresno. Cartridge, paper, time. Costly and 2 hours before signing. No way. Unless I come up with faster print I will not do edocs unless I'm desperate. Thank you all for your responses.

Reply by Brad_Ca on 12/9/05 12:29am
Msg #81352

Ginger I hope that tech support can help. You might want to re-consider on doing e-docs. More and more companies are only doing e-docs. You certainly do not want to miss out .
Good luck to you.

Reply by GL/CA on 12/9/05 9:36am
Msg #81409

Brad and others. Thank you for your advice. I will be on the phone to HP tech support. I love a challenge. I really want this to work. I love this job, so I will keep trying with my printer issues. Maybe I'll have to call out a computer geek. This printer stuff is foreign to me. Anyway I'll keep trying. Luv u guys.

Reply by Calnotary on 12/9/05 10:36am
Msg #81421

If you dont do e docs, the notaries around you will thank you for their extra jobs.

Reply by SSEmobile on 12/9/05 11:43am
Msg #81443

I have to agree with Calnotary Ginger, and as I'm in California (but I don't think your area) that takes some will power to not just walk away saying "thank you" to myself! <grin>

Seriously, I believe you should reconsider. To save the cost of shipping hard copy packages twice (once to you, once again to return to them) SSs will most likely go ALL to eDOCs. Soon.

I have an Okidata B4100 digital laser. Figuring drum wear, toner, I can print for about 1/2 a penny a page. I did one last month that was 524 pages (!!!!!), 12 minutes of print time for one copy, 25minutes for the entire job with BO copy.

Do the math:

524 page for both copies, $2.62 plus $3.68 for a ream of paper $6.30 cost.

$35 charged, - $6.30 = $28.70 profit.

But the big difference?

$65 for the first loan, $45 for the second, $25 travel and $28.70 for eDOCs =

$163.70 for a 2 hour job I would have NEVER been assigned if I did not do eDOCs.

Prettyy clear that $179 printer was a good investment ............. :o]

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.