Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Fingerprinting certification - is it worth it?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to December, 2005 Index

Posted by rdowns_in_CA on 12/3/05 9:59am
Msg #80113

I've done my own research, as well as the search thing on this site, and didn't really find a good answer to this question. I notice that many of you answered yes to the fingerprinting question in your profiles. How often do you provide that service? I know where to go and how to get the certification in California. I'm trying to figure out if it's worth my time to get it, as an add-on to my Notary and SA services. Has anyone found it useful?

Reply by BP/WV on 12/3/05 10:41am
Msg #80124

Wow, that blows my mind.. you have to be certified for everything in California. I do fingerprinting here in WV. Its not required, but its that little added protection. I never had to take a certification class or test. My ex was a CJIS fingerprinting tech and showed me the proper way to get a print.

Reply by BP/WV on 12/3/05 10:43am
Msg #80125

oops, correction, I meant CJIS 'latent' tech.

Reply by Brad_Ca on 12/3/05 10:45am
Msg #80126

Try this link: http://caag.state.ca.us/ (This is for the State of California- Office of the Attorney General)

Click on Fingerprint Rolling Certification, scroll down to the bottom of the page and you will see the Application for Certification.

It is up to you. Most Governmment Agencies (DOJ & FBI) now want Livescan fingerprints only.
It some instances, they have turned down the old cards.

Reply by rdowns_in_CA on 12/3/05 10:55am
Msg #80129

Thanks, Brad. I've also seen the shift toward LiveScan fingerprinting, which is one of the main reasons I'm questioning the value of obtaining the cert. In my insurance brokerage, we used to be required to get fingerprint cards for many nonresident license applications. I'm insurance licensed in 25 states, so I got pretty familiar with this routine. Over the last few years, almost all states have begun accepting online applications, based on verification of a valid home state license. Fingerprints are usually not required, these days.

I'm just wondering if most notaries use their fingerprinting capabilities on a regular enough basis, or if it adds enough value to their practice to make it worthwhile to obtain the cert.

Reply by Brad_Ca on 12/3/05 11:01am
Msg #80130

Your welcome Ron. I read the A.G. link just a few minutes ago, and it appears that they are now sending the old cards back un-processed. It does not sound like it is worth it unless you have the funds to purchase the Livescan machine and have a lot of people coming through tp pay for it.

Reply by rdowns_in_CA on 12/3/05 10:48am
Msg #80127

Yep, certification is required in CA, but appears ridiculously easy to get. It's a matter of reading a 13-page pamphlet, obtaining a notarization affirming that you've read it, and sending in a basic application with fingerprints and $81 in fees. A background investigation is done, then you're in, or so it appears. Here's the link for info: http://ag.ca.gov/fingerprints/finger_cert.htm

Reply by Anonymous on 12/4/05 9:59pm
Msg #80297

Don't know if fingerprinting cert is worth it, but a grammar check on your profile is -- for sure (see last sentence, makes no sense)

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.