Notary Rotary
Gotta love it!
Notary Discussion History

Gotta love it!
Go Back to December, 2005 Index

Posted by PJM/MI on 12/15/05 7:00am
Msg #82676

Gotta love it!

Dontcha just love those borrowers who think you're at their house for a "social" visit? Or how 'bout they dink around for the first 15 minutes doing whatever they please..like they are the only closing we have for the day.
I had to politely tell Mrs. borrower the other day that we need to proceed with the closing, or I will be late for the next 2. She was so surprised that I had other closings! (She was playing with her baby on the floor).
I guess when I confirm the closing with the borrower, I will somehow let them know that they aren't my only appointment. Any suggestions on this one?

Reply by LisaWI on 12/15/05 7:44am
Msg #82683

Yes, yes, yes. Oh, how true!! I tell the borrowers when I call about how long the appointment should last, and if I have other closings after theirs. That usually helps to set the pace.

Reply by Charm_AL on 12/15/05 9:27am
Msg #82716

I tell them during the confirmation call that I'm an independent loan closer, then I may say something along the lines of..."your scheduled closing is at 4pm, it shouldn't take longer than about 40 minutes or so, is that good for you?" Of course the time varies with different types of pkgs.
I always take control after arriving by introducing myself and handling paperwork and giving them pens after they lead me to the signing location (which, I always hope is a bare table Smiley) This seems to work best to get their attention right away. The only thing that trips me up is when they take a phone call during the signing.

Reply by CarolynCO on 12/15/05 9:34am
Msg #82722

*I always hope is a bare table*

I used to always think this, but Monday night with my assembly line four purchases, trying to beat the FedEx truck heading for the airport, and just under two reams of paper, the floor worked mighty nice.

Reply by Charm_AL on 12/15/05 9:42am
Msg #82727

Yep, Carolyn, that was a feat for the memory book!

Reply by eXpedN_TX on 12/15/05 9:56am
Msg #82735

I usually take my cell phone out in front of them and then say, let me set this to no ring so we won't be disturbed. Then I set it to my right for them to see. Hopefully they will get the hint. It is important to me that they don't feel rushed through the signing, but to also keep things moving, when they have a question I can't answer, I hand them a blank piece of paper and tell them to write their questions down so they can call the TC the next day or before the RTC ends. It helps them to focus on moving on than to dwell on a page they were concerned about 50 pages back. I've had borrowers praise me for this. Always makes me feel good that they are happy with my service and I think it makes the SS's and TC's look good too.

Reply by Charm_AL on 12/15/05 10:23am
Msg #82745

Good idea Melissa, however, I don't turn off my phone and would have lost lots of business had I. Your bwrs would also be impressed if you gave them their paperwork in a simple manilla folder with their name on it and the TC name and number on the inside flap, then have them write questions on the inside flap under the LO's name while reminding them of the RTC. I do this all the time and it makes the process smooth.
Of course it's set off to the side so they don't follow along with their copies....been there done that! It ain't pretty!

Reply by eXpedN_TX on 12/15/05 10:53am
Msg #82750

Great idea Charm. I always show them that I have their pile of copies and that they can have them at the end, so it would be hard to have them write on the flap. I am going to start adding easy contact info to the lender as you stated. That's a nice touch.

Reply by BrendaTx on 12/15/05 2:16pm
Msg #82804

Great tips you guys. thanks n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.