Has anyone else had this trouble?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to December, 2005 Index

Posted by Laura Upton on 12/29/05 4:01pm
Msg #85097

Hello all,
I am writing to ask any of you if you have had this trouble. I am now being requested for the THIRD time to go to the same borrowers house to have them resign a mortgage; for a third time due to a 'print' issue. Now, I have not had any problems at all with any one else regarding print issues. I have DSL, dual tray paper, the printer handles all the bells and whistles that are required to be in this business. Apparently the 'font' is too small. I use adobe acrobat 7.0; and have never had a problem. The SECOND set of documents i paid the UPS shipping to send back to the LO; as an act of good faith and because its a title company and I still wanted them to call me for future signings.

Now they are sending me a THIRD set, via UPS, I have to contact the borrowers AGAIN, drive 35 miles one way; to get them to sign something they have already signed TWICE. I am a bit frustrated and am wondering how some of you more experienced notaries handle this kind of a situation. I do not believe that this is a 'print' issue; i think its LO issue; but hey i could be wrong. I have worked with this company for about 9 months now, have NEVER had a problem with any of their other signings; or them paying me....and because its a title company i am now thinking i am going to be blackballed by them due to something that is not my fault. Has anyone else had this problem and how do you handle it? I dont know if i am going to work for this company again, even if they were to call me again. sigh. thanks, laura

Reply by Laura Upton on 12/29/05 4:04pm
Msg #85098

Re: Has anyone else had this trouble? part 2

I forgot to mention the second time they were sent to me, the issue was that there wasnt a 1 inch margin at the top of the paper and it wouldnt be accepted by the county. Again, i have never had this problem before and i have done about 80 signings this year; so i do not understand how this is my fault.

please dont blast me. thanks, laura

Reply by Danny_FL on 12/29/05 4:24pm
Msg #85102

May want to inform us as to what state your working. Not sure about the issues, but I would be charging them full fees on every trip. You have done work for them before using the same print system and nothing in your present county has changed. Not to mention, none of the previous DoT/Morts you have done have been kicked back by the county...

Sounds to me like they screwed up and they are trying to make you the patsy for it.

**shrugs**

Just my opinion based on you info.

Danny

Reply by Laura Upton on 12/29/05 5:22pm
Msg #85111

I live and work as a notary in NH. and yes, i am agreeing with you. i just dont get it. sigh. thanks Danny. laura

Reply by Renee Kovacs on 12/29/05 4:53pm
Msg #85108

I always look at the mortgage for this very issue - what I think happens (and I'm no computer wiz by any stretch of the imagination) is that the docs get scanned by title company, and that makes them a picture, an image, not a text file. When you print, you have to watch all the print settings when you print. I'm sure Paul or someone with computer skills can fill in the details on this.

Once you know for certain, by heart, what you need to have mtg/DOT record - just check your first print. If the font is too small (in MI we need 10 pt., for example) or your margins aren't compliant - I have found, personally, that taking that same doc and printing it on legal size makes it come out perfect. Don't ask me how or why, I just have had that work.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 12/29/05 5:08pm
Msg #85110

If the docs are scanned as images, which seems to be more and more the case, there is absolutely nothing you can do about the text placement on the page. It is fixed when it is scanned, just like when they scan all the document sideways, the only thing you can do is rotate the *image*. The only control (assuming a PDF file) is where the scanned image is placed on the paper, and whether or not it is shrunk to fit in the printer margins and/or paper size.

Now, if the docs are scanned as text (assuming again a PDF file), then you do have control over the printing of the documents. Same with some of the print utilities, such as Swiftview.

So, you really need to pay close attention to your printer settings when printing documents, whether scanned as images or not.

Reply by Laura Upton on 12/29/05 5:24pm
Msg #85112

thank you. i will check it out and see if its a scanned document or if it was scanned as text. how do i figure that out? do i ask them?

Reply by PAW_Fl on 12/29/05 5:42pm
Msg #85116

If it's a PDF file, open it up in your reader and do a search for a keyword, like MORTGAGE. If it can't find it and you can see the word on the screen, it's an image file.

Reply by Laura Upton on 12/29/05 5:24pm
Msg #85113

thanks. i had printed it out on legal size paper, but apparently it still is an issue. thanks for your input. laura

Reply by patricia on 12/29/05 6:11pm
Msg #85119

this may help, something like this happened to me, when you download the documents and go to print prompt, you must select the option " choose paper source by PDF page size"
dont know what this is about but it worked like a charm, documents printed out in much larger
size.

Reply by SSEmobile on 12/29/05 7:03pm
Msg #85129

The replies that mention this could be a scan are probably the issue.

A scan of a document, done without the proper borders, will NEVER have the proper borders printing in PDF form, there's simply no way to do it. PDF files are "print" files, not documents.

To tell if it's text or a pic, click on the "Text Capture" "T" in the menu bar and attempt to capture some of the test. If it its text, it will highlight the area of the text and allow you to "Ctrl / C" to copy it to the Windows clipboard, and "Ctrl / P" to paste it to a text program file that is open.

If there is no highlight, try the "Graphics Select" tool, which is a cross mouse cursor you can drag around a section of a picture holding down the left button, release it when you have a rectangle "captured", it will leave a dotted retangular lined box. This you can also copy and past to a graphics accepting program if it works.

Which ever you can do will tell you what the DOC is.

By the way, I have had DOCs lost by both title companies and SS offices after they arrive from my shipment. Back track the shipment and see who signed for the package, ask them what the issue is.

Or just make sure they are telling you the truth about the cause of the "problem". Something certainly sounds fishy about three times ..........

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 12/29/05 7:33pm
Msg #85140

Hi, Laura.

Sorry you are having all this trouble. Have you compared each set of documents to the other to see if any of the figures changed? Also, it would seem to me if the DOT to be filed with the county was the issue, would they not just have you resign that one document instead of the whole package? Just for fun, call the county recorder and see what the requirments for recording are. My county the printing needs to be permanent and clear and on letter size paper. Several months ago, my dual tray printer died and I had to print a loan on my single tray. On the DOT, I used my paper cutter to get it to the right size and everything was fine. Sure is funny that you have never had this problem before.
I smell plenty of unreferigerated fish here.

Good Luck.

Reply by christiSocal on 12/30/05 12:07am
Msg #85219

This may be something you all know and do already (I am not a computer whiz, my kids tell me how to do things Smiley ) But just in case- when you click on file to print, try going to the "page setup" it'll say paper size- try putting it to legal, then printing. Mine automatically goes to letter size. I wish I could get it to stay until I want it to change! Hope that works.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 12/30/05 8:25am
Msg #85255

Christi - To "permanently" change the default tray, you need to change the "Printing Preferences" for the printer. You can do that by going to the Printers option from Control Panel (or Start -> Settings -> Printers) and right-clicking on the printer. Then find the default printing preferences and change them to default to the legal size, if that's what you want.

Reply by christiSocal on 12/30/05 9:28pm
Msg #85371

Thanks Paw, I can change it back when I need to, right?

I do tend to need the legal more often than the letter. Did I detect a reservation in your tone? Would it brother anything else that I need to think about first? BTW Thank you for all your help, there's alot of us out here that really apprecate it!

Reply by PAW_Fl on 12/30/05 10:15pm
Msg #85375

Re: Thanks Paw, I can change it back when I need to, right?

No reservations. If you print more to legal than letter, it makes sense to have the printer set to legal by default. Most applications should properly select the correct tray anyway, it's just the ones that don't make it frustrating.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.