Notary Rotary
Help please...what would you do?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to December, 2005 Index

Posted by jjill_CA on 12/26/05 10:43pm
Msg #84623

I just received a letter in the mail...the only thing in it is a letter from the NV DMV to Mr. A, saying they cannot process a request because the application needs to be notarized. Also enclosed is the application and $10 cash. There is no note or request accompanying. My only guess is that Mr. A found my info and mailed it to me in order to notarize. I'm not even sure if Mr. A on the application is the one who sent this (the envelope return address was preprinted from a resort). Obviously I can not notarize, but I'm not sure if I should just send this back to who I think it came from or what to do??? There are two people listed on the application and no phone numbers. Any ideas? Thanks!

Reply by Christopher Rogers on 12/26/05 11:10pm
Msg #84624

I would just return it and pick a name that is on the form to return it to

Reply by Christopher Rogers on 12/26/05 11:10pm
Msg #84625

I would just return it and pick a name that is on the form to return it to

Reply by BetsyMI on 12/27/05 8:49am
Msg #84628

I'd try to see if I could find a phone number first, either from the phone book or at www.switchboard.com or www.whitepages.com. If there's no listing, you've tried your best and I would think it should be returned to the person on the form. You could also include a note saying to notarize they need to meet with a notary in person.

Reply by LilyMD on 12/27/05 9:07am
Msg #84631

Why would you go through the phone book? Totally unnecessary and not your job.

The only thing to do is to return the form to the person named. And as Betsy's final sentence states explain that they must meet with the notary.

Reply by BetsyMI on 12/27/05 11:53am
Msg #84641

Lily, I thought trying to find the person's phone number could result in a face to face meeting with the person, thus earning a little cash from this transaction. No it's not the responsibility of the notary to find the person, but to go the extra mile might have resulted in some business.

Reply by CaliNotary on 12/27/05 12:12pm
Msg #84645

10 bucks really isn't worth going the extra mile for.

Reply by BetsyMI on 12/27/05 12:16pm
Msg #84647

I would not go anywhere for $10 either. I don't know why I'm replying here. I would have tried to find the person's phone number, called them, offered to meet them for a travel fee, and conducted the business. The end.

Reply by jjill_CA on 12/27/05 12:34pm
Msg #84649

I, too, am thinking I will just return it to who it looks like sent it. I was just worried that if I sent it back to the wrong person, the right one would call wanting to know where his $10 is. I guess that's not really my problem, since he didn't do this right in the first place....just wanting to do the right thing. Thanks.

Reply by Anonymous on 12/27/05 1:32pm
Msg #84663

send it to me, i'll notarize it,,,

just kidding. i would return it to the dudes name on the application.

Reply by Stamper_WI on 12/27/05 2:11pm
Msg #84671

What is the application for? Drivers Licence? Is this a way to get a form of legal ID fraudently?
Just my paranoia setting in but if its for a form of Id, they would need another form I would think

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.