Notary Rotary
Honesty pays
Notary Discussion History

Honesty pays
Go Back to December, 2005 Index

Posted by CarolynCO on 12/23/05 7:41pm
Msg #84437

Honesty pays

Did a signing yesterday for a new TC. Wednesday I quoted them both my e-doc fee and overnight fee and was told that docs would be e-mailed. Confirmation arrived with e-doc fee. However, the docs arrived overnight and FedEx delivered yesterday morning.

I didn't get home from signings until midnight last night so I didn't fax invoices until this morning. I charged them the overnight fee instead of the confirmed e-doc fee. I received a call a short whle ago from accounting, already cutting my check, and told me that my invoice was incorrect and I was not charging them enough, and that possibly I had confused their invoice with another. I told them no that I was charging them for overnight docs because the docs were not e-mailed. She told me that I would get a bonus because she is not sure how many people would have simply charged them the full amount for e-docs and not for overnight docs.

Reply by John_NCal on 12/23/05 9:07pm
Msg #84441

Re: Honesty pays: I agree! nm

Reply by Peter Lipke on 12/23/05 9:57pm
Msg #84446

Congrats. I did that a couple of months ago and reduced my fee without mentioning it to them. The docs also came overnight rather than e-mail. But unlike you, I never heard from the ss. But I like them anyway because they are great to work with.

Reply by sragland on 12/23/05 10:22pm
Msg #84449

Invoices

Dumb question, does everyone fax in an invoice? I never have. We agree on the price and it is on the confirmation and so far I have gotten paid that price. Since I am new, I will take any advice!! :o)
And this forum is great at giving it! LOL

Sherri in Arkansas

Reply by AmandaCA on 12/23/05 10:41pm
Msg #84450

Re: Invoices

Sherri, if it is a TC or local Mrtg Co I always fax an invoice. SS's usually just email a confirmation w/agreed fee. I consider that an invoice. The only time I generate an invoice on a job like that is if additional fees are added, etc.

Welcome to the biz Sherri, it really is fun. The best job I have ever had and I have worked with some fine companies. I love meeting people and being my own boss. You will love it!

Reply by sragland on 12/23/05 11:02pm
Msg #84452

Thanks for the encouragement Amanda. It did not take long to feel comfortable with it. Of course I have been in the legal industry for a long time and a notary for over 10 years but in this business you are always learning and I love that aspect of it as well as meeting the people. It is almost as good as sitting in a crowded place and watching people! LOL!

I used to work with exchange students and enjoyed interviewing the Host Families. You meet some interesting people that way as well.

Have a safe and Merry Christmas all!
Sherri In Arkansas

Reply by REE_NJ on 12/23/05 11:06pm
Msg #84453

It will depend on the SS/TC/ML. The following are the different scenarios I experience based on the clients I presently have:
1. Once you login and enter in the applicable information (i.e. tracking, status of closing, etc.) this will automatically generate an invoice
2. do not require an invoice - the signing confirmation is the invoice - only require either Faxbacks or a call to confirm it closed
3. No invoice after signings but you send a month end statement of all closings you covered - they will only pay upon receipt of the monthly statement
4. Must fax an invoice after each signing

Reply by PAW_Fl on 12/24/05 7:22am
Msg #84503

I use QB for all my accounting so each and every job gets an invoice. I also either email, fax or include with the return docs, my invoice. This actually serves two purposes: (1) accurate record keeping for me; and (2) if there is a delay in payment, it's easy to show the previous invoice.

The only time I don't send individual invoices is with companies that pay on monthly statements. Even with these, individual invoices are generated and filed, but at the end of the billing cycle, a summary statement is generated and submitted.

Reply by sragland on 12/24/05 6:53pm
Msg #84561

Thanks for all the tips on the invoices and such. I guess you have to do what feels right after you take in all the information.

Merry Christmas All,
Sherri in Arkansas

Reply by Anonymous on 12/24/05 1:25am
Msg #84475

How much do you charge for overnight docs and what is that fee for? TIA

Reply by Jenny_CA on 12/24/05 1:50am
Msg #84480

I once received two checks for a Quitclaim Deed. I called the borrower and jokingly asked if that was a bonus for sending me out to the middle of nowhere. He said no, send check back. I thought " What's wrong with shredding it?"

Reply by PAW_Fl on 12/24/05 7:37am
Msg #84506

>>> " What's wrong with shredding it?" <<<

Many organizations use the 'paper trail' bookkeeping method. In this method, each and every check ever written needs to be accounted for in a paper file. Thus, a canceled or voided check must be placed in that file. So they want it back.

Banks today are making it more difficult to do that, since Check-21 was introduced. So those 'paper trails' may be coming to and end quickly. But that still doesn't negate the issue of the voided check for record purposes.

Reply by CarolynCO on 12/25/05 9:45am
Msg #84572

Re: who are you?

If you want questions answered, post some sort of handle with state identification. Also, use the orange button -- it's amazing the answers you will find.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.